Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #21
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Direct TV, on the HD DVR Receiver, has two tuners allowing you to record 2, while watching a previously recorded item. Now I'm wondering if it has the same capabilities as the Dish receiver in providing signals to a back BR tv.
Hmmm!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #22
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
We have Directv since last October and are happy with it. Friend got me set up and told me Dish will not allow you to change local channels. Was also told the same thing by a friend in Oleander Acres in Mission, TX. I just call and give new zip code to get new local channels. Contrary to what Rich reported when I switched to WI local channels I asked how to do it on line and the person I talked to said you couldn't do it as they used to and people were haveing too many problems doing it. The last add I saw in Highway Magazine Directv will give free tripod, dish, and 50 ft of cable if you RV.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Apparently what you can do with directtv or what they can do for you varies from person to person. Sometimes you need to keep calling and talking to different rep's till you find one that can do whatever you need them to do. I find that there are things we can do that directtv rep's told folks they cannot do. We have always been able to get local channels where ever we were yet some folks have been told that can not happen. When we came back from Florida after a 6 month winter stay the two receivers we left in the stick house were blank (authorization expired) and no local channels on any of them. Following the direction of a directtv rep we got them all working via our laptop and apparently that can not be done. We have found that with about any provider or company if you tell them what you need or want you will find a person that can do it for you. Right now we are trying to upgrade all our directtv equipment. We have been advised by directv that it will cost us @ 300.00 to do that.We are not buying that and will find a person that can do it at little or no cost to a long time subscriber.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #24
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
LOL richfaa... you are right on many counts which is why I mentioned DirecTV is more expensive but provides better service.

Points to know about DirecTV:

1. Not all service representatives will tell you the same thing because when you call their customer service you don't know if you are getting a short-timer or long-timer and in what region (blame their training programs).

2. You should always be able to get your local programming because you paid for it and it is programming into your receiver's card. I don't change it but if you are in a new location a call to DirecTV should get this set up. Mobile usage of your DirecTV is allowed and this makes it okay to do this.

3. I use good old-fashioned Kentucky windage to aim my old-fashioned dish/tripod/platform using a level and a compass. I don't always get the same values for finding the satellite (I can get anywhere between 92% and 98%) each time I set up. I also verify the transponder signals and they are not always be the same so this will affect what channels you get because if one says 0, then you won't get the channels associated with it. This all depends on how lazy I am and how much time I want to get to 100%. I usually set up on Transponder 1, then hope for the best on the others. You rich guys with the automatic aiming devices might fair better, but I can't comment.

4. Receivers not in service (powered on or connected to AC) will time out the settings even for the subscription card installed. After downloading the setting for your receiver based on the card, I believe the timeout is 30 days. Then the receiver automatically downloads the subscription. If your receiver has not been turned on or isn't connected to power these values go bye-bye but can be set in two ways. a.) Open the door for your subscription card and hit the red reset button, or b.) If the reset button does not work, call the toll free number and follow the phone menu to have the DirecTV satellite re-download your subscription (remember to wait for the informaton to be downloaded). I had to do this recently for the two receivers since it had been two months since they were powered on. There is a third possibility but is associated with the case of changing your service plan when the receiver lost its settings and this might require a call to a human to get this rectified.

5. Make sure ALL the wiring starting at the satellite dish is RG-6 or better (yes, there is better wiring) and RG-6 is in the trailer too. I know I have non-RG-6 in some places and must fiddle fart with wiring/connections to get this right since I don't always have the highest quality transponder values (100%). My last trip out, I averaged about 90% and was happy with the LR receiver, but the bedroom receiver only had about half the channels.

Yes, DirecTV is rocket science, but so are rigs, TVs and the gadgets we now use. We have to be much smarter to do more. That's why it's no longer called camping, it's called RVing.

I hope some of these hints (from my experience) helps,
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #25
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I think the key to receiving local channels is that you have to have a home system from which to begin. We got our DirecTV while on the road in Washington and had to use our Alaska address for a file address, in other words, we did not begin with local channels in a stick home. Someone can jump in here and correct me if I am wrong. We have the RV service only and do not get any local channels, just the East/West coast feeds.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You may be right Phil. I would like to experiment with that. You can reset your subscription on line with your lap top. Go to directtv, logon, go to bottom of page, click on support, click on sound and picture, click on any trouble code, click on refresh.

We set up our dish with a boy scout compass, a signal strength meter( but don't need it most of the time) and this. http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/dishPointer.jsp
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:31 AM   #27
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I have TV for a year now and am satisfied,when I got to Fl. I had to call them for a zip code change I told them I am in my winter address and I had a expiration code that had to be cleared (721)and a code (722) which they did right away.This is after I had my Sat all aimed which I had help with from another camper.When I got back to my home state (NY)I hooked up the dish and was watching TV for a short while when I realized I was still watch Florida channels.Called TV and told them I was at my summer address and had the zip code changed and I'm up and running.
What I do now is mark the dish with a marker at the Fl. setting and the NY settings for a easer set up.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #28
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
ohn,
We have DirecTV and have a receiver in the Monty. It is an extension of our home package and we pay the same for this additional as we do in the stick house. Have had good service with DTV.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #29
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Years ago when I first got DTV in my home I got them to e-mail me to confirm it was ok to take a reciever with me. No problem. I mounted a crank up on top of the Monty and it only takes a minute to set up. I check the elevation of the Sat and give it a quick twist to find the signal. If I am it trees it is a little more difficult so I get out my compass.

I never tried the "refresh" method so I am ready to try it on my next trip.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 AM   #30
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I am not subscribed to local channels and presently we do not desire it since we have the E-W channels ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX. I have my dish mounted on a 2X8 and when I set up, I merely point the dish in the approximate direction, and with my sensitivity meter in-line, I swivel the dish until I get maximum signal. After maximum signal is received, I check for more signal by minutely tipping the dish backward a little or forward a little to see if I have the elevation as good as possible. If I need an elevation change, I either loosen the nuts and adjust, or if I'm lazy, I put something under either the front or the rear of the board, as needed. It takes me all of three minutes to set up. I've tried beating that time, but can't--so far.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote