Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Two Snake Day!!

So, Cathy and I are walking a trail on a hill overlooking Hill AFB and the towns of Kaysville, Layton, Gilbert and God only knows how many other towns there are in this area, looking for a Geocache, when, all of a sudden, Phil STOPS dead in his tracks and jumps back about three feet. In front of him, on the trail, sunning itself is a three - four foot long SNAKE. Now somehow, over the years, Phil has picked up this hatred for snakes, kind of like Indiana Jones. He doesn't scream but he is surely not a happy camper at this point. I pick up some gravel from the trail and toss it to the skinny guy to get him to move, but he just lays there, I'm thinking he's thinking; "This is my trail and I will lay here as long as I want". Needing to get past this glorious creature of the hills and desert, I prods him with my walking stick, and a might fine stick it is. It does the trick and off he slithers. I am now on the lookout for snakes in front of me and off to the sides of the trail. We continue our trek up the mountain side and thru the glen and down to the canyon where a wonderful waterfall awaits us, AH life is grand......

But wait, there's more. I said a two snake day didn't I? Well we got off the hill safe and sound and headed to our next cache. This one was on the side of the road near a tree, about thirty feet off the beaten path. As I was walking toward my coordinates, looking between my GPS and the ground, I spy......Yep, Another one of Gods slithering creatures. I will admit that this one was smaller and almost a bright spotted orange and brown. Don't ask me what kind they were as I have no idea, being a non-snake person and all. By this time I am used to the distraction so I let him slither on past, but If I had dropped something, I guarantee it would still be there...We found the cache and called it a day and headed for the more mundane surroundings of Wally World. We picked up some supplies to plant our own Geocaches and will be placing one here and the others as we travel......

This Geocaching is a hoot. Great exercise and sometimes challenging. However, I could do without the creatures!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, Cathy says there were no rattles on these snakes so what's the big deal!!!!

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OKKKK, ya just convinced me, I don't have any interest in Geocaching.

What little interest I might have had, just went the way the snakes did,

SLITHER SLITHER

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I am glad you two are ok. I hate those nasty things too. It seems like there are more snakes this year than the last 4 or 5 years combined. It could also be this wet weather flooding them out of their remote hiding spots.

I opened the shed last week and sat down on my 4 wheeler. When I started it a 4 foot black snake went slithering out from the motor. I made a quick exit and had to regroup before I could dispose of the snake. I now have moth balls stuffed all over the shed to keep other snakes out.

Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Sound like you had an exciting adventure, but like Carol think I will pass on this experience. Snakes are not my favorite creatures. LOL
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also enjoy geocaching and watch for snakes but haven't seen any so far.

I enjoyed your story and got some good chuckles. But, I have to agree with Phil... any snake in my path gets the right of way !
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I used to raise snakes (boa constrictors) so I'm not afraid of snakes in general, but I DO treat them with respect. Having been bitten by a mountain rattlesnake when I was in my teens, I appreciate what one goes through when struck, so I avoid "playing" with wild snakes.
I try to avoid killing any creatures that belong in the wild more than I do, since it's their home, not mine.
As others have said above, I move on and let them be.
(Just another viewpoint.)
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Speaking of snakes this one was checking out our spot ...hubby says it is harmless sure hope he is right!

campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:47 AM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by campbud

Speaking of snakes this one was checking out our spot ...hubby says it is harmless sure hope he is right!
Thanks for the picture but you can keep the snake!
Old 07-04-2008, 05:13 AM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Campbud, this one looks like a gopher snake. Phil, the snake you saw with the Orange and Brown spots probably was a King snake, which are of the good kind. I still give them all the room they need. Even though you run across one of the creepy crawlers now and then, Geocaching is still a great way to see the area you are in. Be careful out there and enjoy Geocaching.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:11 AM   #10
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Phil,

Time to return to Alaska where there aren't any snakes.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:30 AM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Are there no lawyers in Alaska???
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote