Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2008, 05:20 AM   #1
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
elec fireplace query

Does the heating element in the electric fireplace ever glow red? Ours doesn't but it does put out heat.

illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:28 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have not noticed ours glowing red. Just feel the heat coming out.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:12 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
What John says -

We actually left ours on because of that. DW thought she shut it off but she only shut of the light. Put it in storage and plugged in and noticed a week later when I went in to get some stuff how warm it was for being 12 degrees outside . (Glad we weren't buying the electricity).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:33 AM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Nope, haven't seen ours turn red either. Just puts out heat. Which is nice since I sit in the recliner closest to the fireplace. Aaahhhhh!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Thanks, I was wondering if ours was defective. It does get plenty warm as I recall.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #6
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
No, I don't think I have ever seen ours glow either, but there is plenty of range of heat with the dial. Also, ours will not heat without the flames on. We found this out when our son was with us for couple of days. We wanted heat but he didn't want the lights flickering. That must be a new safety feature.
Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Our's is the same as Sharon's, You can have flames with out heat but no heat without flames. As for the heating element never notice it glowing, suspect if it did I would be worried that the fan was operating properly.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
Our fireplace gives out heat but it you don't seem to feel it more than about 4 feet away from it. I hear the fan blowing but is there away to get the heat to extend further into the Monty. I don't think we could keep our Monty warm with just the fireplace. What it does do, is keep the thermostat warm, since it is above the fireplace and to the side in the 3400 and that keeps the furnace from coming on as often.
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
No the fire place won't keep your Monty warm on a real cold night, but it will take the chill off on those cool evening, on real cold night we fire up the ceranic cube heater.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Our electric fireplace in the "Hannah Montana" will give us flames, heat or both. We absolutely love it so much that we bought a nice looking electric fireplace with an oak surround mantel for our bedroom. It costs 7 cents/hour to run with the heater and keeps the chill off the room. Gives the room a nice ambiance when running the flames and heater.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
No red heating element. We are surprised and pleased with the warmth it supplies. When the temperatures have dropped to near or below freezing, the fire place has been adequate to knock the chill off the room. With the fireplace and the furnace, we have been as warm as we wish.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:47 AM   #12
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
D&M,
Ours will heat or heat/flame as yours does. I think I like that feature as I have ran it without flames when we were sleeping.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #13
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
Sitting in front of the fireplace, now that's camping Monty style.

We have had folks stop by to watch the Ohio State Football games and with the fireplace going it makes for a great Saturday.

Love that camping in the fall, even if we do have to settle for it being weekends only. Jon
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:39 AM   #14
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
We enjoy our fireplace as well. The strength of the fan is not good for us. We don't feel any forced air feeling from the fan. Is that everyone's experience or do we have a defective fan?
I can hear the fan working but get little forced air out.
LCarter
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:13 AM   #15
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
This is our 1st weekend, we are using the fireplace to take the chill off. To balance the heat output, I reversed the direction of the ceiling fan and have it running on low. We do this on out stick house all the time as it has high ceilings. Reversing the fan disperses the heat off the ceiling and moves it down around the perimeter of the room with out the cool fan effect. Just remember to reverse the fan direction come summer. (Directional switch is on the metal body of the fan by the light and fan cords.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:40 AM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lcarter

The strength of the fan is not good for us. We don't feel any forced air feeling from the fan. Is that everyone's experience or do we have a defective fan?
I can hear the fan working but get little forced air out.
LCarter
We've had similar experiences - not great air movers. I thought it was just the nature of these, but I have tried other brands and there is a significant difference.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:13 AM   #17
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
lcarter,

Our electric heater does a good job of keeping our unit warm. Of course we don't camp in the snow and or really cold weather. Probably our coldest camping was a year or so ago in Quartzsite.

On our unit you can feel the fan pushing the air out of the heater. It's not a "hurricane" but it is noticeable.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #18
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Thanks! We have used the ceiling fan as mentioned and it works for distribution. Over time our fire place will heat up the living area but only supplementary in nature. We use the ceramic heater for heat if it gets really chilly.
LCarter
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #19
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
it helps a lot if you drop the grill in front of the heater , that way there is no restriction on the fan and you get 100% of the heat ours will heat it total but not at 32 deg outside , but it helps to get a head start on the elect heat as you know its going down so start it earler john good luck
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote