Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2005, 03:26 AM   #1
powerstroke73
Established Member

M.O.C. #4515
BP Oil #&$@^**(%$#

I was just reading this " BP said net profit for the three months ended Sept. 30 rose to $6.53 billion, up from $4.87 billion in the third quarter of 2004. Revenue jumped to $97.73 billion from $66.73 billion."
I dont mind any company making a profit that is why they are in business. BUT, I do mind when are telling me that it cost so much more to make the fuel and so on and and so on!! Im not going to boycott or anything like that. I like to drive and go places and take my trailer with me.I just like like to be fed a bunch of horse $%^#@. We just got home the other day and gas prices have dropped to a low of $2.29 a gallon but diesel was still at $3.19. I cant believe it. At one station there a differance of $1.11 a gallon between reg. gas and diesel. Soory to on about it, thanks for letting me vent. Hope all have a great day. I know I will cause I woke up breathing this morning.

powerstroke73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:05 AM   #2
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Aint it funny how the oil companies are making record profits and bragging about it. Seems wrong, but until we learn to be less dependt on them we will al pay the price.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:31 AM   #3
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I do not understand why in Tennessee you can get regular gas for 50 cents a gallon cheaper than we can in the NW and you have had a hurricane affecting your prices (?!).
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:32 AM   #4
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
This is an ongoing issue. Senator reid from Nevada published a report showing net profit increases for some of the big oil companies. Here's the link: http://reid.senate.gov/gasprices0504.cfm

Chevron-Texaco had a 294% increase in net profit. It is disgusting that these companies are showing double and triple digit percent increases in profits while gas prices have more than doubled over the same period.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:29 AM   #5
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Looks like it's a good time to own stock in the Oil Companies!
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:26 AM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Too late now to buy oil company stock.....should have had it 18 months ago.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:41 AM   #7
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Here in central Oregon fuel prices are always higher than anywhere else, and diesel continues to be higher than regular gas. Go figure!! I think whatever the public does it's not going to change things. Certain people want all of us to drive those small cars, so they blame SUV's, pickups, etc. for using so much fuel. News flash!! Even if there were no large vehicles they would still be gouging us!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:53 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The bad thing about it is that once we get used to paying these /@#//%$&*&& prices, they will never go down. We'll just keep on paying them. I for one am not going to stop traveling even though my Social Security check doesn't keep up with inflation.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:18 AM   #9
RnR
Established Member

M.O.C. #161
...and I think you maybe blaming the wrong people.
(Hint) What American family is extremly close to the Saudi gov't.?

Garry
RnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:55 AM   #10
powerstroke73
Established Member

M.O.C. #4515
They wantus to drive all the smallcars that get 50 or 60 mpg then thecostisgoing to be $10 or $11 a gallon cause they cant lose there profit margin.I know we need to come upwith better engery rescorces. When I was up north a few weeksago it seemsmostof the gas stations all had reg diesel and then had bio diesel as well. I dont know why we dont have it hardly anywhere here. And as far as prices go in Memphis we have a very large refinery. It supllies most all of the midsouth with there fuel. Seems to me that it would be cheaper here. I guess the bottom line is I HATE to pay it but im not going to stop livin and havin fun. So I guess ill keep buying it. As Yosimatie sam says @#^#@@#$%^*&*^%
powerstroke73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:36 AM   #11
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
There was never a shortage of diesel fuel! Just that they let up a little on unleaded to get the heat off them and continue to sock it to the diesel users.
WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:00 AM   #12
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
I wonder what the prices will be NEXT WINTER
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:13 AM   #13
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
The question is how do the oil companies make such a profit when they tell us that oil prices have gone up and that's why gas prices are going up. Seems to me that the providers of the oil are making the profit.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:19 AM   #14
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
First mistake, believing anything that the oil companies tell you. Second mistake, thinking the govenment will do anything about it. Our fearless leaders are much closer to the oil magnates than they are to us.....
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:48 PM   #15
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
It seems that the oil companies can't do anything with the money but put it in the bank. Think about it, when is the last time anybody let them search for and drill for oil in this country? How about letting them invest the $10B or so that it takes to build a refinery? A pipeline?

While I really do not like feeding the "Big Dog" at over $3.00/gal. I wonder if there is any upside to all this?

Who is doing anything with in oil shale in Colorado? How about converting coal to oil? Synthetic diesel? Bio-diesel? Right now - probably nobody.

Maybe if enough small investors (folks like us with only a few hundred to "play" with) could find such companies, we may have a chance to do something other than complain and could encourage independent competition.
But - who will step up?

houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:05 PM   #16
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
What they could do is lower the price so they weren't putting quite so much of our money in the bank.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:21 AM   #17
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I too have been baffled that they say their costs have gone up so the price increases are just keeping up. If that were true than their profits wouldn't change. Profits are derived from subtracting the cost of production and delivery from the price to the consumer. If your cost is $1 and you sell for $1.50 you make $0.50 profit. If your cost goes up to $2 you need to sell for $2.50 to make the SAME profit. How is it then that their price is just keeping up with the rise in cost if they are now making so much more profit???? How do you know an oil company CEO is lying???? His lips are moving!
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:32 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
For those of you on Social Security, how much do you want to bet that you won't see the increase in the cost of gas, diesel fuel, propane, and home heating oil in your cost of living increase in January 2006?
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:52 AM   #19
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
It would seem to me the following might help:
1.Plan shorter trips
2.Don't top off your tank
3.Encourage your congress person to push for a windfall profits tax
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:47 AM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am glad to finally see oil compaines making large profits. If we want to find other sources of fuel and oil, these companies need to make profits to invest in finding other oil fields or finding alternative fuel options. Has anyone looked at the cost it takes to build an off shore drilling rig? or the cost of finding and drilling new fields? What about all the oil that is in the shale over there in Wyoming and Colorado? These companies are trying to find ways to get the oil out off all that shale while doing it so it is cost efficient. I think folks need to pick up an annual report of these oil companies and see exactly where the money is going. Many oil companies give millions away each year to help communities and the less fortunate. I am probably going to get blasted for this post but I feel if you take a look at many company profits I think you will be amazed. How about Wal-mart??? Many rv folks love that store for their cheap prices. How do they get away with those prices? Poor wages, no health care or health care that cost too much for the average part time walmart worker to afford and most of all buying products overseas. But yet we still shop at walmart, why? I think we need to take care of the folks right here in these good old United States first. I did not post this to start a war, so please do not hate on me too bad. I just wish we could focus more on the good and less on the bad in things.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote