Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Generators

I recently found a 4KW gasoline generator on Amazon.com for $750 that will provide 30 amp service while dry camping. Here is a link to the one I found.

Generac Portable Products 9777

Ready to Buy?
Sign in to turn on 1-Click ordering.

Get it for less!
Have one to sell?

Don't have one?
We'll set one up for you.

Has anyone found anything better?

{Edited by Lady RV: Link caused a horizontal scroll bar.}

lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:52 AM   #2
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lasater

I recently found a 4KW gasoline generator on Amazon.com for $750 that will provide 30 amp service while dry camping. Here is a link to the one I found.

Generac Portable Products 9777

Has anyone found anything better?
Brad, There might be a couple other factors you may want to consider in addition to price in looking for a generator. I.e. weight and noise. I've been told that some generator above a certain dbs level are not allowed in some state parks or camping areas. Don't recall the specific #. Noisy generators don't make very good neighbors and if they're too heavy they can be a bear to move.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:28 PM   #3
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
At 72 db that generator make about as much noise as a busy factory. I am pretty sure that is not permitted in National Parks and on National Forest Service land. It may e prohibited in many state parks as well. You could probably hear that 1/4 mile away. By comparison, a Honda EU 2000 puts out 59 db which is less than the volume of ordinary speech. At about 30 feet you should barely hear it. The Honda is more expensive but it makes (or perhaps keeps) more friends.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
When we get a generator we will get the Honda's or Yamaha's as their decibel level is acceptable even for State and Federal Campgrounds. We'll eventual go with two of the 2000's instead of a larger 3000 simply because of the weight and ease of handling.

I know I would hate to be camped near someone running a loud generator.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:55 AM   #5
Montana_35
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #35
I went with the Honda 2000 also. Haven't used it yet one year later but like to have it in case the need arises. Take it out and run it every so often to keep it lubed and use Stabil in the gas to keep the carb clean. You can stand beside it while it is running and carry on a conversation in a normal speaking voice.
Montana_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:24 AM   #6
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We went with Onan Genset 3400 KW. Meets Forest Service standards. We went with the Propane fuel as we have a diesel truck and propane trailer. No need to carry gas for a generator. It came with its own case and with some work fit in the front compartment. They are nice when you need them. We have had it for ten years and this is the third rig it has been in.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:37 AM   #7
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cut N Shoot

I went with the Honda 2000 also. Haven't used it yet one year later but like to have it in case the need arises.
We went the 2 Honda 2000 route and boondocked about 2 weeks last season
and only ran the 2nd one parallel about 3 of those days when we had the
15000 BTU AC cranked and were drawing for alot of other stuff. From
April through September we use these just about every weekend outside
of the RV and they just humm like a dream. Honda just makes great stuff.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:45 PM   #8
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Looks like a good deal for me. I won't be using it anywhere except at my home. I needed 240 volts at 20 amps as well as 120 volts at 30 amps. This generator has these outlets as well as two other 120 volt outlets. Thanks Lasater for the post. I have been looking for about a week at some of my local sources. All seem to be out of generators of the type I need. I see where the shipping is free and also I will save on sales tax. I will probably order one of these units after a little more research. I also like the fact it ccmes with a set of wheels.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote