Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
billc1949
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12196
Best Route to Sacramento

Looking for the best route from Tucson to Sacramento. Averaging about 300 mi per day. Thanks for any advice.

Bill C

billc1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I don't know what makes a route the "best" route for you. But here is roughly what we do each year. You can drive to the identified cities directly on interstate highways, or you can take secondary (but still good) roads for some of the route.

Tucson to Quartzsite (~ 250 miles)
Quartzsite to Bakersfield (~ 350 miles)
Bakersfield to Sacramento (~ 280 miles)

Alternatively, consider:

Tucson to El Centro (~ 300 miles)
El Centro to Bakersfield (~ 310 miles)

From Tucson you don't have much choice in roads. I-10 or I-8 are it. Similarly, from Bakersfield to Sacramento use I-5. Don't even consider Hwy-99. But getting to Bakersfield offers a number of non-freeway routes which are interesting.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
billc1949
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12196
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

I don't know what makes a route the "best" route for you. But here is roughly what we do each year. You can drive to the identified cities directly on interstate highways, or you can take secondary (but still good) roads for some of the route.

Tucson to Quartzsite (~ 250 miles)
Quartzsite to Bakersfield (~ 350 miles)

Alternatively, consider:

Tucson to El Centro (~ 300 miles)
El Centro to Bakersfield (~ 310 miles)

From Tucson you don't have much choice in roads. I-10 or I-8 are it. Similarly, from Bakersfield to Sacramento use I-5. Don't even consider Hwy-99. But getting to Bakersfield offers a number of non-freeway routes which are interesting.
Carl,

Sent you a PM.
billc1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I agree with all of Carl n Susan's primary route but allow me to add more detail to help you avoid the So. Cal high traffic areas (it's not just in L.A.) I don't think you need to use the described alternate route at all - it's only 20 to 30 miles farther, but it's slower driving.

Tucson to Quartzsite (~250 miles) via I-10W. If you go past the Quartzsite/Ehrenberg/Blythe areas, the next best areas to overnight is almost 100 more miles starting at Indio. So I highly recommend this travel recommendation.

Quartzsite to Bakersfield (~ 350 miles). But here's the route to use to avoid THE MAJOR traffic areas (Rush hour is NOT an hour long any more). I-10W to I-215N, then, Hwy 138, to Hwy 18, to Hwy 14N, to Hwy 58 to Bakersfield. Not sure how you like things but while some of this is only 2 lanes either way, I prefer to use this route when towing because of speed and terrain and mostly avoiding some very fast passenger vehicle driving all around you.

Bakersfield to Sacramento (~ 280 miles). I would recommend stay on SR 99 from Bakersfield then go west at Hwy 46 (Hwy 58 to I-5N has lots of slow trucks), then take I-5N to Sacramento. Hwy 99 (parallel to I-5 has lots of towns and traffic and stops are tight. Using I-5N is designed for large rig passing through and there are bunches of roomy truck stop type places.

Let us know if you'd like more detail on the route and if you need help finding overnight stops, let us know what you like to use and where you're stopping and we might be able to provide some recommendations. Since I've lived relatively nearby (L.A. county, then Orange County, and now Riverside County) I haven't stayed many places but I know where many of them are.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote