Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bobby, what happened is the Teamsters and maybe other truckers' organizations used to scream very loudly when diesel prices climbed because it ate into or eliminated their profit. Then our wonderful politicians allowed them to write contracts based on expected fuel cost and then to add a surcharge to cover the difference if the price goes up. Thus their profit is no longer affected and they don't scream and holler when prices go up. We consumers and little guys get to pay it both in our retail product prices and at the pump. Nobody listens to us.

When we started fulltiming, diesel was $1.209 per gallon and gasoline was $1.259. In my guesstimate for future costs I figured in two to three years it would be at $1.509 per gallon. One of the worst guesses I've ever made.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #22
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Steve, the teamsters and all trucker’s organizations should still be screaming. They may get to add the surcharge that affects their fuel cost, but everyone and that includes the truckers and their family still has to pay the higher cost for everything we purchase like food!!! Because the world’s goods still have to move by truck.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #23
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Typically teamsters DRIVE company trucks - it is the company that is concerned with the diesel prices, not the drivers. Different situation with owner/operators, of course, but they are not teamsters.
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:41 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are sensitive to the smell of Diesel. In the old days we worked at the airport and the smell of jet fuel would make me sick. One of the reasons we never got a diesel was the smell of the fuel.

ULSD has a softer smell and I could tell the difference between ULSD and LSD. Many BP statiob have black diesel pump handles.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote