Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2011, 05:05 AM   #1
artandsherry2
Established Member

M.O.C. #10176
Remote control thermostat

We purchased our preowned 3400RL in early 2010 and just love it! My problem is the remote control thermostat. It "may" hold the temp +/-5* but that would at time be a stretch! My question is this, can I replace it with a digital thermostat like the one we have at home? The RV sales/service at home said "no" & it would take $200+ to replace it with "special order parts"! Anyone else have this problem and what did you do? Thanks to all in advance.

artandsherry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There was a long thread (30+ pages or so) about the infamous remote control, its shortcomings, and (most important) how to replace it (including pictures) with the Comfort Control Center (CCC) model.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...control,center

A search of the archives (click on "Archived Posts" in the Search In area) should locate lots of information about this really bad idea. Dometic used to replace them under warranty, but I doubt they will do so now. You will want the CCC model and not just any thermostat from Home Depot. Reading the old posts will tell you why.

The post above will be invaluable when you finally go ahead and make the change.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
They are right. You need to contact duotherm with the model and serial number off of your air conditioner. Pull the filter down and the info is there. You need a new control box that is inside the air unit and a thermostat that will replace the wall sensor. They will be able to help you. Don't know about current cost. They send detailed instructions and very good phone help also.
You must have an 04-06 Montana I think that is the only years that they had that nightmare.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
artandsherry2
Established Member

M.O.C. #10176
Thanks for the reply. Yes, our Montana is a 2005 3400RL. I just couldn't believe the only fix is a fairly costly replacement compaired to digital units for home use but I'm satisfied it is. I'll pursue this fix when winter's over and we return home. Thanks again
Old 02-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Art I have a 06 that we got in the summer of 05 new. I think they only used that for about 6 months the most wasted use of money ever. I ordered mine from the dealer but found out later you could get them from dometic. I payed 200$ for mine they were sending them out later for free just my luck. But it is still the best money you can spend and easy install. you won't believe the diff it makes. it will keep the temp constant no problem.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
artandsherry2
Established Member

M.O.C. #10176
Thanks to all who answered my query. Much appreciated even though I was hoping someone would tell me I could ue se a digital one from Lowes or Home Depot designed for home use. I am going to order one of the Climate Controls from Dometic as soon as we get back home. Thanks again to all who took the time to answer me.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Art the problem I found was that the little sensor and the control box is connected with a 4 wire telephone jack and wire. so the one from lowes or home depot would have to be wired like the one in a house. some folks have used them but to me it is alot easyer to just replace the control box and the remote sensor and just plug them in. JMHO.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote