Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2007, 03:48 AM   #1
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Two batteries for 3400?

We are in the middle of an 8 week trip through the west and have encountered a problem extending the siled outs. The first three extend without a problem, when the large slide out starts suddenly everything stops. We have found that if we wait for about 10 seconds all is ok and the slide will extend. This is happening on retraction too. We called Keystone and they told us that we need a parallel fuse installed between battery and motor, since the slide system uses 60 amps. They are sending a part to Bob Scott RV in Grand Fork, Co. where we will be next week for installation. When we talked with the technician at Bob Scott he seemed surprised we didn't have two batteries. Is this a fix that we have missed and or is there something else we can do to alleviate this problem?

JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:57 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Some of us do have two batteries, but not for that reason. Batteries are supplied by the dealers, not Keystone, so unless you specified anything special, you likely have a small battery. Extra battery capacity can be useful if you dry camp, or overnight without 120v power.

The larger fuse will likely solve your problem, but you might also make sure that your slide mechanism is properly lubricated, so that it is not putting an abnormal load on the hydraulic pump motor. It is not really necessary, but whenever possible, we try to have the shore power connected while operating the slides and legs. Two batteries might be a nice thing for you to have for other reasons, but I don't think that by itself would cure your slide problem.

Hope this helps, probably others will have some other suggestions as well.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Most good dealers make sure you have two batteries, if for nothing more than the dc voltage storage. If I only had one I would invest in another.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have also heard that if you do decide to upgrade to two batteries, make sure you get two NEW batteries of the same type and amp-hrs. Otherwise you can overheat one or the other. Apparently, they can charge unevenly. Even a problem with the same type/size batt of DIFFERENT ages.

So if I ever upgrade, I will ditch my little 75 amp/hr Interstate - which has been working incredibly well these past 13 months of FTing - and get two new of the identical age/brand/size.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have two batteries in parallel, same voltage, double current, Had them on our last three campers. We do not boondock, always have C.G power and always hookup to power before the slides come out. I would say that under normal conditions one battery is enough..two will not hurt..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Been running one battery from June 2003, Al tells me it is time to buy a new one. Sorry don't know the make make or model or power of what is in there, he has added water on a regular basis, and so far, knock on wood, this poor lonely soul has managed to open and close the slides as required. (We usually use only battery for opening and closing slides.)

We have only boondocked one night since we have owned her.

As far as the slides stopping movement, we only experience this (so far) in the winter) but the commonly accepted fix is another fuse, as explained in this thread.

We agree with OntMont's take on this problem.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
If you don't dry camp, two 12v batteries are not necessary.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
wegriffin
Established Member

M.O.C. #7411
If you are connected to shore power, the battery is not part of the equation unless you have a very low power inverter. How will putting fuse in parallel to another fuse affect the power to the motor? A fuse is either good or bad (blown)---there is no in between...a circuit breaker is another animal altogether. If there is a circuit breaker in the circuit, and if it overheats, then you would have to allow some downtime for it to cool and the contacts to be back together again.....

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimnJulie

We are in the middle of an 8 week trip through the west and have encountered a problem extending the siled outs. The first three extend without a problem, when the large slide out starts suddenly everything stops. We have found that if we wait for about 10 seconds all is ok and the slide will extend. This is happening on retraction too. We called Keystone and they told us that we need a parallel fuse installed between battery and motor, since the slide system uses 60 amps. They are sending a part to Bob Scott RV in Grand Fork, Co. where we will be next week for installation. When we talked with the technician at Bob Scott he seemed surprised we didn't have two batteries. Is this a fix that we have missed and or is there something else we can do to alleviate this problem?
wegriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
These coaches have 12 volt circuit breakers that trip when they get hot from too much current. Once they cool down they will reset. By placing another circuit breaker in parallel to the existing one, you split the current between the two circuit breakers which keeps them from tripping. A single higher amperage rated circuit breaker would do the same thing. I can only assume that Keystone has sized the wire appropriately for the amperage required.

We had problems with the 12 volt circuit breaker tripping when we brought our slides in or out when we first bought our coach. We apparently had a weak circuit breaker as I replaced it with a new one of the same amperage and have had no additional problems.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Eagle Man

If you don't dry camp, two 12v batteries are not necessary.
Eagle Man,
You are absolutely correct. But it sure is nice to have that extra capacity when needed. In my case, I have two Lifeline D8 batteries with a total of 510 amps of power. It allows me to dry camp for days on end and if there is no sun to recharge them through my solar panels, then my Honda 2000 will charge them up in a hurry.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:25 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Jim and Julie,

I believe the parallel fuse has been the correct fix. Not sure a second battery would have helped this issue. We upgraded the battery system, but our rig came from the factory with one 12V 72 series.

Wegriffen - The converters are 55A, so it is relatively easy to overload them when operating the slides on shore power without a battery installed. The battery really needs to take the brunt of load. You are correct on the breaker issue. Seems the Lippert recommended fix is to use the parallel fuse system in lieu of the factory breaker.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote