Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
Ejenkins
Established Member

M.O.C. #9799
How do I secure awning rail?

Coming back from a trip yesterday I noticed the two bottom rivets had come out from the left awning rail. I duct taped that section to get home. . When I got home I noticed the two middle rivets are hanging half out. Since this rail is only attached to the fiberglass (not screwed into anything sense) how do I replace these four rivets? Would a stainless steel toggle screw do the trick? Thanks

I pull a 2010 3150

Ejenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I would think if the rivets are pulled, the hole is going to be too big to be repaired by more rivets. Without seeing it, is there an option to use carriage bolts clear through to the inside and use a sleeve cut to the correct length (wall thickness) to keep from collapsing the wall?

Mark
Old 05-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

How about a picture so we can see what rail you are talking about.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If the rivets just go through the siding or attach into a wall stud how about butterfly nuts. You drill a hole the nut will go through shove the nut with the screw attached through the hole the wings expand to about an inch or larger and will not come out.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I think Lynwood has the cure for your problem. I think the butterfly nuts or possibly even the expanding anchors that you use in drywall would work best. If you do be sure to use some sealant to put around and in the hole so you don't get water into the wall at the point of securing the awning rail. Just be sure not to "overtighten" the screws/bolts or you may crack the fiberglass and then it's an even bigger problem.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote