Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dennis and Mary

I convinced my friends to come to the Island, my praise, and endless emails and pictures, wore them down, their first year here was like a dream for them, they were hooked. The newly retired mid-western couple had worked hard all their lives, Dennis a Police Sargent, Mary, an office manager at Edward Jones, an investment agency where I had my meager retirement portfolio. Dennis and Mary stayed here last year at Isla Blanca, in their Cardinal 5th wheel, a spacious trailer they were very comfortable with.
This year went by with many wonderful walks on the beach, an occasional dinner out, gathering with new friends, a continuation of the dream.
Three days ago, Dennis made an emergency appointment in Progresso with a Dentist, as his dental needs developed rapidly. He was lucky to get the appointment on such short notice. Upon his examination, the problems were found to be severe. He had to have 5 hours of mind numbing dental work, the extreme feared by all of us when going in for our appointments.
To be fair, the dentist had no idea such extreme work was needed, they kept at it until the grinding, and fabrication work was complete. 5 hours worth.
That night, as Dennis and Mary slept, Dennis woke with a seizure, he stopped breathing, and when revived, extreme temperature and sweating. His legs were shaking uncontrollably, Mary called 911, the ambulance, police, pumper truck, EMT's all arrived and provided Dennis with the emergency help he needed. He was transported to Brownsville to the Valley Medical Center.
Sparkette and I visited them the next day. The consensus was that there was an overdose of Lydacane, Dennis just arrived tonight at Isla Blanca.
Poor Mary slept in a chair next to his hospital bed for two nights, two long days were spent by his side as well. She is a saint, one I am proud to call a friend.
I cooked a big batch of Chicken soup for them, and delivered it for the first meal at home. Who among us would not be comforted by some hearty Chicken soup and fresh crackers...
I know my Sparkette would be there for me, and I for her, in a similar situation, but would not wish it on my worst enemy.
Look to your soul-mate, love them and cherish them, in such an instance they will be there for you

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
God bless, Jim.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
As always you're a class act!
Great job.
Thanks for the reminder.
Chuck
ps great friends can be hard to come by
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Scary. Hope Dennis has a speedy recovery. I would be curious to know which dentist he used in Progreso? We use one occasionally there ourselves. Wonder if it would cause any problems to post the dentist name or location on here? Perhaps others might want to know as well.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:08 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I will find out, it was right after crossing the bridge, I know that much.
I got a response from a local here, they said that is not uncommon to have complications from Mexican dentists work.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Hope Dennis is doing ok..... Knew Ozz was that kinda stand up and help guy. He's just as they say Kewl....
Only one thing now, I have to do Ozz Mod's and become a chef too. Will there even be enough time.
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Wow! Sure keeping him in our prayers. Dennis and Mary.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Guys and gals, Mary has kept her sense of humor through this ordeal, she wrote me a poem, and an update on Dennis.
GOOD Friends are few and far between
But you're ahead of the pack!
Perhaps some would even reach out
To give the shirt off their back.
And you have now proven what you'll do:
The shirt, the pants, socks & shoes, too!

Not only that, you deliver
Them miles afar
In your Deisel "flivver".
And when we arrived home at last, at last
You blessed us with food to break our fast!

Chicken soup with huge chunks of meat,
Lots of carrots and celery too.
Packed full of vitamins not to be beat,
A prize winning recipe for the Blue!

Thank you just isn't any where near adequate for the help you've given. We even had enough soup left over for
our lunch today if we add a half sandwich. IF Jim has a recipe, I'd like it. But sometimes the best soups are
just done on experience and throw in a pinch of this and that. It was delicious and filling. I didn't know how
tired I was until I came through the door back home.

Dennis is still having a little headache, maybe from the fit of his new teeth, the stress, or the fact his meds were
given in a different order than he is used to. We plan to stay pretty low key today & see if it passes. We have
also started warm salt water rinses for the dental work so his mouth feels better.

God bless you both!
Mary & Dennis
Old 02-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
This wish is for a speedy recovery. Dental work can be serious. I have had extensive dental work. So my heart goes out to anyone going through this. It is not fun.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:49 AM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
When reading this I knew the chicken soup was going to be a big hit...perfect choice for comfort foods.
If I ever find myself in position to need a hand, I would only hope someone like Ozz would be around to make sure things get taken care of...a friend indeed...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:47 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dusty, the dental work alone is miserable, then to have the complications...a nightmare.
Thanks for the nice words Ozzie, you and your bride would be the ones to jump to the aid of one of your friends. You are an example of the quintessential mid-western backbones of our country. Your wife, a nurse, is a telling example.