Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
Montana_2205
Established Member

M.O.C. #2205
Backing Procedures

As a government employee (contractor as opposed to civil servant), we have procedures for everything we do. As many have expressed in other discussions, backing seems to be an interesting subject. On our shake down cruise, I asked Cindy to only find camp grounds with pull throughs. The thought of having to back Mo the monster sent chills down my spine. The first place we stopped was so crowded that if it was a shower, you couldn't get in it with a new bar of soap (turns out it was a former KOA).

We had a pull through, but I almost didn't have enough room. A couple of other folks had to move their trucks just so I would have enough room. There was three rows for campers. The middle row was for pull throughs and the two side rows had to back in. I don't see how they managed to back some of those rigs.

There has to be a standard way to approach a back in. If the approach puts the site on the left side, do you get as far to the left as possible and then pull your rig up until the tires pass the site or until the back end passes the site or what? Having a long wheel based truck, I am also concerned about having clearance on the right side as I back.

Our previous camper was an 18 foot pop up camper and even then I found challenges. Cindy says that's because the sites we were given were for small trailers and we would probably have larger sites for our Montana. I've also noticed that some sites are at more of an angle than others and that would appear to make it a little less difficult.

I think I will go to an old Wal-Mart parking lot and practice before our next trip, but any instructions would be appreciated.

Scott

Montana_2205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:33 PM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Yes backing them in can be intimidating. But with practice and slow going you can do it. Sometimes it's more difficult getting them out (going forward) of a tight campsite when there is not enough room to make the turn to exit the site. One of the tricks we use is having FRS radios thus I can get verbal directions on the blind spots as I'm backing it in. Each campground/campsite is a new adventure but with more time handling your rig you will be OK.

Steve
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:01 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Hank, here is a web site I found helpful:

Newbie Driver

Hope this helps.

dw

I should have said that this site is for new TRUCK drivers, but the same principles hold for a fifth wheel trailer. dw
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:03 PM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
And here is the entire thread on another forum:

RV Net backing thread
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 04:02 PM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Scott;

For starters, when you check in tell the clerk your rig is "x" feet long, that will help get you a big site [when they have any concept of size]. We usually tell them our's is 35' long and has 3 slides. When we get to the site, I get as close the the same side as the site and pull past it, turning away so that the rig picks up some of the entry angle. I usually try to get the rear of the rig well past the site entrance [10'-20'] before starting to back. I back very slowly as Mary watches both sides and ABOVE for things that go "jump". We use a FRS radio to communicate. She will tell me which direction [road/curb or driver/passenger or your side/my side] I need to move the rear of the trailor. She also trys to stay visible in the mirrors [as long as she can see me in them, I can see her]. Whenever I have a question in my mind, I get out and look. Get some cardboard boxes and practice in a parking lot to get a feel for turning radii, speed, clearances and commo. It might also help to adjust your mirrors so you can just see the top edge of the rig wheelwell on the inside radius of the turn and still see your spotter. This will help you locate where your are in relation to the site. Finally, if you feel you can't get into a site, ask for a different one. We've done that many times.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 04:17 PM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Scott,

It looks like you got a couple of good links to read so I am saving them myself.

I don't think I will ever be anything but a novice at backing but I am improving plus I have a smaller rig but I have some rules I try to follow.

1. I try to pick my backin site so that when I am backing I can see the trailer tires on the drivers side.

2. I hold on to the steering wheel at the bottom. I turn the wheel in the direction I want my trailer rear to go.

3. Some novices may lay a ribbon or something in the area you want the drivers side trailer tires to be so you have a good reference.

4. Use FRS radios and have your co-pilot talk to you concerning obstructions and children. Instruct your co-pilot to notify you first if children run by rather than trying to stop the children first. That way you can stop immediately.

5. Other campers will try to help. They want you to turn a wheel a certain way. Just politely tell them you would appreciate if they watch for obstructions and stay in site of the rear view mirrors. You will handle the driving part. I have had theee different people telling me how to turn.

6. As I start my turn I try to set my arc. For me I ease into it. Once the arc is set I try to maintain it until the trailer gets in place.

7. Don't hit the cab of the truck!

Now I am going to read the links. Practice, practice, practice.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 04:33 PM   #7
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I forgot to remind you to remember to watch the front of the truck also, thing jump out and get you there also.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 04:34 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, Skip explained it just about exactly the way we back, also. By the way, FRS is basically a walkie-talkie. Ours was $30 at Walmart, including a charger for the rechargeable batteries. FRS is also known as 'marriage saver'.

Like Tom, I keep my hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. To move the back of the trailer to the left I move the bottom of the steering wheel to the left.

In my estimation the biggest mistake I see (and I have made in the past) is to back too fast. Just take it VERY slow and make very small steering corrections. And as others said, if in doubt get out and look for yourself. I do that at least once unless it's an unusually easy site.

Don't be afraid to pull out and start over. You won't be the first nor the last. I've done it a number of times and will do it a number of times in the future. Your practice idea is a good one.

Good luck and, most of all, have fun.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 06:55 PM   #9
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
The only problem I have in backing is Dodge in their wisdom tied reverse to second gear so when backing you tend to be going twenty miles an hour backward. NO fun. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:25 PM   #10
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the great postings. Nice things to know. Keep us posted. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:29 PM   #11
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
One other thing: If the road surface permits, use 4-LO when backing.

This will reduce overheating, let you go slower, and give you much more control.
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:59 AM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Also don' forget to look up I hit a low hanging Palm in Venice Fl.No damage.Remember these Montana's are high

no damage Montana's are high
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:01 PM   #13
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Scott,

First let me say, Welcome to the world of 5th wheeling. It's a little different than your tag-a-long when backing into a site. These are my principals or guidelines.

1. Maneuver, Maneuver, Maneuver. That meaning, you will most often have to back up, pull forward, back up and pull forward. Maybe several or many times. Never think you are going to pull up to spot and just "back in". There are too many variables and conditions to to that. As you have learned, even a "pull through" can be a challenge".

2. Like has been mentioned always try for a site that you spot from the drivers side. Because once you know you have clearance once you go into a turn, on both sides, then spotting yourself down the drivers side makes you look like a star.

3. I don't use the "bottom of the steering wheel technique". I just know I turn the wheel in the opposite direction I want the 5th wheel to go. This is why your spotter is important. You need to make clear from the beginning, are you tell me which way to turn the steering wheel or which way do you want the 5'r to go. Makes a big difference. I have had spotters change rules in the middle and it ends up in a lot of confusion.

4. Get out of your truck. Look at where you want your 5'r to go and think about what you will need to to do to put it there. if you cannot see your spotter, and they think you can, get out of your truck and look around, see where you are and keep working at it. On thing I know, is that shear determination will get you into your site if you stay focused on where you want to put the fiver.

5. Like someone else mentioned. It's the stuff in front of you truck that trips you up the most and causes you to have to make more maneuvers. You can move picnic tables. you cannot move trees or people's cars that are not home to move them or light poles.

6. I have been given sites, that when I go an look at them, I know there is no way my Montana is going to fit. That's when you go back to the office and say, "No way". They know that and they'll give you one of those sites they are saving for that "big rig". Or if they insist, I say, "Ok, send me your spotter". If they do and I make it in, then I have learned something and not wasted a lot of my time.

7. Never be afraid to ask for help. (meaning a good spotter) Never think you are taking to long to back in. You take as much time as you need and don't be concerned about what you think other's are thinking. We have all been there and done that.

8. If you are determined to back into a site...you will! Know that and enjoy the experience! It's quite fun if you If you look at where you want your 5'r to go and put it there. No matter how long it takes.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 05:39 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Really good advice, BJ. Sounds like we both have scars from this maneuver.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 03:05 AM   #15
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
Padredw,

Great article on backing. I'll be trying some of the techniques discussed. I'm getting a little better with "chasing" the trailer now that I've had it a few months. Still need a lot of practice.

In two weeks I'll be at Bethpage in Urbanna, VA for their Oyster Festival weekend. They double book the sites. I'll need to back the rig in for sure that weekend. The information in the web site you sent will be very helpful.

Thanks,
Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:11 AM   #16
Montana_152
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #152
Had a spot in Florida I had to back in. After 10 trys and attracting quite
an audience, I asked if any of them were truck drivers. One guy was and offered
to back it in for me. He did on the first try and then gave me some insights on backing.
Kind of like docking a large boat, if you are moving you are going to fast. No embarrasment
in asking for help.
Montana_152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:36 AM   #17
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
If you rae having a lot of trouble and a crowd gathers have your spotter "sell tickets". Never worry about it. We are lucky as our driveway entrance is very narrow with a rock wall on one side. After that RV parks are roomy. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:18 AM   #18
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Thanks for all the good advice on backing!! Bill is pretty good at it after years with a sailboat in tow. Pat is still in the beginner stage--and still pretty nervous about it. We do have the walkie talkie and it works great as long as we remember to push the button down at the right time! LOL
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:41 PM   #19
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Good artcle on backing. It's as much mental as anything. To %^$&% with what other people think! Do it your way and in your own time and remember those having a laugh at your expense had the same issues as you at some point.

Funny thing you say about pushing the buttons in on the FRS units. Often in the mirror I see Glenda talking but she hasn't pushed the button in all the way. This is good for a laugh or two.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:06 PM   #20
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chester

Often in the mirror I see Glenda talking but she hasn't pushed the button in all the way. This is good for a laugh or two.
Hey Chester - I hope Glenda doesn't see this one!

But when you think about it, there's a lot of poeple out there who talk, but "haven't pushed the button in all the way", if ya know what I mean!
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote