Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2004, 08:29 AM   #1
Steve Ryan
Established Member

M.O.C. #2002
found a loose wire

I found a loose wire up in the electrical junction box that is mounted to the king pin box. The reason I even looked in there was the junction box was loose. The wire is orange with a black stripe. It is teamed together with the blue wire, I believe the blue wire is the brake wire. The orange wire looks like it was "wire nutted" to someting at one time.
All the other wires look OK. Red to red, green to green, brown to brown. The Brakeway switch is wired white to ground and black to the blue wire. There is a #10-12 black wire that is "hot" all the time,I assume this is coming from the battery.
If anyone can take look at what they have, maybe I can figure out where the orange wire goes.
The two trips we have made with our 2955 have been great. Everything seems to be working fine. Buying the fifth used always leaves a few questions in the back of my head.
This is a great site to be part of and any information from the fellow Montana owners would be great. Thanks

Steve Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 12:46 PM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Steve I just checked mine & all the wires are joined to same color except the orange & black stripped & on mine it was wired nuted togather with 2 black wires. One black wire was larger than the other. Hope this helps. Ours is 3575 03 model.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 06:38 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
On my 04 2955 the orange/black wire is wire nutted together wih the 2 black wires.
As Steve pointed out one black is a heavier gauge than the other. They are also the only black wires in the box. Not sure what the orange/black wire is for.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:02 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Great Post! Thanks for sharing that info. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:11 AM   #5
Steve Ryan
Established Member

M.O.C. #2002
Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate you guys looking inside the junction box. It makes some sense that all the black wires are nutted together. How this orange wire got loose or taken apart from the rest is interesting to say the least. I'll put it all back together this weekend, hook up the truck and check everything out.

Does Keystone put a wire schematic(dc and ac circuits) of the entire fifth wheel in with the owner documents? All I found was the diagram how to wire up the truck to the fifth.

Thanks again for helping me out.
Steve Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 10:37 AM   #6
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steve Ryan

... Does Keystone put a wire schematic(dc and ac circuits) of the entire fifth wheel in with the owner documents? ...
No wiring diagrams are available. Not even to the Montana Dealer's Service Department!

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote