Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2004, 11:22 AM   #1
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
3400rl privacy curtain

Have any other owners of the 3400rl model tried using their bedroom privacy curtain? If so, did you have an problems using it? Well we did.
We took our grown kids and their family with us a couple different times camping this year and tried to use this curtain to allow the kids bathroom access without using the sliding pocket door during the night. The way this curtain is installed is incredible. It is held, when not in use, against the wall between the chest of drawers and the bathroom sink. To use it, one unlatches it and drags it along in its plastic ceiling guide to the wall between the mirror linen closet and the bed. This brings it so close to the bed, that I can't get between it and bed and makes it really unhandy to attach and unattach to use. It is a bad design, because when my wife wants to use the bathroom during the night, she can't get between the curtain and the bed to unlatch the it. Needless to say, this is not a smart idea. It would have been much better to have this ceiling curtain guide relocated to the wall between the shower stall and this mirror linen closet.

Has anyone else experienced this? I think Keystone blew this one.

Gary & Carole

cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:14 PM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Ours is located between the shower stall and the mirror linen closet, the only problem is you must put it up to put the slide out or it will get behind the seal of the bedroom slide. I just stick it in the shower door towel rack before the slide is put out.
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 04:46 PM   #3
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
William -
What year is your 3400rl? Ours is 2005, even though it was delivered on 5-20-04. If yours is a 2004, I can understand the difference. But if it is a 2005, then I find this to be odd, unless of course, Keystone realized their error and made the appropiate modifications.

Let me see if I have your situation correct. From what you said, your curtain, while not being used, is unextended and secured between the shower stall and the mirror linen cabinet. Is this the case?
In our situation, the curtain is unextended and secured between the bathroom sink and the chest of drawers in front of the large bedroom window. To use this curtain, you must unsnap the retaining strap and drag it in the ceiling guide molding to a point between the bed and the mirror linen cabinet, where there is a bracket to engage a mating part on the curtain. As I said in the first message, if the ceiling guide molding was designed to go to the wall between the shower stall and the mirror linen cabinet, this would work. This arrangement would be satisfactory and would be much more user friendly.

Thanks for the information. Let me know if I have your situation correctly.

Gary & Carole
Old 09-14-2004, 05:15 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Okay, you made me go look. We haven't used ours yet. We have a 2005 3400RL and yes the curtain is way to close to the bed. But I just pushed it and the bottom kind of swings out even though still attached at the top. Since there is just the 2 of us, we hadn't even tried it yet. We rarely have company but did use this feature in our old unit. Now our camping buddies have grown up or moved away.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:58 PM   #5
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We also have that curtain in our 2002 3295RK. It really is a bad design. I've heard they changed it to a better design on newer 3295RK models. I am surprised that they still used it on other newer models.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:53 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
After thinking about this I remember the curtain in the 2004 that we looked at was really a curtain, soft cloth no rigid ends. That is why it can be tucked into the shower towel rack. On the 2005 not only did they move the location, they changed the type. It is now like a accordian folding door. Rigid plastic on each end and cloth like vertical cloth blinds for the "curtain" part. If it was the soft cloth type, you could just push it away to get out of bed. Maybe it could be replaced with a curtain using the same track so you wouldn't have holes in the ceiling.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:34 AM   #7
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Do you have a curtain or sliding doors on your 3295RK? We have a 2002 also and we have 2 sliding type pocket doors that go between the bedroom and the bathroom. One thing I didn't like was that they are so high off the ground. Our 25# dog can crawl under the doors and so can our 5yo when they are closed.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

We also have that curtain in our 2002 3295RK. It really is a bad design. I've heard they changed it to a better design on newer 3295RK models. I am surprised that they still used it on other newer models.

Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:35 AM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Melissa..... we have an early 2002 3295RK that we bought off the dealer's lot in June of 2001. It has the cloth curtain between the bedroom and bathroom which we don't like as it gives absolutely no privacy and is very close to the bed. Our 65lb dog can crawl under it, and come to think of it.... so can our kids when they want to harass the dog. Our kids are 18 & 20 years old.

Montana makes changes to it's models all year long. They don't wait and introduce their changes on the next year's models like car manufacturers do. So you could line up a bunch of 2002 3295's and they'd probably all have something done a little bit differently.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:42 AM   #9
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Oh my word! Your 18 and 20yo's can crawl under the curtain? Now that is bad, why bother installing one in the first place?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

Melissa..... we have an early 2002 3295RK that we bought off the dealer's lot in June of 2001. It has the cloth curtain between the bedroom and bathroom which we don't like as it gives absolutely no privacy and is very close to the bed. Our 65lb dog can crawl under it, and come to think of it.... so can our kids when they want to harass the dog. Our kids are 18 & 20 years old.

Montana makes changes to it's models all year long. They don't wait and introduce their changes on the next year's models like car manufacturers do. So you could line up a bunch of 2002 3295's and they'd probably all have something done a little bit differently.

Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:49 AM   #10
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We have the same kind of curtain in our 3685FL stupid idea. You can see through ours. Doesn't really close tight enough either. Whenever someone is using the bathroom, you can hear everything.
We have been trying to figure out how to put something with more privacy up, but can't think of anything yet. The track curves. Bad design.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:41 AM   #11
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Gary and Carole,
You have our situation right, havent used it much but it is not in the way when not being used.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:51 PM   #12
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
William -
As I now know how your privacy curtain is laid out, I wonder what genius changed what was a good design, to one (as in our case) that is a obvious bad design. I mean, with your design, you or your wife during the night, could get up and open the curtain and use the bathroom refasten the curtain and return to bed quite easily. Why screw with something that is working. The most amazing part of this whole matter is when they changed the location of the curtain, and tried it out (to see if it worked) someone must have looked at the position of the curtain along side of the bed and thought - "My goodness, it sure is close to the bed."
As you might assume, I don't have much patience with stupidity.

Thanks for the reply and of course to all the others for their input on this issue. I will try to see if Montana has any of the older track design available and install it myself.

Gary & Carole
Old 09-15-2004, 10:27 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well maybe I got lucky on this one. My privacy curtain is located between the shower and the armoire. When extended it clips to the locking latch on the wall to the left of the water closet door. You are able to use the bath room if coming up from the living room area without having to open the curtain. You will not be able to use the bath sink, but I just have guests use the kitchen sink instead at night. Not only can I walk around my bed, I can even get into my armoire to get an extra blanket or what not without having to open or close the privacy curtain. The only problem, which is not that big of one is getting the curtain tie back unsnapped between the shower and the slide wall. I usually dont snap it back until summer is over and we are back on the road, otherwise it stays out of the way against the shower. I would be asking your dealer if they can help change the location of your curtain to make it easier to use.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 05:18 PM   #14
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Montana Sky:
Looks like you did get lucky with your purchase. I noticed that your unit is a 2004 model. Ours is a 2005 and it looks like someone didn't do their homework on this one. I have looked over my situation and can not see why they would have changed it. Had they left it like yours is, it would be fine. I think I will be contacting Keystone for some answers on this.

Oh, by the way, I did change to towing my FW in the tow haul mode and without locking out the overdrive and it works great now. It shifts when it is needed and I now get 11 mpg. Thanks for the suggestions, fot it has helped alot. Next challenge is to go out of State and see how it handles the hills and Mountains going South or out to Yellowstone. I have to admit, I'm intimidated in regards to the mountain towing.

Gary & Carole
Old 09-24-2004, 06:49 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gary & Carole,
Hopefully Keystone or your dealership can help resolve this problem for you soon. Glad to hear you are getting better mileage towing now and that your truck is doing well. I bet once you have a few more local trips under your belt you will be out on the highways in no time. I just got home from a 5 day trip back to So. Dakota and passed 4 Montana's, and 3 Big Sky's on my 2,200 mile trip. I have taken my 3400RL up and over 6,600 feet in Montana and the truck and coach did great! Yellowstone is one of my three destinations this coming summer. Hope to see you there.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 07:51 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've only had a chance at the rally so far to see just a few of the changes others have made but if you're interested in a beautiful privacy curtain, you ought to see what Countryfolks have done with their rig.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 04:59 PM   #17
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Steve:

I would be most interested to see what Countryfolks have done with their privatcy curtain. Are there any pictures of it?

Gary & Carole
Old 09-25-2004, 07:37 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't have any but maybe Countryfolks or someone else does. FYI, here at the rally there is no campground provision for modem connection. I don't know if Countryfolks has a cell phone to connect with or not. If not, he may not see this until they return home.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote