Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
What do you do if Level Up fails?

Am giving serious consideration to adding the 6 point Level Up system to our 2007 3400RL. I have had the switch that controls the front legs go out once requiring the use of the hand crank to unhitch the trailer. If the Level Up system fails while you are hooked up how do you unhitch?

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Unless you blow a hydraulic line, it's not likely to fail
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
Rick G
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19030
What if the level-up circuit panel fails?
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:21 PM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
You can open and close control valves manually and can operate the hydraulic pump via an electric drill. Lippert has all the instructions for manual operation.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Lippert does a decent job of documenting their Level-Up system. Here is an excerpt from the Owners Manual (Page 10)

Rev: 03.01.2016 Page 10 Level-Up® (Towable) Owners Manual
Manual Override
The LCI Level-Up® Automatic Leveling System can be manually operated with an electric drill. In the event of
electrical or system failure, this manual method of extending and retracting the jacks can be used. See the
instructions below.
Note: Unhook the power unit motor from the power source prior to attempting the manual override
procedure.
1. Locate the valves that are paired with the landing gear or leveling jack to be manually overridden.
A. Landing Gear - Valve located on the landing gear (Fig. 8).
B. Leveling Jacks - Valve located on manifold (Fig. 9).
2. Using a 5/32” hex wrench, open the valve by turning the manual override set screw clockwise (Fig. 10A).

3. Remove protective label (Fig. 11A) from power unit to reveal the manual override coupler.

4. Using an electric drill with a 1/4" hex bit, insert the hex bit into the manual override coupler to manually
operate the Level-Up system (Fig. 12).
A. Run the drill forward (clockwise) to retract the landing gear or leveling jack (Fig. 12A).
B. Run the drill in reverse (counterclockwise) to extend the landing gear or leveling jack (Fig. 12B).
5. Be sure to turn the manual override set screw on the valve (Fig. 13A) back to the counterclockwise
position after extending or retracting the landing gear or leveling jack.

While you can go to the Lippert web site ( www.lci1.com ) to find their manuals, I haven't been too successful at it. I either Google for it (which works) or, better yet, get the "myLCI" app for your phone or tablet where all the info is right there in an organized format.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Like Carl illustrated ... the level up system (if it's hydraulic) uses the same pump and reservoir that is used by the slide outs. Using a drill motor with a 1/4" allen key in the chuck inserted into the end of the pump motor supplies the pumping action for the fluid. The other valve work mentioned isolates the slides and opens the appropriate valve for the extension/retraction of the hydraulic rams. It sounds a bit complicated, but it is really simple after you do it once. Just remember to return the valves to how they were set before you went manual.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:04 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Well I finally found where the manuals and information sheets are hidden on the Lippert web site. The myLCI App is much easier, but if you want to use a browser for the hydraulic Level-UP system, go to https://www.lci1.com/support-center/ and in the right frame click on "Leveling and Stabilization", "Hydraulic Landing" and then "Towable <br> Level-Up&reg". That should take you to a web page specific to the level up systems where you can select either "Manuals" or "Technical Information Sheets" (aka as "LIP Sheets"). As I wrote before, the myLCI App is *MUCH* easier to use.

The manuals and information sheets are PDFs. Open one up and do a "Save As' to store a copy on your local storage where it is available all the time. Be sure to get "TI - 191: Adding Anti-Stiction Fluid...". You will want to have this handy when the "clunks" start.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:38 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
And the control panel does fail. Dealer was useless. Talked with Lippert direct and they overnighted a replacement to me. Easy plug connection and then reprogramming of the system.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:47 AM   #9
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Like Carl illustrated ... the level up system (if it's hydraulic) uses the same pump and reservoir that is used by the slide outs. Using a drill motor with a 1/4" allen key in the chuck inserted into the end of the pump motor supplies the pumping action for the fluid. The other valve work mentioned isolates the slides and opens the appropriate valve for the extension/retraction of the hydraulic rams. It sounds a bit complicated, but it is really simple after you do it once. Just remember to return the valves to how they were set before you went manual.
This is not quite true.. If adding a Levelup system to a older trailer they add a separate pump and reservoir. I can not say for sure if this is sure on say a 2015 model year but believe it to be true in all situations if the system is added after delivering from factory. I just had mine installed a couple of months back so I know it's true on our 2002. I hope I never have to break out the drill to manually override...
Old 04-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #10
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
failure

We added the Lippert system to our 2011 3400 and with one exception it has worked well. Last year it failed. All the legs fully extended ane we were unable to get them to retract. Tried every thing we could think of to no avail.

After 4 remote service guys also had no luck we finally called Cousin Gary RV in Redding, CA (where we had purchased the Monty and who is now a Lippert dealer ansd their service guy said there are three things I can try. He tried the two easiest first, no luck.

Finally had to disconnect all the lines at the jacks and drain the fluid. This allowed him to manually retract the legs. We then went to his shop and he was able to replace a part (I forget what the is) and that fixed it.

One year later and no problems.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:06 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Ours was added at the Lippert factory and uses just one pump for everything.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:29 PM   #12
D2IKType
Established Member

M.O.C. #13220
I installed a four point Ground Up in 2012. The vendor sold the rights to Lippert for 5th wheel applications. Although they still make similar units for truck bed campers, they do not support the gear they sold to me. So, a word of caution -keep all the parts to your landing gear and real stabalizers; I did. There is no guarantee that Lippert will always support the product and you may have to switch back.
D2IKType is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #13
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Drifty1 ... thanks for your input on older units ... it must be unit specific as DQDick's install was a single reservoir. All OEM units I've looked at with "level up" including SOB's from say 2015 have but a single pump/reservoir. I had a 2000 2850RK and remember the pump had a tiny reservoir compared to todays units, so that's probably why you got another pump/reservoir. My old 2000's pump/reservoir had a manual pump handle right on it in case of electrical failure, so one didn't need to worry about getting out a drill motor. To bad they discontinued that handy backup system many years ago.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:47 AM   #14
rafael33155
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13290
Send a message via MSN to rafael33155
on factory 6 point leveling system the valve in the manifold open the rear the middle leveling jack and slide-out the valve for the front landing gear is on the driver side landing jack
rafael33155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:10 PM   #15
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty1 View Post
This is not quite true.. If adding a Levelup system to a older trailer they add a separate pump and reservoir. I can not say for sure if this is sure on say a 2015 model year but believe it to be true in all situations if the system is added after delivering from factory. I just had mine installed a couple of months back so I know it's true on our 2002. I hope I never have to break out the drill to manually override...
I also had the 6 point Levelup added to my 2010 3150RL by Lippert. It has a reservoir and pump that are separate from the one that operates my slides.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:12 PM   #16
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kidd View Post
We added the Lippert system to our 2011 3400 and with one exception it has worked well. Last year it failed. All the legs fully extended ane we were unable to get them to retract. Tried every thing we could think of to no avail.

After 4 remote service guys also had no luck we finally called Cousin Gary RV in Redding, CA (where we had purchased the Monty and who is now a Lippert dealer ansd their service guy said there are three things I can try. He tried the two easiest first, no luck.

Finally had to disconnect all the lines at the jacks and drain the fluid. This allowed him to manually retract the legs. We then went to his shop and he was able to replace a part (I forget what the is) and that fixed it.

One year later and no problems.
I'd like to know what the part was that he replaced that resolved the issue. Thanks!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote