Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2015, 02:19 AM   #1
levi
Established Member

M.O.C. #14689
Terrorism

We are so very sorry to witness another mass shooting, this time in California. What a traumatic tragedy. This event, especially for those closest to the wounded and murdered, will leave deep scars for their lifetimes. As of the time of the writing of these remarks, a motive for the senseless event is not published. Regardless of the reason, terror is, undoubtedly, in the hearts of those closest to the event. I am wondering about the response of the rv community in the U.S., especially with regard to whether or not we think of the potential for civil unrest, riots, demonstrations, and terrorist acts when we plan the when, where, and why we travel in any direction to any destination.

levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:46 AM   #2
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Our local PC newspaper said, "so far, police have said they have not ruled out terrorism." Ya think!
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:55 AM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, what could it be? I don't lie awake at night worrying about it, but the threat is real
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:30 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I live my life not worrying about it. Just another "if" in life...can't think about what could happen if you were in the wrong place. I know it sounds kind of matter of fact or fortune teller...but the only time there will be peace on earth is when the human species is extinct. john
Old 12-04-2015, 08:14 AM   #5
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
FBI just announced it is now investigating it as Terrorism against the US.
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:50 AM   #6
levi
Established Member

M.O.C. #14689
Thanks for the remarks. To me, it seems like a no-brainer, that it was terrorism. Further, I suppose that responsible authorities have to be cautious when they point fingers at Islamic fundamentalist extremists who have some twisted religious ideology that they believe is being served by these atrocities. I guess Rudy Giuliani's advice to "...not be afraid, be aware..." is timely and wise.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #7
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
We all need to vigilant and aware of our surroundings and those around us and cannot be afraid to report to the local authorities if something or someone seems out of place. Better to be safe than sorry. We have to move away from "we might offend" someone for fear their feelings will be hurt if we profile them. We all have or will be profiled for something....

Old 12-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The FBI spokesperson when interviewed said " we will go were the evidence takes us" so be it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
levi
Established Member

M.O.C. #14689
During the evening news tonight, they finally showed a picture of the wife who was from Pakistan. We'll pray for the victims and their families. In the meantime, everyone have a happy and blessed Christmas season!
Old 12-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #10
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Just a little FYI. I am in the insurance business. Commercial (business )policies exclude terrorism. Clients have the option to purchase terrorism insurance but I have never had one elect to buy it. Once the incident is declared an act of terrorism by the Secretary of the Treasury, coverage ceases to exist, thus a premature declaration can have devastating effects to more innocent people.

The caution exercised by the FBI, is easy to understand given the vast insurance implications. All to often, we (me included) cast judgement when we don't know or understand all of the facts.

For those that want a quick primer on terrorism insurance, check this out:
http://www.iii.org/article/understan...rism-insurance

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #11
levi
Established Member

M.O.C. #14689
Excellent point, brenko! That thought never entered my head. More evidence of wisdom in numbers... thank you for introducing this very relevant caution into the equation!
Old 12-05-2015, 02:47 AM   #12
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bigboomer

We all need to vigilant and aware of our surroundings and those around us and cannot be afraid to report to the local authorities if something or someone seems out of place. Better to be safe than sorry. We have to move away from "we might offend" someone for fear their feelings will be hurt if we profile them. We all have or will be profiled for something....

I agree with Bigboomer 100%. As a private citizen you do not have to be worried about someone accusing you of "profiling". If you see someone or something that just doesn't look right or looks suspicious then call the authorities. It could be something as simple as a suspicious acting traveler in a rest area, or a obvious non-American shopper purchasing suspicious things at a store. It may turn out to be nothing but let the authorities check it and decide.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:14 AM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Can't understand why the act of profiling has been deemed a taboo, absurd IMHO.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:24 AM   #14
andylparish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17188
Where I live, they have banned the nativity scene from our government facilities and I just read an article where they banned any reference of Christ from a school CHRISTMAS celebration. I really don't want to get on my soap box, BUT, my 55 year upbringing says that Christmas is a celebration of Christ birthday!!

For those of you that want to take that out of Christmas, GET YOUR OWN HOLIDAY!

This nation was based on Christianity and we as a people are allowing that to slip away and when that slips away then the evils of the world get a foothold. And that is my opinion of what is transpiring in this country, and it will continue to get worse as we relax our morals.

Look at what happened to Rome.

Just my view!

Mountain Home, Arkansas
andylparish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:28 AM   #15
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
2X that
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:18 PM   #16
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
x3 that. Merry Christmas
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:07 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I find the threat we have at this time in history to be real, I also feel the random violence will increase dramatically. The Isis scourge, social unrest, copycat and the mentally unstable will continue to be a threat to our way of life.
I hired an ex-Navy 'shooter' that was a bodyguard in Haiti after the earthquake they had there. We trained all day one day a week for 5 sessions, my wife for 3 sessions. I went through 3,000 rounds of 9mm.
If I put my pants on, I am armed.
If you do not choose to arm yourself, be aware. When you leave your vehicle shopping, or sightseeing look around you check to see if anything is 'wrong' or unusual with people you see. I don't alter travel plans or locations, except where I am uncomfortable for my reasons. We still meet people, sightsee, make new friends. But you can bet I am checking my 'Six'. I advise you to do the same.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:50 AM   #18
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
Christmas is the season for love and peace, emotions I attempt to keep in my heart everyday. There have always been crazy people doing bad things during my lifetime but I refuse to let hate take over my heart.

Of course there are some common sense things we should and can do better as people and a nation. Ozz has it right. I heard there is a 1 in 4 million chance of being involved in a mass shooting and a 1 in 8000 chance of being injured in a car, check your tire air pressure. History is filled with examples murders in the name of God, Christians and non-Christians, remember Ireland, the Crusades, Manson, Jim Jones, McVey etc. my son reminded me that we are living in a time when there is less murder in the name of God than any other time in history

I live in a multi cultural and religious neighborhood and something wonderful happened just the other day. My next door neighbors from Saudi and Pakistan with a 2ish year old child, about the same age as my only grandchild. My wife asked if she could deliver a gift for their child for Christmas, knowing they are not Christians. Their response, of course. My wife said she would bring it over Christmas Day and the fathers response was no, and with tears in his eyes said I want my son to wake in his crib Christams morning with your gift. Wow. Love is everywhere if we just open our hearts.

Merry Christmas to all and may God look over those families in San Bernardino.
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:15 AM   #19
levi
Established Member

M.O.C. #14689
Well said, Scott & Fran.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:19 AM   #20
Happycamperscolorado
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15881
4x that