Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
New Problem for Part Timers

At our COE lake there is always a lack of campsites over the holidays. Since many folks have a family tradition of getting together out there, folks get on the reservation system January 2 and by about the middle of March all the campsites that can be reserved are. That causes folks to bring out their campers or tents and put them on the unreserveable sites the week before. Some just stick a kid size tent out there, but others use a large tent that they intend to use along with their camper. They have to pay for the site, but they have a spot and many of the unreserveable spots are nice ones right on the water. There have been problems before, tents getting blown in the lake etc, but this year tents are being stolen. Several coves are all unreserveable sites and in the past there have been volunteer maintenance folks camped at the single "volunteer" site in each cove (we were one last year). The sequester cut the money for the supplies those folks would have been using this year so no one is there. In addition, money was cut from the summer ranger program so night patrols are cut down. As a result it's not just coolers and fishing gear being taken and the holiday ruined. Whole shelters now have to be replaced.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
It is a real shame that our culture has degenerated to the point someone steal another person's shelter.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Sad that some people would stoop to this. We are at our favorite park, Chester Frost Park, on Chickamauga Lake which is part of the Tennessee River in Chattanooga. The park is full and has been for days as people prepare for the July 4th holiday. This park is first come-first served on all sites. When renting here, you do not have to occupy with anything on the site as long as the fee is paid. Have NEVER heard of the problems you described happening here.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Never happened here until this year. Hope they can catch the folks. This far out in the boonies they almost have to be local.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Now I remember why I joined membership only Resorts, none of that B.S. goes on at those places I stopped going to state parks etc... along time ago for that reason and many others, it cost a few bucks to buy into but worth it to me
Old 07-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
What a shame. Ethics are gone. Sounds like they need to hide a game motion sensor camera and prosecute!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There have always been people who steal. We have been fortunate over the years at campgrounds and on the road and have never had a problem. Last year thief's tore off my bed cover on my truck at a Ford Dealership while it was parked outside overnight which it should not have been. They did not take anything from the truck, just camping stuff back there but they did take wheels and tires off new cars.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
At some places that I go to, they have rules that do not allow unattended campsite squatting/holding like you mentioned, there must be someone staying at the site every night or they will boot you out of the campground when you do show up.

It is probably someone that can't show up a week early, or afford an extra week of fees for camping, who is really upset about it and is pulling out tent stakes so the squatters tents blow away, or are "disappearing them" outright.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Now I remember why I joined membership only Resorts, none of that B.S. goes on at those places I stopped going to state parks etc... along time ago for that reason and many others, it cost a few bucks to buy into but worth it to me
We joined 1000 Trails a couple of years ago, but let it dropped after we discovered they started renting out sites for the summer. When we got there, all the nice spots were taken...usually by an empty RV.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yeah I heard 1000 trails was doing that but usually they do not give them the good spots ,we do not belong to 1000 trails our Resorts do not do that..(KM Resorts,Coast to Coast ,R.P.I.,R.O.D)you can only stay for 2 weeks at a time and you cannot reserve a spot it is first come first serve you can not "live" there