Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Awning rafter off kilter; won't sqeeze onto arms

We have a problem closing our awning. Everything goes smoothly until the awning is rolled up and the rafters are against the arms. We can't squeeze the rafter onto the arms to engage the latch because the the tops of the rafters are a bit to the left of each arm rather than directly over the arm. We rolled and unrolled the awning about 10 times this evening trying to get things lined up, but we couldn't do it. I guess we could get a rubber mallet and see if we could hit the left tops of the rafters enough to knock them a bit to the right, which would put them in line with the arms, but no telling what other problems we'd cause doing that. Besides, that would be an act of desperation rather than a fix!

Any ideas about why the rafters aren't lining up with the arms so that we can securely close the awning? Any fixes?

Thanks.
Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I have had to hit mine now since 2009 and its the only fix i came up with. Also bend the top part out a bit so it slides in ease.
sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Try tugging the fabric left or right on the awning roller thingy.

It tends to drift, and that is when we had issues sounding much like you suggest.

Al really had to tug at ours, and yes just about every time. Only time ours has been out now in last 3 years was to clean it last summer, it had moss growing in there.

Tana Grows Moss
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
ours is off to the right, what it looks like I need to pull the top to the left about an inch. which should square it back up. I did move it a little bit when it happened and it looks like that will work. will try this weekend,FINALLY able to use trailer since the second week of june. It is a nightmare when you try to pack up and you can't get a simple thing like that to work.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Carol is correct,
If your awning arms are to the left in the closed position then open the awning all the way. Stand on the right end of the awning roll up and pull/slide the awning material towards you about an Inch and try it. Adjust as needed.
Good luck.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
With the awning in the down position measure from the ends to the awning fabric and make sure it is centered.Slide the roller right or left to center it. Make a mark or use a piece of vinyl tape to mark the sides of the fabric then close it. With the marks you can check it to make sure it is centered before you roll it up next time
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Yup, I've got the same problem and I was told by George(Jay Bird) what my problem is and will be taking care of that problem before heading out in about two weeks or so. All I'm hoping for is that the awning material does not rip when I tug on it. I'm thinking the awning material is the original and since the Monte is a 2004 I'm going to keep my fingers crossed when I to the tugging! I'll let you know waht happens.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Mine is actually the frame, I believe. It's only one end that won't snug up and when I take it down the road I have to get up on a ladder and just smack it with my palm.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #9
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
I belong to the "smack & swear" group, too.
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Carolyn,
Like everyone has said, the fabric on the roller actually slid left or right of where it belongs to roll up evenly. With the awning rolled out, pull the fabric across the roller, it actually will slide easily.

Once you find the place where it rolls up and the arms are centered, roll it out one more time and mark the roller with a marker pen for a reference to future roll-ups.

A hammer is a tool to be used sparingly by only knowledgeable hands.
Do not hit or force the arms, they are not the problem.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Mine is actually the frame, I believe. It's only one end that won't snug up and when I take it down the road I have to get up on a ladder and just smack it with my palm.
Same here, just one end (right end facing it). I don't smack it though. I do stand on a short ladder and reach up and squeeze the arms togther and they easily snap togther. Squeezing at the bottom doesn't work, only if I am up a few feet.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
On ours, only ONE end snags, the other rolls up completely snapping into the proper place. It is the fabric in our case, even tho it is only one end that will not seat correctly.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Once you get her centered...you could put an aluminum screw in the groove outside of fabric at each end to "hold" it true which is how I fixed mine so it won't move ever again!
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
After rolling the awning up and down about 10 times today, it's finally getting close to where it should be. We tried pulling it by hand, but it wouldn't budge, maybe because it was wet from a rain yesterday. Every suggestion is appreciated!

Carolyn
Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #15
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Carolyn,

Ours does the same thing and is really "off" if we leave it out an extended period. I rolled ours up yesterday after 4 months at our work camping gig. The arms were about 3" off so I did the pull the fabric routine which usually works but would hardly budge this time. I did get it to move some and got it closer to closing, only about 2" off now. I got the ladder out and rolled the awning up as far as it would go, climbed the ladder and was then able to shove the tube toward the rear to align the bars. The tube moved pretty easy which kind of surprised me but I am still getting sick of wrestling this thing everytime we want to use it.
I do have the screws in the fabric but it still moves (twists) out of position
One good tip is once the fabric is in the proper position draw a line with a sharpy on the roller tube so you can see where to position it next time. I learned this from Glenn (RIP) and it is a big help.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #16
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I too have had no luck pulling on the fabric, I found that a hard push on the end of the tube works better
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

I too have had no luck pulling on the fabric, I found that a hard push on the end of the tube works better
Actually, pulling on the fabric and pushing on the tube at the same time...... it should slide easily.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #18
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Mine are always off 1-2". I stand on the top step of the entry stairs next to one arm and push it until it snaps on. Usually takes several shoves. One more thing DW could never do...
Conveniently that one arm is right next to the door so I can reach it.
Inconveniently, the awning doesn't keep the entry steps/door dry in the rain. We deploy it for shade and easing the AC load.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #19
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
If the fabric won't slide when in the down position, use the arm braces to raise the main tube a couple of inches to take the tension off of the fabric. It should slide easily then.
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:26 AM   #20
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We certainly don't feel alone with the awning problem any more!

Carolyn