Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
How do we get the fireplace out?

Well, we got the kit from Dimplex to replace the power thingie and the fan/blower on our fireplace. Looks not too technical. and I think we could manage that part ourselves.

The problem, however, is getting the dang thing out of the cabinetry to do the work! There are screws here and there into the surrounding woodwork, but the screw heads are INSIDE the woodwork. Looks like perhaps some of the facing/woodwork around the fireplace was put into place after the fireplace was installed.

YIKES. There are a total of six screw heads visible in different places but even taking those out would not seem to make any difference, as more are in place with the heads embedded into the woodwork. We have not seen any way to get to those screw heads besides ripping out the woodwork, which we do not intend to do.

Paperwork with the fireplace suggests you just slide it out of the cabinetry. Right. It is in there so snug we'd be scraping, marring, chipping or downright breaking our beautiful wood.

Are we missing something here? Perhaps it is time for a call to Keystone for assistance/suggestions.

Signed us perplexed in NJ!

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
coyoterick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10239
The screwheads should just be countersunk behind the plugs. Take a look here:

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/i...w&t=1224536277
coyoterick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Well, that makes perfect sense but I sure as heck didn't see any plugs. After looking again, no we have no such plugs and again, no visible means of getting to the embedded screws. I've placed a call for some tech support on this. It's a long story. . .
Old 03-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Mine has 4 screws located in the four corners of the fireplace. I had to look for them the first time because the screws are black and pretty much blend in with the fireplace.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #5
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
What Jim said. I had to replace my fan and controller (free from manufacturer, of course) as well.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:20 AM   #6
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Thanks, all. We just started taking out screws that were visible and bingo! It slid right out. Had us stumped a bit at first, though.