Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Wildfires - ugh!

Well into our ten week trip we're near Yosemite, but the smoke and ash falling like snow is unbelievable. Can't see more than a mile or so. Guess we'll have to buy some DVDs!

Old 09-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Keep a good eye of those flames and don't let them get to close. Stay safe and have fun.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I can sympathize. Summer 2013 we had to evacuate southern Colorado (as did all other RV parks and the entire town of South Fork) just 3 days into our planned 3 week stay. Moved on and made the best of it.

Be careful out there.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
We were on Pre-Evac status at the same time. Fire made it to within 10 miles of the house.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

I can sympathize. Summer 2013 we had to evacuate southern Colorado (as did all other RV parks and the entire town of South Fork) just 3 days into our planned 3 week stay. Moved on and made the best of it.

Be careful out there.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:00 AM   #5
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
The fire that is making all the smoke at Yosemite, the Butte Fire, started about 4 or 5 miles south of the Jackson Rancheria where the Western Montana gathering was held this year. Started 3 days ago and is now is over 60,000 acres and only 5% contained. I live about 12 miles West of the fire and the smoke is very thick and you can not even see the sun in the day time.
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You can't go anywhere in Central California without being exposed to smoke and ash. Besides the Butte fire in the Jackson area, there is a small fire, the Tenaya fire, on the north rim of Yosemite, and then the Rough fire in the Sequoia/Kings Canyon area that is around 130,000 acres and still growing. We are at the in-law's south of Yosemite, and the smoke is extremely bad, causing school game cancellations, and affecting a large portion of the population with breathing issues. Can't wait for El Nino.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Finally getting clear sky's. Couple small outbreaks, but big fires are better. Now if the predicted hard winter hits we get mud slides! Oh joy...
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:13 AM   #8
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
The hills around here are dry as a bone. Its been over 100 the last 3 days. yesterday it was nice. cloudy and 80"s out. I can't believe people throw cigarettes out the window in the dry grass. There hasn't been any lightning here for a while and grass doesn't self ignite. The fire in Jackson is growing fast. My son and family lives in Jackson.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:41 AM   #9
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Went into the park yesterday and could barely make any of the peaks out. Wasn't smoky in the valley itself, but with no water in the falls and not much else to see, we bought the Blu-Ray version and watched it last night! Going to Fresno tomorrow for a week, then Half Moon Bay for the same, and then home to Virginia. Next year's trip will be further north, taking in Glacier and maybe getting to the coast. Hopefully, there won't be any fires as we'll be going earlier in the year.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:35 PM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Hope you enjoy Fresno. Also hope you can find a decent RV park there, as there really aren't any that we are aware of.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #11
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
We're at Blackstone North RV Park. I put a review on campgroundreviews.com earlier. Reasonably priced and not bad for an older CG.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Does any one but me wonder if the drout the west coast is experienceing that is causing these fires is the new norm or is it just a temporary severe problem. I can't even imagine fires like they are having. What do these poor people do if they run out of water? We have been without water for a week or so and that gets tough. We can always go to a spring and get water but to know you are not going to have water for as long in the future as you can see is a real problem. What would you do????
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #13
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The droughts are common, have been many over history. I just talked to a fellow with the Forest Service yesterday while getting fuel, and he said part of the problem is the drought, but the bigger issue is the lack of fires. Historically, fires occurred quite often, burned out the under brush regularly, and the forest stayed healthy. Without fires, and also without logging, the brush buildup in many western forests has gotten dangerously dense, so when a fire happens, the treetops get involved and that is what they are seeing here. The water situation would not have happened if a few of the water storage projects that had been proposed over the past 20 or 30 years had been built. The loss of hundreds of homes is sad, but just like parts of the country where people live in flood plains and get flooded, a lot of people love living in the forested areas, and accept the risk.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:31 AM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks rohrmann. I think we transfered what works back east to out west. Here you put out fires. That works. That don't work out west. As you pointed out and we can see.
Lynwood
Edit
I just read a California scientist says that the lack of snow pac could be a once in 3100 year event and this is the smallest snow pac in the last 500 years.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #15
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Hate to say it, but logging does NOT get rid of brush - it only makes more.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:03 AM   #16
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Yes, but controlled logging along with fires also thins the forest out and allows new growth. It helps remove dead and diseased trees. Fires are "Mother Natures" way of cleaning out the forest floor. Many trees and plants only regenerate after the heat of fires open their seed pods and cones to allow the seeds to go to work and grow healthy new trees and plants.

I am 100% completely for conservation and protecting our forests and wildland areas!! I have fought the fires in the forests, wildlands and deserts out west for over 36 years, but I have to say that I have Never once had a "Preaching Tree Hugger" standing next to me with a shovel helping fight those fires!! I have had many loggers, ranchers and farmers helping me though!

Sorry, I don't mean to get on my soapbox or start a war here! I just feel very strong about this subject and have lost several good friends trying to fight and control these fires!!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote