Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Memorial Day Camping?

I am off to Trinity Lake KOA in Trinity County, California. It's 68 miles from Redding, but takes about 1 45 minutes to get there! Our camping club will honor our clubs Vets, (almost half our members) with a nice meal and camp fire story time for those who want to share. I never had the honor to serve, therefore I feel it's my honor to help my friends know how much they are appreciated. Thank you MOC vets, and parents of those serving or have served our Country!

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:15 AM   #2
lostshakerofsalt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10012
Thank you for the appreciation. Please help everyone remember that it is Memorial Day, a time for remembrance of those that gave the ultimate sacrifice for this country. There is a separate Veterans Day for those that served. Please help us let people understand the difference. Please do not wish a Veteran a "Happy Memorial Day", it is not appropriate. Sort of like saying Happy Funeral.
Home is where we park it
lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:32 AM   #3
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
As always, we will start our jam tomorrow with the Pledge, a Prayer and God Bless America. Being a Veteran myself this is a must for each special holiday such as Memorial Day. Everyone have a great and safe weekend, and God Bless America. Happy Trails, Steve and Susie
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:56 AM   #4
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Unfortunately most Americans consider Memorial Day weekend just a 3 day holiday weekend, in other words an extra day off work. Many will not even give a thought all weekend to their fellow Americans that made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve all of our freedoms. The ones that generally hold this holiday close to their hearts are vets that lost buddies, and families who lost loved ones to a war.

I always appreciate any and all attention that this special holiday brings. IMHO it should be the most honored day in America, next to a couple significant religious dates.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:23 AM   #5
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Well said guys. Please remember that not all looses were during war time, we have also lost service members in training and normal peace time operations.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:17 AM   #6
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
In Feb my oldest daughter spent a weekend with her niece...our grand daughter. *(Daughter is in Charlotte. *Grand Daughter in OH. *We are in PA.) *My daughter told her we were going to DC for a camping trip over Memorial Day. *My grand daughter got excited and wished she could go. *The 10 yr old said "Isn't that where they honor all of the people that started this country and all those people that fought in wars"? *

My daughter was shocked to say the least....so....about 3 weeks ago my daughter calls my former daughter in law *to see if our grand daughter could go with us to DC. *The answer was YES!! *So my 33 year old daughter is driving from Charlotte to northern OH today...then to DC...back to OH on Mon..then to Charlotte Tue because a 10 yr old wanted to see and honor those who sacriced so much for the rest of us. *

Maybe there is still hope for this country....
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:36 AM   #7
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I failed to clarify, those story's told are focused on fellow vets each person knew someone who lost their lives. It's a way to hear the names of lost servicemen, friends and a story about who they were, and what they did during their service. Everyone is asked to remember someone at camp fire and anyone can participate.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #8
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
We have several flags flying on our camper this weekend. One for my brother (USMC - Viet Nam), one for my Dad (USCG - WWII) and one for everyone else serving/served! Salute to you all!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote