Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Level-Up leak already?

I was out looking at the Monty last night and noticed that the front right leg of the Level-Up system appears to have a leak already. The "foot" had some oily residue on the top of it, so I reached down and felt around the base of the hydraulic cylinder and sure enough, oil. Not much of a leak yet, but we just bought the trailer in April new darn-it. -Glenn

Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I've read that the hoses they are using are not the best quality and prone to leaking. Perhaps a trip back to the dealer is in order and possibly change them all out at the same time, if that's the problem....Good luck.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Glenn, we had a rear jack start leaking shortly after the install of our Level-up, had it replaced (under warranty) and in no time the newly replaced jack was leaking worse than the original. Was replaced again, still under warranty, and then everything was fine.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Yes, I know there are always going to be little problems with any RV, probably even more so as these things get more complicated. A little more of a pain for me because the dealership/service center is about an hour and a half away through some pretty heavy Seattle/Tacoma traffic areas (I know some of you have much farther to go but I am now in the whining mode so please work with me)

Just kind of wish things would wait a little longer before they break and/or leak.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Glenn, I'd contact Lippert and see if there is anyone closer to you they could send a replacement jack too. Our first jack was done at a local service center with prior approval from Lippert and didn't cost us anything. The second replacement was done on our site in Florida by a Mobile Service Tech. Lippert supplied the jack and paid for the labor, we just had to pay the On-site Service call, was cheaper than hooking up and towing to the dealer.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Glenn:
I had the same issue and took it back to my dealer. He contacted Lippert and they told him to clean the foot and ram and spray it with silicon lube. They said if the jacks are not used for a long time (such as long term camping in the same site) some seepage may occur and will not lead to further problems. Of course you will have to keep a check on the reservoir. The seepage on mine did stop. I did check all the fittings above for
tightness, they were all OK. The seepage on mine came from the seal where the ram entered the upper tube.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
It's alway's something, isn't it??
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We just experienced the same thing - a slight leak onto the pad. In our case it turned out that one of the bolts at the bottom was loose.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Wow, some things to try before I drive to the service center. I hope it is something easy (dirty or loose bolt) and not a leaking or split seal on the cylinder. Thanks again folks! -Glenn
Old 08-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yea Glenn we have a 3402rl also and live in Olympia and bought ours at Tacoma RV ,if i need work done I don't want to hook up and go all that way,they do have a mobile service but that will cost ya 100 bucks thankfully ours has not leaked yet but I will keep a eye on it
Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #11
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I had Level-Up installed at the factory back in May. When they finished I did see some oil on the right front (curb side) jack. I was told the tech spilled some oil when bleeding the system and it was not a leak. Over the next several weeks we traveled a lot and the trailer never set in one place longer than 7 days. The jack was always wet but the oil level was not going down. We have now been home for the past 6 weeks. I went over to the trailer storage this past weekend. Huge oil spot on the ground and the front of the trailer was almost on the ground.

Called Lippert this morning to arrange to get it repaired. I live in the Dallas area and said I was willing to drag the trailer where ever in Dallas they wanted. I was told the nearest Level-Up dealer/installer was in Houston. That is 300~350 miles from where I am at to their location in Houston. Not a option for me. Lippert suggested a mobile service tech. I was not advised of having to pay for a service call. I will take issue with it if asked since there are no dealers in my area who install/service Level-up and this is warranty work. In addition I spotted the problem before I left the factory and was told by their professionals that it was not a problem and only spillage.

So we will see what happens.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #12
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Wow Rick, sorry to hear that. You have a lot worse drive than I do, so I hope the mobile repair works out. I cleaned mine up real good the other day (the leg and foot with the potential leak) and checked all the bolts on the bottom of the ram tight. I am just keeping an eye on it now and hoping it was a fluke. If I see any more evidence of a potential slow leak my next plan is to hook it up to the truck and cycle it all the way in and then back out to see if there might just be a little debris in the lower ram seal. Good luck Rick (I do like your TV better than mine)

-Glenn
Old 08-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #13
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Glenn the only part that makes me mad is I pointed it out but was told it was spillage and not a leak. I am still waiting to hear when the repair will happen. I know it will all work out. At least this is happening at home and not while on the road. I was mad enough I did not investigate to see if the problem was a true leak or something like a loose hose. Will find out when the mobile tech arrives.

Thanks on the truck. Very comfortable to travel in. Forget the trailer is even behind us. But we really love having the Jeep. We definitely prefer using it once we arrive at our destination more than we did sightseeing in our Ford F250. Can go any where in it. I love the new Fords and they are great truck!
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
ctomwood
Established Member

M.O.C. #9744
I had one of my back jacks have a leak on top of jack had replace by local shop at Lippert expence. The lastest problem is having front jack coming down while traving down road.. One was draging on road when someone told me to pull over. Lippert had me check something didn't find any problem. Have installed safety chain on them The last trip no problems. They say it could be air in system. But don't have answer yet.
ctomwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Holey moley. We will have to keep a eye on those things.No problems so far but we will take a close look tomorrow. BTW The hydraulic lines on this 13 3402 look a lot bigger than the ones on the 06 3400.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote