Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #41
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

We have had similar situations. If the power supply loses a leg at the pedestal then you will not have power to any of the appliances, breakers, etc that are on that leg. An easy evaluation tool (without having to learn how to use a multi-meter) is to simply plug a 30 amp shore cable via a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter (dog-bone) into the pedestal. If everything in the rig now works, then you know the problem is in the pedestal and can notify the campground. Been there, done that.
Bingo
Now that is a "plug-n-play" fix I can do! Thanks, Bingo!

CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #42
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The only thing I am not sure about is if there is a chance that nothing would work?? Does the 30 amp adapter only pick up one leg of the 50 amp feed. Electrical gurus can clarify for us, but I would assume that it would be all or none, which would still show that the problem lies in the pedestal. Obviously if there is a direct 30 amp hookup then we can plug directly into it which would at least verify that the problem is not in the rig. Waiting to learn something here!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #43
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Bingo,
When I had my problem, I was connected to the 30a plug, not realizing at the time that there was a 50 amp plug. I unplugged from the 30a and plugged into the 50 amp, and the problem persisted. I never thought about the problem possibly being in the pedestal. (no power to fireplace, water heater, and air conditioner).

At the next stop, I plugged into the 50a and everything magically worked! It would seem to me that there was something wrong with the first pedestal, but I thought the problem was in my trailer. Obviously, I must have overloaded the 30a side, but it did not work when I plugged into the 50a. I learned something.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #44
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That is definitely puzzling Robbie, which further validates that I am far from an electrical guru. Possibly someone can give us a clue, but I am at a loss.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote