Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
Bette

M.O.C. #10167
Gelcoat finish

The top front of my Mountaineer Montana is dull and I have tried every kind of polish to buff it up. I have been told the Gelcoat has come off. Is there anything I can use to make it shiny again?

Bette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
IMHO , clean the surface with Barkeepers Friend and Scotch Brite scrubbing pads. When you are satisfied that all oxidation is removed, rinse thoroughly until all grit is gone. Let it dry well. Apply 4 or as many coats as you desire of Red Max Pro 3. Do not let it run as runs will be visible. It is a product sold by Lowes in the floor sealer dept. Wear rubber gloves as it is difficult to clean from hands. Each coat becomes smoother and has more gloss. The scrubbing is the most difficult part. The application is easy as the product is liquid and requires no buffing. You will probably want to add one coat per year. If your grafics are peeling, use a razor blade to trim edges and Goof Off to remove glue, this step , if necessary should be done first. I think you will be pleased. Larry JMHO
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:51 AM   #3
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I would recommend Meguiars #49. Be careful, this is a powerful oxidation remover. Then use #45, Polish, and then #56 Pure Wax. When oxidation is not that bad, you can use #50 Cleaner and Wax. I have been using these products on my RVs and boats for a LONG time. They work. A less powerful oxidation remover is #44 Color Restorer. Read the labels. Good Luck.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It don,t have gel coat on it. The front and back caps are formed plastic. They take a piece of plastic sheet probably a 1/4 inch thick heat it and form it with 2, lets say dies the shape of the front or back. With the hot plastic between the dies they are shoved together to form the front or back. So you can buff it any way you wont to, just don't get it too hot.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Actually, it's fibreglass. Mine has a small hole in the rear corner where I managed to take out DHenry's brick gate post. Same material as my boat's hull had, back in my boating days.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Bette:
Most all the above is good advice. I've just used a low speed buffer and any light automotive polishing compound like you'd buy at Wally world. I'd not recommend any fashion of scotchbrite unless you want the experience of polishing the fine scratches back out on top of removing the oxidation. Wax won't cover up the scotchbrite swirls. Stay away from the decals as best as you can.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I said the caps were formed plastic, that is incorrect. Steve said they were fiberglass and he is 100% correct. Thanks Steve!
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Listen to Captain Joe!!!!!
He is correct, don't fool around with anything else, don't waste your money.
The caps are Gel-coat,they have oxidation, the white chauckey surface
The Meguiars comes as a system of the heavy oxidizer remover #49, then #45 is a polish, on the front, it replaces the oil's that the gel-coat have lost.
Just work small area 18x18 from experience.
Again spend your money on items that are designed to remove the oxidization and put the oils back into the gel coat.
I speak from experience.
Go to Meguiars web site, a lot of good information
E. Sven
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Is it best to apply the #49 with a buffer?
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote