Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
royando
Established Member

M.O.C. #9021
Easy way to light oven pilot

Turn the valve past Pilot to Warm and lite the pilot. No waiting or holding the knob in. Wait a few seconds and turn back to pilot position or start cooking.

royando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:14 AM   #2
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
I'm wondering. This sounds like a defective stove to me.
Dick
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Royando-I have used that method many times, it is easier and quicker for me.
For our own protection to this thread I would add "DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS METHOD."
When the oven is on the warm setting and the thermo-coupler is heated up it allows the gas to flow into the heating element. Since this is a higher flow rate it takes less time to purge the air from the lines. If you attempt this method, make sure you have the lighter or flame burning at all times so when the gas does begin to flow there will be no surprises.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Nope, this works fine. This is how stoves used to be lit before pilot lights were invented. While it uses more propane to get it started at least you don't have to become a contortionist. The trick is to make sure the lighter is far enough inside so that the propane lights pretty quick. You wait 30 seconds, then turn the knob back to pilot and all is good.

I don't use this technique all the time because DW always seems to get pretty excited of the "whoosh" sound when it first ignites. I am still able to depress the knob for 30 seconds while sitting on the floor with my body facing the rear of the coach and being able to reach into the oven while clicking the lighter at the small burner for the pilot. That whoosh is sounding better and better all the time.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by footloose

I'm wondering. This sounds like a defective stove to me.
Dick
I've never tried this, but like you say, sounds defective to me. I'm thinking the gas valve to the main burner should not open until the thermocouple provides the necessary milivolts to operate the valve. Perhaps OZZ will provide us some insight to this.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I'm going to have to try that too. As I understand the operation of the the oven gas valve, it should not pass gas until there is flame on a sensor or the button is pushed in.
That's how the old gas stove works in my hunting cabin. No mattrer where you turn the button, it will not pass gas until you push and hold the button in. Only when the burner lights, can you let go of the button.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is the "crankshaft method"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Want to hear a gas stove story?

I've been getting my stick house ready for sale for some time now. One of the things on my T2D list was to take off the pop corn on my kitchen ceiling. I've done extensive mods to the house and the ceiling shows where all the walls were removed so the pop corn had to go, everywhere.

On the day of the kitchen removal I covered my gas stove with a drop cloth. It's one of those stoves with an automatic igniter. You just turn the knob to 'start' and it goes click, click, click, whoosh and you're on the air with a nice flame. I got rid of all the kitchen popcorn after about an hour and decided to pour a cup of coffee and admire my work.

Coffee in hand, I leaned back on the stove to take a sip. Click, click, click, whoosh! It took a few seconds for the sound to register and another few went by before the synapses fired. My back was to the scene of the crime after all. By the time I turned around my coffee was airborne. I got the drop cloth off. It was scorched so no damage was done, except to my ego.

Moral of the story? Be careful what you wish for with gas stoves. My stove was so convenient that I could turn it on with my butt. I'm not sure that was a feature or a bug but in either event, fast starts are not always a good thing.

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
OK so now I just can't let the reply about passing gas in your oven go by without a smiley. Am I the only one that finds that an odd turn of phrasing.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Ditto! I wondered..... :-)
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:19 AM   #11
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pbahlin

OK so now I just can't let the reply about passing gas in your oven go by without a smiley. Am I the only one that finds that an odd turn of phrasing.
No! I wish I had a button to control the passing of gas.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Yea, You got me!http://montanaadministrator.forumco..../icon_mi_3.gif
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote