Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Big Sky Converter Model

I have a 2008 Big Sky 340RLQ (non 10th anniversary edition) and can't identify the converter from any Keystone Documentation. I've never found it or (duh) never recognized it. The only thing Keystone seems to publish is Xantrex XADC 80 for the 10th anniversary edition.

Does anyone know what I might have and/or where I might look for it?

I've been on several Easter egg hunts now with this unit. My favorite? Finding the (unlabeled) cable/antenna power booster thingy in the bedroom closet. I also thoroughly enjoyed the unlabeled, undocumented satellite jumper cable in the entertainment center, and don't even get me started on the totally hosed speaker wiring.

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
pbahlin, you can get to the converter by unscrewing the grating under the bottom stair step. It is screwed to the floor and it would be a good idea while you are there to unscrew it and slide a 3/4 inch piece of plywood under it. We have some minor floods (don't ask) and the water got into the converter but I got it off the floor in time to save it. I neglected to find out what brand and model it was but it is easy enough as soon as you get unscrewed from the floor. Good luck... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Thanks Dave!

Half the mystery is solved.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I finally had a chance to get the model number from my converter (which was under the stairs).

For anyone else wanting it...

Model is Iota Engineering DLS 75.

I also did a little research and found that this is not much of a battery charger. It's really a 13.4 volt power supply that can push out 75 amps. While this is good as far as it goes, it is not the converter you want for a battery you want to take boondocking.

If you're the type of RVer who always stays in parks and you don't mind replacing batteries every few years it's a decent choice. But, it can't fully charge your battery and it might harm it over enough time by allowing sulfation.

I also discovered (by snooping on the Iota web site) that there is this nifty little option called the IQ4 Smart Controller (lists for about $30.00) that turns the DLS 75 into a real 4 stage converter. You just mount it near the converter and plug it in to a little port on the box (looks like a telephone connection).

I'm going to do a little research on this and will post more when I get smarter. I think (so far at least) that it would be the best $30 dollar upgrade you could ever make on your RV.

Why this isn't SOP on the Big Sky, I'll never know but I'm starting to feel a little blue over the big sky.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
My new DLS-75 showed up yesterday and the IQ-4 arrived the day before. The new units come with a plug that is used to quick charge the battery/s. The IQ-4 plugs into the same receptacle on the DLS-75. The IQ-4 has a small green LED on it that tells you what charge state the converter is in, Bulk, Absorption, or Float. It seems to work fine and I mounted it right on the grill under the bottom step so I can see it from my recliner. According to the IOTA tech I talked to it will handle up to 6 6volt golf cart batteries without a problem. Camping World doesn't stock Iota but they do handle Intelipower brand converters. Intelipower converters have a similar add-on called Intelicharge. It does basically the same thing. As far as why Keystone didn't include it with your Big Sky, I have no idea but there has to be a limit as what should be "included" with every new rig no matter what make. There are literally hundreds of these nice to have extras that could be included with any given rig. I for one don't want to have to pay through the nose to have each and everyone. I prefer being able to pick and chose what extra goodies I get. My old DLS-75 kept the rig battery charged just fine the last two years, as far as I am concerned it IS a charger and power supply. OK, off my soap box now. The IQ-4 works fine so far... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Hi Dave:

I hear ya' on including every possible doodad. There has to be a limit.

One of my frustrations, I guess, is that I had to go on an Easter egg hunt for the charger and only found it thanks to you. There is absolutely no Keystone provided documentation for lots of things (this being just one).

It would be nice to have such things available as options (that you were informed of). Sometimes it feels like I'm sitting in the emergency room getting medicated by the other patients. Microsoft makes me feel the same way.

Have you had a chance to see if the IQ4 is making a difference in your charge levels?
Old 10-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I can understand your frustration not being able to find some things. Your dealer should have been able to tell you where things are found out for you.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote