Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
bjj5633
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9546
Black tank flush

This might be a stupid question but to flush the black tank do I just unhook the water hose and use that or do I have to use a spare hose. for sanitary reasons. thanks

bjj5633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bjj5633

This might be a stupid question but to flush the black tank do I just unhook the water hose and use that or do I have to use a spare hose. for sanitary reasons. thanks
Not a stupid question--there are none. I use a spare hose just to prevent any possible back feed (siphoning). I also use an anti-siphon fixture on the water feed. This prevents any siphoning back into the fresh water system.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Having the Convenience station allowed me to become a bit creative.

I do have a brass shutoff valve where the hose hooks up to the Flush.
When flushing I always open the faucet valve first and than the brass valve. When finished I always close the brass valve first and than the faucet. No way of getting any back feed.

Been using the set up for 2 years and it works great. No longer have to deal with a second hose just to flush the tank.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Here is my solution for my power flusher and sewer solution.
http://picasaweb.google.ca/chetking/...76604143398994
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grampachet

Here is my solution for my power flusher and sewer solution.
http://picasaweb.google.ca/chetking/...76604143398994
Now that's being creative, even the Sewer Solution. And I thought I had a great idea. Guess I just might go back to the drawing board.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

I use an alternate grey hose exclusively for my sewer duties, and never use my white hose for such.

The all in one manifold in the convenience center is a neat idea, but, even though it has anti-siphon fittings, I would never trust it enough to have it all hooked in so close to my fresh water supply. Not worth the health risks, in my opinion. When I do sewer duty, the fresh water supply is always disconnected, and plenty of water is run through the pedestal faucet before I ever hook up the fresh hose again.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Thanks Glen. The sewer solution "pressure" hose runs down though the sewer hose storage area and then comes out just in front of the sewer valve. I put a hanger for the hose and it stays in place. The SS has been reversed to allow the quick disconnect to point forward so the "pressure" hose does not have to curl around but goes straight into the SS. Simple and quick hookup and operation. I have no concerns about any health issues.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:28 AM   #8
bjj5633
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9546
Thanks guys for the help. When the stealership was giving me my demo they told me I could use the same hose,this didn't sound right to me that's why I asked you guys. You know more then they do. I will be getting an extra hose of a diifferant color for this. Please be patient with my questions because I am seeing and finding stuff they never told me we had.
bjj5633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, I really like your solution. I have the same setup. All I have to do now is find what I did with the blue hose. I have shutoffs. Because of past experience with what happens when a shutoff is only almost turned off, I'll probably use a shutoff on each end of the hose. If I can't stop myself from screwing up, at least I can make it more difficult for me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KTManiac

I use an alternate grey hose exclusively for my sewer duties, and never use my white hose for such.
My alternate hose is the one used for sewer duties and anything else other than fresh water.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I tried today to set up Glenn's method of using the shower for water for the black tank flush. However, I get no water from that shower head. We did not order the outside shower option so I suspect it's not plumbed. Tomorrow, if it is not raining, I'll empty that side of the basement, pull the cover and check that out. I sure like that method and hope I can get ours working without a lot of difficulty. The release in the shower connector seems to be working fine, just no water. Since it has not been used in three years it may just be limed up.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bjj5633

There are no stupid questions here. If anyone does not know the answer, then the question is legit. If that's not true, then I'm the king of stupid.

To answer your question, I am not comfortable using our drinking water hoses so I have a dedicated hose. I put a wrap of black electrical tape on each end near the connector to identify the hose. I also store it separately.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Steve, I once heard someone quote, "He who asks a question is a fool for a moment, He who remains silent is a fool forever." I agree with your "no question is stupid.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Gang,
I've also used an extra hose for my flush process. Purchased a gray, and somewhat more flexible hose with anti-syphon connector that I tie to a "Y" connector at the park water faucet. That way I receive full park pressure to the flush system, and no chance to foul the fresh water system.
Hope this helps.
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #15
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
IMHO, the pressure from the shower hookup might not be a high as directly from the hose bib. My experience is that I want as much pressure from the black water flush line as I can get.
deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote