Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Possessed Splendide

Okay, my washer is possessed. This only happens when we use the generator. When we plug into the running generator the washer starts up with a pumping noise, sometimes the lights blink on and off and there is no way to stop it except to turn off the generator. When you fire up the gen again and plug the rig in all is fine. Anybody have any ideas?

bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Wow!! That is weird! The only thing that I can think of would be reversed polarity, and even then I don't know why it would cause this!?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Pam,
Is the generator capable of running electronics? There is a circuit board in the washer and maybe it didn't like the power.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:10 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Voltage drop is what they claimed killed my mother board on the Splendide. We did NOT run on a generator, but, did run in state parks, where sometimes the power is flakey. We still don't know the cause of the "low voltage" tho. SIGH

I think NCFischers is onto something.

Pam, call them, ask if you can run on generator.

I suspect not, but, that is what they call a WAG.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:46 AM   #5
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Pam, are you saying you aren't trying to USE the washer and that it just starts up on its own when you turn the generator on?? That is weird. Until you find the problem, I think I would unplug the washer when you are on generator.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:57 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I think you need an Exorcist. Actually, my guess would be the fluctuating power of your generator. What kind of genny do you have? A large contractor type or one with clean power for electronics?? If it is one made for electronics, perhaps something has gone wrong with the genny......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:47 AM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
They do seem to be sensitive to the quality of the power supply. I know we tried to winterize ours using an inverter, and it would not work at all. We called Cust. Serv. and were told that they will not work from an inverter.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:32 AM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
First of all I’m not an expert here. It may be best to give splendide a call and see what they have to say. My thinking is that when you are starting the generator, all of the breakers are probably closed, meaning that the circuit is made up. If this is the case it may be that you are exposing all of your appliances to different voltage as it starts. It might be a good idea to trip the main until the generator gets up to speed. However, I believe there is or should be an automatic switch that should keep the circuits open until the generator gets up to normal power. You might check with the manufacture of the generator also you could have a problem with the switch on the generator not operating properly. Like I said I’m not an expert here but this is just my thinking on it.

On Edit: We had a motor home once and when you started the generator it wouldn’t kick in until it was up to speed. It worked through an automatic throw-over switch. I believe you have to have one to avoid both shore power and generator power being on at the same time unless it is set up where only the shore power or the generator power could be plugged in at any one time. Either way I would think there should be a switch at the generator which would control when it closes in. If there is no kind of switch then I would go back to my thinking that you should open the main breaker until the generator is up to normal speed. You might have it checked out; maybe it’s switching or closing in too soon or there is no switch at all. Again, I’m not an expert but this is just a thought that I had. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Call Splendide, the 800# is in the manual, they are very knowledgeable and helpful.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Thanks, all. Our generator is a Honda 2000ei or ie, can't remember which, so it does have "clean" power. I did ask the Splendide tech in Elkhart if I could use the units with a generator, and he said yes. I am going to call them next week to discuss the matter. We may need to take it back in while we're in the area. I'll post any answers I get.

Also, we always put the fridge and water heater on propane when we use the gen so there won't be a big draw on power.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
Caseclosed
Established Member

M.O.C. #8423
I have a new Honda 2000 and it will not power my air conditioner or my air compressor and the microwave puts a big strain on it. If I have the two Honda 2000 together they will power the air conditioner but not both the air and the microwave lights dim and generator bogs down till after the generator runs for 15 to 20 minutes.
Caseclosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bob n pam

Thanks, all. Our generator is a Honda 2000ei or ie, can't remember which, so it does have "clean" power. I did ask the Splendide tech in Elkhart if I could use the units with a generator, and he said yes. I am going to call them next week to discuss the matter. We may need to take it back in while we're in the area. I'll post any answers I get.

Also, we always put the fridge and water heater on propane when we use the gen so there won't be a big draw on power.
My first thought is a ground problem. Then my second though it "not clean power" by not clean I mean not as clean a sine wave as from the commercial generators. I am thinking of a voltage spike coming down line when the generator is first plugged in. Testing the spike and clean sine wave requires some sensitive/technical (exspensive) equipment.

The start up of the 12 VDC converter can draw a lot of power too.

Again the above are just my thoughts and I have nothing to validate the thoughts with.

Suggest unplug or isolate the power to the washer when you go to Generator power.

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:59 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I would have to agree with John Kohl on this, before you plug into the generator I would turn off the "washer/ dryer" breakers until the genny has had a few minutes to stabilize, then try the breakers. That will take the initial fluctuation out of the equation and when you hit the breakers you should have stable power... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:21 AM   #14
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Ah, great minds think alike (John, Dave and . . . me!) I wasn't clear in my first post that I am not trying to use the washer with the gen but the problem occurs when plugging into the gen. I did put a small surge protector on the gen to see if that changed anything, but it did not. So, next time I will turn off the breakers before plugging in. I REALLY appreciate all the feedback.