Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
LED Strip lighting under the awning 2015

I have to ask this because I cannot get close enough to see for myself, just too much snow around the Montana. On the 2015 is the led light strip up and under the awning glued on or is it in some type of track? The reason is that I want to change it to something other than the ultra bright white that attracts so many bugs. My dealer has a setup that you can pick almost any primary color or combinations of colors. The parts person told me that this after market is glued on.

Any information would be appreciated.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I haven't gotten up there and looked but most of the LED strip lighting like that has self adhesive backing on it and is typically fairly easy to remove. If that is the case you should be able to take a plastic putty knife (a razor blade might cut into the trailer finish) and scrape off the current lights.

Multicolored LED strip lighting is readily available (its called RGB=red green blue or RGBW=red, green, blue, white or RGBA=amber instead of white--makes better pastels) Hey my hobby is stage lighting give me a break.

Aspect is a good source on the web. Nice thing about LED is you can get it in 12 volt DC which makes it easy to power and Aspect has controllers with remotes that allow you to setup all sorts of color variations. Should be simply a matter of peeling off the old and replacing it with the new if you can find where the wiring is behind the cabinets. One warning though, while you can pull power from the current wiring multicolor will require additional conductors going to the actual strip (one for each color plus a common). Good news is that LED strip lighting that short pulls very little wattage so even telephone wire may suffice from the controller to the strip at least. You will need a controller but they are dirt cheap and can be mounted inside your trailer to protect them. Use heat shrink to weatherproof the connections and keep the wiring tidy. You can still use the power wire and main switch to get power to the controller. Just be sure what voltage you are working with up there (most likely it will be 12volt but verify non the less).

I know this all sounds complicated but it really isn't.

Another option is to add the new thin rope lighting that will fit inside the track in the roller tube. You will have to figure out how to run the wiring out there to operate it but it is an option and I am fairly sure you can get that stuff in multicolor as well.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:39 PM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
The lights on mine are in a channel
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:11 AM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
The lights on mine are in a channel
That would be better. I didn’t know they made channel for LED strip lights. Now I am curious where to get it....
Old 03-12-2018, 06:15 AM   #5
tadano64

M.O.C. #14457
Had the channel remove on ours since the weather made it warp. Just used 3M tape to attach new led strip.
tadano64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:59 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Just adhesive on our 2015.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Finally had the awning out on ours and it looks like the lights are in a track that is attached to the awning material
Old 03-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #8
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Ours don't work.

It's on our list for warranty issues which we will get attended to early next month.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #9
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Mine were on a track. Went to remove the track to change lighting and it was extremely difficult to do; so, removed the lights from the channel and put new lights into the channel using double sided 3M automotive tape.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #10
dannyrver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9072
I removed the channel, very not so easy. then replaced the lights with 3m tape. my channel was warping also.
dannyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #11
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
we had our awning material replaced and the installer had to remove the LED channel. he did warn us that that channel will probably break and it did. after awning was installed he put LED back up under the awning using double sided tape and its working great. installer also mentioned that this channel was one of the worst ideas he has come across on all the awnings he repairs.