Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2018, 08:18 PM   #1
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Glowstep Revolution and "suicide step" question

My Montana has the suicide step.
Therefore my OEM steel folding steps hang quite low when stowed and I'm tired of bending them back after catching a driveway, curb, gopher mound, etc.

Have any of the MOC members installed Glowstep Revolution steps on a Montana with a suicide step?

If so, how far down do they hang when stored?
Are they shorter than the OEM folding steps?

Thanks
Brian

prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Don't know what you mean by suicide step ?
I installed the glow steps on my 3455sa a while back. I IMHO they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. The top step adjusts to 3 diff levels. The bottom step legs are separately adjustable to multiple heights. Have not run into a situation where the steps could not be adjusted to the very un even ground.

When folded up, they are very similar to the stock steps.
These are by far one of the best mods yet, along with disc brakes and level up.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:35 AM   #3
kcjolley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9226
Put them on my 2004 3280.They don't hang any lower than the originals.What a difference in the stability.Takes a little getting used to the way they fold and unfold.
kcjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I have had 2 Montana's with the suicide step. I have not known of a problem with the steps hitting anything. I wonder if the steps on yours is the proper steps for your unit.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Suicide step???? We have had the same style steps on all 6 of our TT,s and 5th wheels.The only way they can hit something is if they are down when the Rv is in motion. The new steps will not work for us.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On our old rig with the suicide steps we installed Lippert aluminum steps and they were sturdy and never had a problem with how they hang in over 70,000 miles. We have the same steps in our new rig except they are a four step model since no suicide step (we couldn't use the Morryde steps so the dealer had to install these or we wouldn't take the new rig.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Because of the layout of the 2955, the entrance door is at the very rear of the unit, thus the steps are at the back, while not really lower than others are easy to drag being located that far back. Had to remove ours several times to beat them back into shape so they could be used.
Reference to "Suicide Step" means the first step is actually inside the unit. They use a 3 step unit, but the fourth step is inside. We called it the "Cat Bunker" cause I cats liked to sit in there a look outside.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Thank you to all who explained suicide step

The OEM steps are like 19" down from the door bottom.
I've hit gas station ramps three times and hooked a curb pulling into traffic.
Last time required rewelding a bracket.
So far I have not forgotten to fold them before traveling but there is still time and I'm getting older.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #9
Loui
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12538
Send a message via MSN to Loui
Moryde step above 3 step model

We too have the suicide step on our 04 both mid and rear entrance on our front living room model and yes I too have bent the rear step leaving a service centre or fuelling station. At the fall rally Moryde showed us a "3 Step Above" model for those of us that need just a 3 step model instead of the 4 step model.
http://www.campingworld.com/stepabov...-steps-30-door

Just an option... if you bend these steps pulling out of a drive then you have bigger problems then just a bent step as they are stored inside the trailer when travelling.
Loui is offline   Reply With Quote