Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2004, 12:32 PM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Up Date on "Slide" leak!

First, let me say I'm coming to you live from Miss Montana with my new Power Book and Bluetooth phone. So far so good. A little slow after cable, but it get's me online wireless.

Now the slide leak. As I have said I have been bringing in the bedroom slide, acutally keeping it in 24/7, as it storms here every afternoon. Anyway I was sitting out under the Kingpin last evening while a light but steady rain was happening. (tired of taking the awning up and down due to wind gusts) As I was sitting there water began dripping onto my feet out of the Kingpin hitch. Not running off the 5'r but out of the Kingpin. I jumped up and went inside and felt under the closed slide and sure enough the carpet was soaked.

So obviously the slide has never been the problem on this particular leak. Which might explain why they could never fix it on the old unit. They were only looking at the slide as a possilbe entry. Duh! So it has to be getting in from somewhere else, but for the water to be coming out of the Kingpin it has to be the roof.

One things for sure bringing in the slide is not going to help like I thought. I don't know what to do at this point. Keystone is talking about me taking it back to a dealer again. I don't have time for that right now. I'm thinking of slapping the plastic and duct tape up there again. As much as I hate to do it.

For those of you who know my history, do you have any words of wisdom for me? What would you do? I have to focus on finding a job not dealing with this again. It's funny how I have gone full circle. From Keystone finally picking up my unit and taking it to the factory to me taking it to a dealer again. I started doing that two years ago and look where it got me.

Oh, yes, it is now leaking in the back behind the drivers side recliner. No slide to bring in there.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I'd try looking around the front hatch where it meets the roof or the front seam where the cap attaches. Many (not on this forum) have had problems with the antenna letting water in.

Good Luck,

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:06 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Fla Native

I don't know nuttin, but I think logic would say, start at the top and work down?? Specially now that you have a leak in the back where there is no slide.

I know you will keep us posted, and you know we are all out here wishing good thoughts at cha bout the job hunt and the leak hunt.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:14 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
And keep in mind water can travel a long ways before it finally shows itself. The leak may well not be directly over where it is seen.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:36 PM   #5
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
flanative - are you sure you didn't get the same unit back? Unbelieveable that you are leaking again. Anyway you can park in a building, or under an overhang while you are taking care of your first priority - finding a new position??

Wish I had more to offer you.

On the plus side, looks like your new computer/phone system is working!

We take our Monty in to our dealer July 27th to have the warranty doctor figure out why we have leaks. Now with this last rain, had seepage in the kitchen slide as well. Think I will have hubby take a walk up on the roof and see if visually everything looks okay up on top.

Good luck to you.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:33 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Was downstairs talking to Al about some of the new threads on the forum, and I mentioned your problem Fla Native. We went on talking about other things, and he says to me:

"I'm gonna have to go up on the roof and have a good look at the TV antenna, cause it seems to be making a serious dent in the rubber roof, not through yet, but need to really look at what the situation is."

I looked at him, he looked at me and we agreed, that we should at least mention this to you.

Is, there ANY chance that your anttena has poked a hole in the rubber roof???

Another thing, all those running lights on the units, any chance that one of them (or more) is broken and allows water in? We went out and pulled the cover of one of them off, and they appear to be a totally sealed unit, with no way for water to get in, but if one was cracked or broken????

Fully aware that we are grasping at straws here, but sharing any thoughts that come to mind, maybe someone can come up with a solution??

Of course, check all the vents, and air conditioner and front and end caps for good sealant to the roof material. At Goshen they told us to not be afraid to goop it up, and I think they told Al about once a year to really check all that stuff real good, and if in question, caulk real good.

If we think of anything else, we will let cha know.

Carol
Old 07-07-2004, 01:32 AM   #7
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
If the floor is wet at the closet, it can work its way through, hit the plastic belly pan that surrounds the hitch and puddle above where you were sitting. Think of the leak around the hitch as a feature ... it lets the water out!!!

Now seriously, next time your in the rain get under the bedroom slide. If you reach up and stick your fingers in under the slide you will find an amluminum channel... sort of a broad, flattend u shape. Is there any water in this channel??????
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 04:52 AM   #8
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
fla native, it almost sounds like what Country Guy said about the caps, with leaks in the front and rear, it may be the sealing between the caps and the rubber roof, and the marker lights is a possability too......
Gruffy, is that channel the one the drip spouts will be connected to at each end?
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 05:25 AM   #9
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
On mine the drip spouts are above the slide. This channel is under the slide.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:28 AM   #10
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Gruffy, I was poking around at the bottom corner of the slide seal on the bedroom slide, and right behind the seal is a drain spout on each side, its hidden behind the seal somewhat, but wondered if it would allow the water to drain away enough.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:30 AM   #11
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
You've got me there...I'll have to have another look tonight.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:00 AM   #12
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I believe the channel Gruffy is talking about runs along the bottom edge of the slide opening,under the slide. The bottom seal is just behind this and yes, there is water in mine when it rains.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:27 AM   #13
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
8.1al, That channel should drain out I would think, without looking at it its difficult to tell. thinking those mini gutters run off of it and the channel is used in an attempt to catch any water that gets past the seals and channel it out from under the seal....but you said the seal is behind it. gotta look at that tonight
Old 07-07-2004, 04:20 PM   #14
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
8.1al, That channel should drain out I would think, without looking at it its difficult to tell. thinking those mini gutters run off of it and the channel is used in an attempt to catch any water that gets past the seals and channel it out from under the seal....but you said the seal is behind it. gotta look at that tonight
__________________________________________________ ____________________

The channel I am talking about is part of the trim for the bottom of the opening it is not very deep but does hold water. It doesn't have any way to drain and if not sealed well on the ends could leak into the wall or who knows
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:36 AM   #15
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
The seals and spouts you are refering to, are what Keytone fixed or replaced when they took her back to the factory in March. I'm fairly certain this leak is coming off the roof. Or at least not from the slide, per say, as has always been thought.

Although Keystone does not want to set a precident, they have offered to have a mobile tech come out a take care of the leaks and the battery problem. I have agreed to take my unit to a dealer, in due time, to address all the other "little" issues.

The problem right now seems to be to get someone locally to call them back and set it up. In the meantime it rains everyday.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:10 AM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Fla Native,

you said: The problem right now seems to be to get someone locally to call them back and set it up. In the meantime it rains everyday

See if you can convince the mobile people to come WHEN it is raining?? Course, you can always spray the hose on the roof.

We should have taken a photo for you, how they leak test units in Goshen. Oversight on our part, course, we were a bit preoccupied at the time.

How's the job hunt going??? And the new computer and phone???

Keep us posted---

Carol
Old 07-08-2004, 01:53 PM   #17
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
The mobile tech cannot come out until Weds. It's been lightening so bad here I don't think he wants to come out when it's raining.

My unit was put through the "leak test" at the factory in March. They suck all the air out and then use this solution to go around and check for air pockets. It passed.

The Nokia 3650 and Power Book seem to be doing OK together. I have yet to pick an email program. I think I'll check out Hotmail tomorrow. It looks like free email is starting to wane and more and more services are charging.

Still on the job hunt.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:24 PM   #18
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Fla Native

Well, that solution test, is not the one I saw. What we saw was a bunch of hoses spraying water all over the trailers, for HOURS. Course, they could not do that in March, so, maybe this solution test is the "winter version"? Interesting

Look at yahoo too, they just increased their storage to 100 MG, over 10 times what I had for years, and no charge! Free web space too. I also have hotmail account, and I hear they are making some improvements too, not sure what the storage is. There are probably others, and maybe someone can give you a couple more suggestions.

Good luck on that job hunt.

Carol