Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2008, 02:14 AM   #1
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Satellite Question

If this isn't the correct place for this please feel free to move Administration, I chose the one that sounded the best to me.

I have a question on satellite TV subscriptions. I have cable at home and not satellite so I really know nothing about the different services. My question is there a subscription you are aware of to only use when you want or pay as you go. Currently we try to "camp" almost every weekend and at least two longer trips during the year. I don't want to pay for a service I only use on those occasions so that's what prompted my inquiry.

Is there a service that you can have it at home AND on the road for the same price or little more? Please let me know what you do for those of you in a similar situation.

Thanks!

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:27 AM   #2
levietta
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7537
When the DW and I get ready to hit the road, we give DIRECT TV a call and ask them to "suspend" our service at the house. When we return, we call them and ask them to "return" our service. They are friendly and helpful, and do not charge us for the time we do not use. Of course, the frequency with which we do this is far less than what you're speaking of.
levietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I would call Direct-Tv and tell them what you would like to do. We have used Direct-Tv for several years. They have now a program for RVer's. We also use Direct for home use also. We have HDTV in our Stick house and the 5th Wheel. You will have to learn how to set the Dish up, however its very simple. We have a gadget called Bird Dog which will help lock in and fine tune the system afer set up but I very seldom use it. We use a Tri-pod for our Dish which is a 5 LNB, the Tri-pod work great because getting the Dish level is one of the most important parts of the set up. We have had great service from Direct. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:45 AM   #4
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
We use Dishnetwork. They are not any better than Direct TV but I can tell you about Dish. I have the dual DVR in the house and a single receiver in the trailer. I even have a permanent dish set up just for the spot here at the house so it is set up all the time and I can use the trailer as a DOG HOUSE or guest room. As for on the road it takes a bit of practice (First time about 2 hours) but takes about 10 minutes to get up and running. As mentioned previously getting the pole exactly straight up and down is critical. There is the auto sat domes that make it easy. As for cost it is $4.95 per month for the extra receiver. On the road I lose my local channels but that is all. I can travel around the country and have Sat TV. I think this is where Direct is better. They have a better RV program. As for HD the setup is a bit more picky. and the dish must be more stable. The non HD gives an excellent picture and a lot more forgiving to the wind and rain and setup. I carry 100' of cable and have yet to be able to not be able to find a hole in the trees to get a signal. This being the advantage to the tripod VS the dome. The cable attaches to the cable connector at the rear of the trailer. So no special setup is needed inside trailer. Hope this helps.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:00 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have directtv and we use it both at home and on the road. When traveling we just take a receiver or two with us. when we go to Florida for the winter we call and do a change of address to our Florida C.G so we can get the Florida local channels. When we return we do the same. Never a problem.. When you speak to these folks if you mention the word RV, Camper, etc... they will try to sell you packages you may not need. YOU do not need to buy a RV program. You can..but you do not need to..

You might want to consider dropping the cable and going satellite..We did that long ago and found it to be less expensive..

I am doubtful that the sat service will have a package that will serve your stated needs...(pay as you go) but it won't hurt to ask....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:08 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have Dish Network with two receivers at the stick house servicing 4 televisions (I need to get a life) With the main receiver being the DVR 722, I pull it and take it with me on trips. We loose the local channels when we get out of the "Spot beam," that is broadcast to our geographical region. I recently conversed with Dish Network about local channels and the only way for me to get them on the road is by joing "All American Network," as they call it. I could not understand if it was $65 a month or $65 for 6 months for ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX.

I had the "King Dome," installed when I purchased the Hanna. I do not personally recommend the King Dome. It is a single LNB and I am restricted to one satellite, 110 or 119. Neither of which gives me the full programing we are used to. I have to switch from one Satellite to the other if I want a specific channel not covered on the satellite I'm pointing to. It is a pain you know where. There are other automatic antennas that have dual LNB capabilities, or the portable antennas as discused by others. A 3 LNB or more will give better options.

The one feature that I do like about the Dish receiver is the capability to have only one receiver feed two televisions, with independent channel viewing on each television. That way I don't have to carry two receiveres if DW wants to watch a different channel than I do.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote