Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2011, 04:02 AM   #21
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Most all the Chevy 3500HDs has the shudder and its caused by the drive shaft alignment of the split drive shaft design. And the cure I was told is add the air bags (Firestone) and when towing add air and it will align the drive shaft.

Most who know me knows that I don't believe in gadgets, (after market add ons). How ever I believe this would work to reduce the rear shudder? For those who have the air bags do you have the shudder??? Happy Trails...

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #22
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Thanks for all the advice and tips. I'm glad to hear I am not the only one to experience this. My owners manual says to use GL-5 SAE 70w-90 Synthetic without any limited slip additives. I will change the oil in both differentials as soon as I can get to it. What is funny is that the manual also says that besides checking the fluied levels in the differentials there is really no maintenance required. However, as I mentioned earlier, the head mechanic at the dealership told me to change the oil every 15k when I bought the truck. I think he was trying to tell me to ignore the owners manual on this one because of what he had experienced with similar trucks. Thanks again for all the input. This forum is the best!
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #23
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
Your problem sounds like it is the center universal joint on the drive shaft. I had the same shutter and googled the cause. Nine out of ten said it was the center drive shaft universal. I inspected all the universals which was three since I havs four wheel drive and the center and rear were in bad shape to the eye so when I went to have them removed and replaced, I had all three replaced. Thought of doing it myself, but not having the correct tools decided to have it done and when I saw how the mechanic was fighting to get the old ones out I am glad I had it done. Hope this helps you.
madeforeachother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #24
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Had the shudder while towing with my F-250 and thought the problem was driveshaft alignment. Looked like the center shaft was off and had dealer fix my concern. I added airbags and now don't know what fixed it.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #25
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My 2011 does what you describe when I corner in 4 wheel drive whether I'm towing or not and particularly if I'm backing up. The two Dakota's I had before this also did it and with the first one I had it into the dealer several times and nothing was wrong so I ignored it with the second one and am ignoring it with this one. If it didn't do it when it was new, however, I'd definitely check it out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote