Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2019, 04:42 AM   #41
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
+1

RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:54 AM   #42
Stevhop
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23658
If I was worried about feeling safe I would stay in bed under the covers. For me having a rear view observation camera is to eliminate a big blind spot directly behind while on the road. I always like to be aware of what’s going at my 6.
Stevhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #43
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevhop View Post
If I was worried about feeling safe I would stay in bed under the covers. For me having a rear view observation camera is to eliminate a big blind spot directly behind while on the road. I always like to be aware of what’s going at my 6.
Plus, I carry a scooter on the back of my Monty and I like to keep an eye on it to see how it's doing when on the road.
YES, I know it's a big NO NO and I'm not supposed to...
Old 11-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #44
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I too have the older furrion, it came with the coach the 4.3 inch screen. I upgraded to the 7 inch screen with the new rear camera and the 2 side cameras. with the trailer being that long being able to see the blind spots in tighter areas was worth the money for me.

I was thinking about putting the older system above the door and use it to monitor like a ring camera but haven't decided on that quite yet.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:13 AM   #45
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
[QUOTE=Last2Die;1165683 I was thinking about putting the older system above the door and use it to monitor like a ring camera but haven't decided on that quite yet.[/QUOTE]

I had bought 2 rear cameras when I put my system together. I was going to put it above the door also but I haven't decided yet. After checking the views of the cameras with my right side marker light camera I can see down the side of my RV and my door area. I can see the steps and approx 1/2 way up the door. So I would be able to see anyone standing at my door. To me installing the door camera is not worth the effort. I'm thinking of installing it on the top my front cap in the center, in line with my marker light or just below. Since there is no window on the front cap it will give me a front view when parked. Plus I think it would be a cool view when on the road. It would be looking down at my TV plus a few vehicles ahead of me..
Old 11-09-2019, 08:35 AM   #46
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
How are you working it to work without connecting to the truck ? I remember reading something about that just can’t remember.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #47
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
How are you working it to work without connecting to the truck ? I remember reading something about that just can’t remember.
I didn't wire the power for the camera system to the marker lights. When I got my RV I installed an aux blade fuse block with 12 fuses in my garage so I can add accessories as needed without having to connect separate wires and fuses to my batteries.
I ran a power wire from the fuse block to the switch panel in the RV. I installed a lighted switch in the panel and ran power to each of the cameras from the switch. I connected each camera ground to the frame at each camera location. This way the cameras get powered from the RV batteries and not the TV marker lights. So you don't need the TV for power. I just turn the camera system on/off with the switch at the panel in the RV. I get in my TV and plug in the display. It works great.
When I get to the campsite I unhook and set up. I take the display from the TV and bring it inside the RV. plug it into power and your done. Now you're going to have to buy a 110 to 12v power supply to power the display inside your RV. They are not expensive and you can get them on Amazon.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #48
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Got the OEM trailer cam from Ford with my truck. Shows up on the maim screen but it is only for back up. So I bought a cheap rear viewing cam from Amazon to use on the road. I thought Furion was too expensive. I use it mainly for passing so I know when I can pull back into my lane. It works great for that. As far as backing, I don't really use either cam for that as the depth perception is so bad on both of them. The wide angel is the killer.
I didn't get the factory gps with the truck as dealer said it was only a plain one the not RV or trucker, so I have a Magellan for that. My problem now if fitting all these screens on and around my dash, along with my phone.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:42 AM   #49
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
My problem now if fitting all these screens on and around my dash, along with my phone.
Good decision on not getting the factory GPS/Nav system with your truck. I don't know how the systems are now on the new trucks but I ordered the factory Nav systems on my 2006 avalanche and on my 2012 D'max and it is crap. They are not accurate and GM nav disc charges $200.00 for the update disc's. I updated mine once and never again. The updated disc didn't have roads that were built 3 years prior and roads and POI's that have been gone for years were still on the map.
I purchased the Garmin RV gps. It is 100x better than any factory GPS and you get free lifetime updates.

Talk about fitting all my displays in my TV. Here is a picture of the cockpit of my TV. On top is my 7" Furrion camera system display, below that is my Garmin RV Gps display, below that and to the left is my Edge Programmer display and below that to the right is my Transfer Flow aux fuel tank Trax 3 display...
Oh yeah I also forgot to mention to the left of my steering wheel is my TST tpms displays along with a 3 gage “A” pillar pod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_67c.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	5024  
Old 11-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #50
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I've been telling my wife I felt like a passenger trying to land a 747 since we got this new Montana. Now there's proof!
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #51
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Not that it's a truckers version of GPS, but the new vehicles that at least have Android Auto or Apple Car Play allow you to use Google Maps.

Those Google maps are pretty much upto date, and give you traffic information if nothing else. I never thought that I would get another vehicle without GPS, but cars today aren't as good as other alternatives for sure. It was great at first, but no so much now.

It is definitely not a make or break option anymore...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #52
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxDually View Post
Good decision on not getting the factory GPS/Nav system with your truck. I don't know how the systems are now on the new trucks but I ordered the factory Nav systems on my 2006 avalanche and on my 2012 D'max and it is crap. They are not accurate and GM nav disc charges $200.00 for the update disc's. I updated mine once and never again. The updated disc didn't have roads that were built 3 years prior and roads and POI's that have been gone for years were still on the map.
I purchased the Garmin RV gps. It is 100x better than any factory GPS and you get free lifetime updates.

Talk about fitting all my displays in my TV. Here is a picture of the cockpit of my TV. On top is my 7" Furrion camera system display, below that is my Garmin RV Gps display, below that and to the left is my Edge Programmer display and below that to the right is my Transfer Flow aux fuel tank Trax 3 display...
Oh yeah I also forgot to mention to the left of my steering wheel is my TST tpms displays along with a 3 gage “A” pillar pod.
I think you have OCD. LOL. Way to many distractions for me.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #53
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I know I'm but It's not OCD..I have a technical background and I don't like idiot lights, I like having gauges and displays to keep an eye on things. This way, hopefully, I can tell if something is not quite right before something bad happens when I'm on the road. What I have learned from having other displays and gauges is that the factory dash gauges are not accurate. My oil press gauge reads 15 psi high and my temp gauge read 20 to 25 deg high.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:59 AM   #54
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Max, you're making my dash seem a bit simpler. I have the tpms in my main display, it came with the oem back up camera kit. I haven't added the gauge tuner yet and may not. Current truck mileage and power do not seem to warrant the cost of one. I crammed my gps to the left of the steering wheel where the tuner would normally be, that way I didn't block the main screen. Just waiting for DW to start playing DVD's, not sure if you can but there are usb inputs on the system and I know it will play mp3's.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:33 PM   #55
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Review of inexpensive camera option...

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that I was going to try a cheaper alternative to the Furrion. I've had it for about two weeks, but haven't had the RV until today to do the install.

This is my review of the system, and how I installed it.

This is the unit that I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got it because I wanted something that was HD, and I wanted a 7" screen. Reviews seemed good. It does NOT come with a windshield mount, but one is available if you send them an email, and that address is in the owner's manual. Speaking of owner's manual, it's a little sparse, but pretty much covers all of the bases.

I needed an "adapter" to use the existing wiring. I happened onto this wiring adapter, and mount kit. Looked good, had a lot of holes, and I figured that I should be able to make it work somehow. Reviews said that the wiring did NOT work, and you still had to do some wiring. More on that later.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was a good thing that I had to wait to install the unit, because I started trying to figure out how the bracket was going to work. As it turns out, in order to use the bracket I bought, you have to remove the shark fin, and use the bracket. You leave the shark fin "gasket" on there though. That seemed like a cheesy way to go.

So, I happened onto this bracket and wiring adapter:

Other bracket:
https://www.amazon.com/Haloview-Brac...ronics&sr=1-17

I went and looked online, and I realized that THIS was the bracket to have. You unscrew the Furrion plastic plate, and this goes in it's place. PLUS, there was a small bonus on this Amazon listing, they had a fully dimensioned drawing of what the plate looked like. SCORE! I quickly drew it up. More on that in a bit.

Now, onto the install at hand.

Realizing that I was not going to use the original bracket, this one:

I had to do something else. As a recovering engineer, I never do anything the "easy" way. I have to find the hardest most complicated way to do something. Remember that drawing that was on that Amazon website? Well I decided to make one of those, but with a twist. After looking at the Furrion plastic cover, I decided that I did NOT want to lose that piece, because it has an extra feature on it that closes up the antenna hole. That's important in my case, because I won't be using the antenna hole. The feature is to the right on this pic:

So, I found some aluminum and I made a plate that fit OVER the plastic piece. This is what it looked like when it was done (before painting):

One of the issues that I ran into was that the screws that hold the plastic piece on, are very small and short. Had to go to the hardware store, and picked up some #6 x 1/2 wood screws that fit the bill, and worked rather nicely.

Now, time to put it all together. In the end, I WAS able to use the supplied wiring adapter WITHOUT any modifications, and that was nice. One thing that I did run into though, was that the space inside of the shark fin was barely big enough to cram all of the wires into, but I was able to get them all in there, and everything screwed up nicely. Now I have an install in the back that is closed up, and have a metal backer so there's some substance there.

Here is a pic of the final camera install:

If you notice in this picture, the antenna does NOT sit vertical. The antenna that comes with this unit, only goes perpendicular to whatever the angle of the camera is. After reading about this online, I was concerned about this, but didn't have anyway to fix / change it. The other issue that I have, is that I'm unable to use a second set of screws in the arced slot. The unit comes with the, but they only work if the mounting bracket if vertical, and now mine is at an angle. I don't anticipate this being an issue, but will need to watch that for sure. Not an easy fix either, if it has to have the second set.

Onto the install in the truck.

Turned on the truck lights to light up the clearance lights, plugged in the cigarette lighter adapter, and turned on the screen. Nothing. Unit says that it can't pair. I'm going thru the menus, trying to figure it out, and then the image comes on for a couple of seconds and goes away. Now I'm puzzled. I then realize that I do NOT have the antenna on the camera installed! After installing that, while sitting on the console of my truck, I was getting FULL signal to the camera. Here's a picture of what the image looks like:

Pictures probably don't do it justice, but I"m happy with the image. Seems to be nice.

That was not the final home, though, and I attached the windshied adapter, and placed it beside the mirror. Don't need the rear view when the RV is on. Here's a picture of the final install location, and image: (you are looking into the sun here too):

I have noticed that when it's in this location, the signal strength will go from 3 bars to 4 bars (it was a solid 4 when it was on the console). So that's something that I'll have to watch. I have NOT had a chance to drive with the unit yet either, so I don't know how it will act when I'm driving, coming in and out, but I'll test that tomorrow on a quick run. I don't expect that we will have interference issues here either, because we live in a town of only 4000.

All-in-all, so far, my take on it is that it is well worth the money. I'm very pleased with it, and that could change when we go for a drive. At this point, I'm glad that I didn't spend $700 on a 7" Furrion, but I had to work a little bit to get the camera installed. Sure, you can install a Furrion in 30 minutes, but even though I worked on this for about 4 hours today (I'm slow), the Furrion is not worth an additional $500.

Hopefully this information is helpful to those considering other options...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191116_134149.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	5058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191116_134118.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	5060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191116_142819.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	5061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191116_151652.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	5062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191116_151906.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	5063  

Name:	IMG_20191116_152746.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	5064  
Old 11-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #56
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
I haven't seen any of the Furrion night (infrared) images, or other cameras for that matter.

I wasn't expecting a lot out of the night version, but decided to check tonight. It is total darkness out where the RV is parked right now.

This is the EXACT same image as above, but in the dark:

Not the greatest, but it is dark. I didn't try with the backup lights on. Should get better...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191116_200915.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	5065  
Old 11-17-2019, 05:16 AM   #57
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
Thank you for the very good review and explanation.

For a "recovering engineer", you done good!

Interested in how this system does while traveling.
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #58
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
I have a Digital Wireless dual camera system I bought on Amazon. $249.00, and works great. 7 inch screen and will support 4 cameras, works good in the dark. Screen can have both(all) cameras on display or just one. I really like the system, it is wired(powered) off my back lights, if wired off ignition would be on all the time.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #59
Stevhop
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23658
Update...Ok I went ahead and installed the Haloview 7801 on our 2008 2995rl. I mounted just above the middle rear running light. I wired it into the light so it comes on when my running lights are on. For now I have the 7” monitor just sitting in the console. I didn’t like it on the dash. I am gonna figure some way to attach to rear view mirror, or fabricate a stand that will put it just below the TV monitor. We went down to Edisto State Park last week...was only a 50 mile trip but the camera worked great, 4 bars. Only issue was when driving in bright sun shine while driving through a lot of over hanging trees it made it a little difficult to see back aways, however I bet it would be the same for all makes of systems. Picture was fine in bright sun, all shade and cloudy days.

All in all a great buy for $250.00

I will update my thoughts after some longer trips
Stevhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #60
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Went for a shirt drive today.

I don't know how these other cameras work, but there is a slight lag between the camera and the monitor. Not really a big deal when you're backing, but driving it is a little laggy when you're going 65MPH.

Still happy it wasn't $700...