Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
mmgeol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10293
IS-Neverlube or regular bearings

After talking with several of you guys at Quartszite this year, I am going to have the IS done before the fall rally. I would welcome opinions as to the pros and cons of the neverlube or using regular bearings. According to the Mor-Rhyde salesman, the neverlube should probably be replaced around 8ok miles. These are not interchangeable, so the ones you decide on, you are stuck with.

I sure wish I had the IS a couple of weeks ago when traveling from Flagstaff to Gallup on I-40. I now call this the roller-coaster highway.

Thanks.

mmgeol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Had two Nev-R-Lube bearings go bad on my Sunnybrook. In theory it's a good idea, large double permanently sealed bearings. However in my opinion the bearings are placed too close together and wheel torque does an awful job on them. If the two bearings were further apart like in the EZ Lube, then I think they would have a winner. Myself, I would stick to the EZ Lube until something better comes along. JMHO
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
Have had neverlube and IS for 7 years without any problem.
rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
When we had the IS, Disc Brakes, and Never-r-Lube Bearings installed at Mor/ryde on our Monty, I asked the tech his opinion of the Never-r-Lube bearings. He thought they we okay on mid-weight trailers (we had a 2955) but that they wouldn't hold up on a heavier rig.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Went with regular bearings on my IS. Brakes need to be check so do the bearing at the same time.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mmgeol

After talking with several of you guys at Quartszite this year, I am going to have the IS done before the fall rally. I would welcome opinions as to the pros and cons of the neverlube or using regular bearings. According to the Mor-Rhyde salesman, the neverlube should probably be replaced around 8ok miles. These are not interchangeable, so the ones you decide on, you are stuck with.

I sure wish I had the IS a couple of weeks ago when traveling from Flagstaff to Gallup on I-40. I now call this the roller-coaster highway.

Thanks.

[s]I don't believe the bearings are any different between the two, it's the hubs that are different. They are drilled and fitted with Zerk fitting to lube the bearings. And for what it's worth, I don't know how a salesman can make a call like that about the life of a bearing.[/s]

Oops - misread easylube for never lube! Going by car/truck sealed bearings, 80K is a good number. Some last longer, but many don't. The huge difference is in a car, you can tell they are going bad before a failure results, but I don't know how you would be able to tell on a trailer. Still, 80K on a trailer is a lot of miles!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
When installing the I/S I opted for the regular bearings. Yes it is a PITA crawling under the trailer to grease them but on the other hand while there I can do a complete inspection of the underside to make sure all is right with the world.

When the I/S was installed at MorRyde I got the same answer of the never lube being ok on trailers the size on Montana but not on heavier trailers. My logic was if the never lube were ok for the weight but not on heavier that the regular bearings would be a better option. But I also purchased an extra set of bearings just in case. Hopefully it will go on the same parts pile of parts purchased just in case but never needed or used.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
This is just from a mechanics view. Engineers are always coming out with seemingly new and better. First and foremost, if you're out near the end of the earth (or can see it from where you're sitting) and have a failure with the never lube bearing design ... getting a replacement bearing assuming it hasn't damaged your wheel hub will probably require a longer waiting period as compared to bearings on a regular hub design which are pretty much over the counter. What little I know of them is the dual opposed bearings are pressed into the wheel hub which is what your wheel and tire bolt to. If the bearings do fail, there's a 50/50 shot at the hub expanding where the bearing presses in. Once this expands, the entire hub has to be replaced $$$.
As for the mechanic's thoughts on these bearings not being as favorable on larger rigs. Who knows ... they are larger bearings, but they are placed together farther out on the spindle creating a longer arm of torque that has to support the weight of the larger trailers.
The manufacturer also suggests inspection every 12 months or 12K miles ... so you're taking the wheel hub off just as you would to check a regular bearing pack. You just won't get as greasy? If you want to go to exotic wheel bearing lube systems ... go with the oil bath spindles like on OTR trailers. Like said JIMHO.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
mmgeol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10293
As always, there are lots of experience, insight, and thought to your replies. I think I will opt for the regular bearings since I am a scientist and risk adverse by nature.

Thanks.
mmgeol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It's interesting to read the various opinions and what was told to a person. We had the E-Z lubes on our rig when we bought it. I was told that would allow me to do my own lubricating of the bearings. Being an old farmer, I always went by the old adage, "If one squirt is good, two is better, and three is best." Needless to say, I ruined a lot of brake linings.

Now, I know that this is supposed to be about never lube bearings. I just wanted to get my experience in because Mor/ryde told me not to put any style of E-Z Lube or Never-Lube devices on my IS when I had them installed.

Having said all that, I opt for re-packing wheel bearings annually or every 12,000 miles, whichever comes first when I'm near my mechanic guru and his little gurus.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote