Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2008, 02:56 AM   #1
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
Slide circuit breaker problem

The slides stopped retracting when part way in. After waiting a couple minutes it worked again and has not failed since. It seems that I read about this problem and a fix for it a while back but can't find anything of it now. Anyone know of a fix for this problem. It seems like they put two breakers in paralel to resolve.

rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:30 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I'd start w/just replacing the 50A auto-reset in the front basement. Wired inline from the hydraulic pump, on the wall below the pump w/a red plastic cover. Get two replacements (spare), unhook the battery, and replace it. Takes 10 minutes. Mine has worked fine ever since I did it 2 years ago. Breakers are $5-7. If you have a problem again, you could go the "2 breakers in parallel" route. MHO. Good luck.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:11 AM   #3
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
Am I correct in assuming that if you go to two breakers in parallel that you would use two 25 amp breakers?
Old 05-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rapidrobert, it could be the circuit breaker is not large enough. But if it is a 50 amp breaker then that should be enough unless it's defective or weak.

Another possibility is your slides need lubricating. Usually that's what causes your problem on our Montana. Also, if you notice the slides are a little bit jumpy when moving, then they definitely need lubricating. You lubricate the teeth on the square bars and shoot a bit of lube into the gear pack you see just inside the Montana where the teeth pass through. Use a dry lube so it doesn't attract dirt. NOT WD-40. Silicone lube is fine, too. This info is from both Keystone (the dry lube) and a Lippert rep (MIMF) who says silicone is fine.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I placed 2 breakers in Paralel as you have read about it works great never givin us any more problems our 3400 never would pull all 4 slides in without needing to reset itself now that is not a issue
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
My 3400RL is still under warranty. The dealer called Lippert and then installed a 50 Amp breaker in Parallel. If you look in the battery compartment you will see it mounted on the rear wall and covered with a read rubber cap. Since they did the mod to my Hanna, the slides travel in and out smoothly.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
Did they put two 25 amp breakers in parallel. To put two fifty amp breakers in parallel would double the amperage possible thru the circuit .
Old 05-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
They put another 50 Amp breaker in parallel with the existing one.

You are really trying to get my mind working in electronics again, huh? A parallel circuit distributes the current through all branches. More than 50 amps through either breaker will trip the breaker.

"a break in one branch of a parallel circuit does not stop the flow of current in other branches"

"the voltage is the same in all branches of a parallel circuit and equals the voltage of the source"

"the current is not necessarily the same in all branches of a parallel circuit. The sum of the current drops in all resistances equals the total current flowing through circuit."

So the current will be distributed through the two breakers and will be the sum of the current.

Here is a link on Parallel Resistors

Old 05-18-2008, 02:40 AM   #9
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
The information I received from Lippert was to put two 50's in parellel and it works for me. Haven't has a bit of problem since the mod. Seems Keystone under estimated the amount of juice required to run the hyd pump. Once the reset type of fuses starts breaking, they tend to get weaker and break more often even though 10 seconds will reset them.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hmmm, I don't understand why we've had no problems at all with the standard factory breaker setup and yet others have had problems.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:09 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Hmmm, I don't understand why we've had no problems at all with the standard factory breaker setup and yet others have had problems.
I would suspect the current drawn by the hydraulic pump varies with the tightness of the cylinder components and slide room mechanism. We had never had a problem either, but when I replaced the LR/DR slide cylinder, the 50 amp breaker starting tripping. I added a 30 amp parallel to the 50 and have had no more problems. IIRC, the pump is rated at 100 amps.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:53 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I never had a problem either until it started being posted here and then, I guess Hanna read the forum, I started developing the same problem. I learned that when the 3 drive side slides came in to pause for 15-20 seconds, then continue with the main slide and it would come in without a problem. Under warranty the dealer added a parallel 50 amp and the come in smoother and without interruption.

Since landing gear has been a topic, Hanna read that thread also and decided it is fun to mess with me. I put a circuit breaker (AGC type) in that holder so I only have to run expletives for 10-15 seconds instead of busting my head on the compartment.