Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
SAVING PURPLE MARTINS

I guess I am an old cop with a soft heart. I am just like Richfaa don't like to see animals in a zoo or mistreated. This thread is for those that are lucky enough to have a Purple Martin colony.
In cold tempratures these birds don't do well and in about three days they will start dieing if not able to catch flying insects. They normally don't eat off the ground, only what they catch in the air.
It you ever have this problem or know someone that has. Here is the solution. Purchase meal worms at the local pet shop. I get a cup of the meal worms 500 at a time.
Place a meal worm into a plastic spoon, get as close as you can to the martins and start flipping the meal worms. It will normall take about ten FLIPS before they get the idea. Great way to keep them alive, pass this info on and save the good birds. They see me come out of the house and evenon the nice days, they dive bomb me for treats kinda neat.. hope this info saves a few. SEE YOU IN BRANSON JOHN

Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Great idea! I never thought of that.
My wife complains (once in a while, since she knows it's useless) about my keeping containers of nightcrawlers in the refrigerator during fishing season. Now I can keep "creepy crawlers" in there all year with a good reason to back me up (hee hee).
(I hope my wife doesn't see this!)
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote