Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2006, 06:16 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
WE looked at ALL the post on bike racks going back 1 year and came to this conclusion. Mounted on the front of the truck is out.Just don't like that method, that's it. Roof mounted.Don't' like that method either and who is going to put them up and take them down,I say no and Helen says no way so that is that. Hauling them around in the back of the truck..too much trouble. That leaves the ladder mountand the rear hitch method.We prefer the rear hitch method and will do that If We can find the proper setup and someone who can do it..The Frame warranty is voided only if the weight exceeds 150 Lbs and two mountain bikes and hitch do not weigh 150lbs.If that does not work then the ladder mount which is a pain in the Butt. We hauled two bikes around with a rear bumper mounted hitch on our Terry TT for 10 years without problem..it was good to HAVE a bumper.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:46 AM   #22
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We have the front hidden hitch, at first we thought, ???????, not sure how that would work out. We were very concerned bout affects rear mounted hitch on Montana might do with frame, etc, and the truth is, when we were quoted $300 and UP for installation, well, we balked, that was out of our financial comfort zone. We also looked at some of the installations done by commercial places (vs a member/individual install), and have to say, we were not impressed by some of them, sloppy, questionable, did not suit us. So, we went to the much cheaper (bout $100 to $120) front hidden hitch, Al installed, did not take too long, and he knew what kind of workmanship went into the install. We hauled the bikes 1700 miles to the Rio Grande, and even I who thought, UGHH, these things out front are gonna be bad, have to say, now after driving with em on there, NO BIGGIE! This worked very well for us, fit our comfort zones, and we love having the bikes with us.

Each to his own with comfort zone, financial and other wise. I think we found ours.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:37 PM   #23
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Al & Carol I to have been kicking the bike rack thing around for a couple of weeks. I think I to like the idea of having the DARN thing mounted no the back of the trailer. I was with you on the front mount hitch, but just wouldn't like looking over it??

Rich I talked to my dealer (stealer) about mounting it on the back of the trailer, they wanted $855.00.LOL

What I have learned is a hitch will bolt on the rear frame of the trailer. My frame is 71" wide and there is a hitch made for motorhomes that will fit the frame. Model number 82201 http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?
Look around you can find it cheaper.

Has far has the weight problem 150LB max, this hitch weights 40lbs, the bike rack that holds two bikes weights 40lbs also (which doubles on the back of the truck to carry the bikes), and if we carry two bikes ours weight under 80lbs. I know this does put me over weight, but what is ten pounds (on my belly ALOT but thats what the bikes are for).

Not knocking ether way of doing it, I thank this is the way I'll go. See-Ya
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I will check out the price with our dealer. to install .He has the bike rack and hitch on his parts listing at less than 1/2 the 855.00.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #25
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I'm going with the Yakima roof rack. I've used them before, they're strong, they lock, and the bikes are up and out of the way. On the back they pick up alot of road grim. And as long as you don't try to drive into the garage with them up there they are out of harms way. Yes, I did try that once, it was hard on the bikes, gutters and fascia board.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:12 AM   #26
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sweetfire

I'm going with the Yakima roof rack. I've used them before, they're strong, they lock, and the bikes are up and out of the way. On the back they pick up alot of road grim. And as long as you don't try to drive into the garage with them up there they are out of harms way. Yes, I did try that once, it was hard on the bikes, gutters and fascia board.
how does this attach to the top of the truck.Is their some thing else I would need to buy.And on my truck I have those wind deflecters at the top of all my windows so you can crack the window open when its raining.i wonder if these would need to be removed.Not some thing I would want to do.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:13 AM   #27
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpbcny

I use a front mounted receiver for my bike carrier, very easy to install, reasonably priced. I got it from J.C. Whitney, you can check it out here: Hidden Hitch

JP
================================================== ===================
This is what I was looking for .but was wondering, does this bolt to front by removeing tow hooks?? if so seems like it would be a real solid hitch.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:33 AM   #28
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
mlp897

Take the bolts off that are currently holding your tow hooks. Position the bike rack, they give you NEW longer bolts, bolt tow hooks and bike rack ON!

Al says very sturdy and the bikes when mounted and with a few bungy cords don't move much up there.

The bikes were not dirty when we got here and we ran one day in some rain. We did not even wash them, just took em off the bike rack and started riding! (that really surprised us, under other weather conditions, I would bet that might change! )

Did find that you need to have those chains well lubed, the rain started rusting them real fast.

Looking over the bikes was a non issue after just a few miles. And, no, the engine temp did not go up, last summer in some pretty decent heat (95 in Michigan is decent heat) it might have gone up a couple of degrees. Does not seem to affect cooling and radiator.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:11 AM   #29
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I ride a recumbent which is a little long for the ladder rack. So, we had a hitch installed on the Big Sky and now on the Cambridge. The Cambridge has a rear living room and a big picture window in the back like the 3400 and others. I dislike looking at the bikes out the back so we find it necessary to unload them rather frequently. The view obstruction would be even worse with a ladder rack. Think I will look into a hidden hitch. However, I always bag the bikes and I don't think that will work in front of the truck. I guess everything is a compromise....
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:21 AM   #30
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
John (harleyrider),

The racks use clips that attach to the inside of the door frames so they may interfer with your wind deflectors. If you don't already have a Yakima system they can be a little pricy to get into. You would need four "Q Clips" about $28.00/pr., four "Q Towers" about $130.00/pr., two cross bars about $50.00, and then the bike racks that cost between $70.00 and $134.00. I have the "Steelhead" bike racks that are about $109.00, and lastly lock cores which are sold in 2,4,6,8,10, and 12 packs all keyed the same, a six pack costing $55.00 (one lock eack for the Q Towers and one eack for the bike racks). So as you can see a Yakima rack system for say two bikes with the cheaper rack would cost about $506.00 MSRP. You can find them cheaper and if your lucky used. Once you buy the basic rack system you can add many other racks and cargo carriers if needed, such canoe and kayak racks or space cases and baskets.

Pros;

1. Bike is not likly to get banged into or dragged. Not too much of a problem if bikes are inexpensive big problem if they are.

2. They are locked to vehicle.

3. If you put bike bras on them they stay relatively clean.

4. They won't scratch each other or something else (trailer, truck grill or hood).

5. Versatility.

Cons;

1. Cost.

2. If you're vertically challenged (short) like me you'll need to stand on the running boards or a stool to load them.

3. You'll need the upper body strength to put the bike over your head to load.

4. If you have a sun roof you may get increased wind noise.

5. Appearence, some people would not like the racks on their TV, but they are easy to remove.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:32 AM   #31
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sweetfire

John (harleyrider),

The racks use clips that attach to the inside of the door frames so they may interfer with your wind deflectors. If you don't already have a Yakima system they can be a little pricy to get into. You would need four "Q Clips" about $28.00/pr., four "Q Towers" about $130.00/pr., two cross bars about $50.00, and then the bike racks that cost between $70.00 and $134.00. I have the "Steelhead" bike racks that are about $109.00, and lastly lock cores which are sold in 2,4,6,8,10, and 12 packs all keyed the same, a six pack costing $55.00 (one lock eack for the Q Towers and one eack for the bike racks). So as you can see a Yakima rack system for say two bikes with the cheaper rack would cost about $506.00 MSRP. You can find them cheaper and if your lucky used. Once you buy the basic rack system you can add many other racks and cargo carriers if needed, such as canoe and kayak racks or space cases and baskets.

Pros;

1. Bike is not likly to get banged into or dragged. Not too much of a problem if bikes are inexpensive big problem if they are.

2. They are locked to vehicle.

3. If you put bike bras on them they stay relatively clean.

4. They won't scratch each other or something else (trailer, truck grill or hood).

5. Versatility.

Cons;

1. Cost.

2. If you're vertically challenged (short) like me you'll need to stand on the running boards or a stool to load them.

3. You'll need the upper body strength to put the bike over your head to load.

4. If you have a sun roof you may get increased wind noise.

5. Appearence, some people would not like the racks on their TV, but they are easy to remove.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:06 AM   #32
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
DENNIS

Thanks for the info.If the clips attach to the inside of the door frame i think i will be ok.When I open my door the wind deflectors are with the open door.Not the frame of the top of the truck.Wind deflectors is probably not even the right name for these.they are the smoke colored plastic things where you can crack your window in the rain without any water getting in.I know you have seen these before.Usually you get what you pay for in quality-and this roof rack system looks like its very well made and will last a long time.My wife and I gave each other really nice mountain bikes for Christmas.god I haven`t been on a pedal bike in ages,but God think it would be a lot of fun while camping.

bought this device thats called the "walky dog"one part of it attaches to the bike right below the seat.then another part attaches to the below the seat part-with a quick connect 2 foot metal bar.It has a short leach on it to hook up to our english lab.so we can have him go with us for bike rides.how cool is that.

almost 53 years old and I`am excited about going bike riding.We never grow up I guess!!!!!
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:32 AM   #33
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I had a gizmo like that for my lab. It attached to the rear frame of the bike and had a big spring on it so it gave the dog a little relief if he was faster or slower than me. One caution, don't let anything get between you and the dog. A sign post or power pole will bring you both to an abrupt stop. Don't ask.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:25 PM   #34
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dennis
Okay you gave me my laugh for the day. Just visual you and your dog racing along and whoops! Thanks.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:52 AM   #35
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Has anyone had experience with a bike rack at the rear of the TV? I only need to carry one bike. I have a large "toy box" in the bed behind the window. Long Bed TV.

Could the Hidden Hitch be placed there, like it is in the front?
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:17 AM   #36
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
BJ, doesn't Lady Ram have a regular hitch on her back end, near the bumper?? Our GMC does, and we can use the bike rack in there if we want to. I believe someone does haul around ONE bike on back of TV, they put photo on the forum back last spring when I brought this very subject up. Al just could not figure out a way to get BOTH bikes between GMC and Montana. The Hidden Hitch is to put on the front, where we normally do not have one, then we use any bike rack that mounts to a hitch in conjunction with the Hidden Hitch. Does that make sense??
Old 01-18-2006, 01:52 AM   #37
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I wish the frame manufacturer or the trailer manufacturers would get just a little smarter and put a receiver system on the trailers as standard equipment. I think it would be a great selling point at the shows or at the dealerships to take buyers around and show them this great improvement. I put a rear receiver on my 04 Mountaineer 5vr. It was a wintertime project after I bought it and wife said she wants her bike along. Had to take the rear crank down stalilizer sysytem off along with a couple sheets of underbelly cover. I had to add some extra steel ,but I made it work. The point is that the whole time I worked on it I keep thinking that if those who build these things would put this on as standard equipment,the buyers would not have to spend all this extra time and money trying to figure out how to carry a couple of bikes.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:55 AM   #38
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Carol,

Yes I have a hitch on the back of the TV. I guess I just need "something" that serves as the rack attached to the hitch.

I will search for you previous thread.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:12 AM   #39
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
old turbo I putting a rear hitch on and would like to know which hitch you put on your trailer. See-Ya
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:46 AM   #40
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
fla native

Our previous 5th wheel had a bumper on it that we attached the bike rack to it. When we bought the Montana...no back bumper!!! Sooooooooo I used that bike rack and made some modifications so it would fit in the 2 inch receiver. The bike is a large frame bike so it fits with no problems. I have to take the bike off when unhitching. Click on the link below for a picture with the truck turned 45 degrees. Hope this helps and if you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me or ask them here on the forum.

http://tinypic.com/m7cnph.jpg

tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote