Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #21
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
There are many Inverters in use, and seems each MFR picks the brand they want to use.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:15 PM   #22
captjac39
Established Member

M.O.C. #21192
Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
I have a question about how the full size fridge electrical works.

My understanding is that there is an inverter in there that powers the fridge when you're not on shore power.

But, when you're on shore power is the electrical feed for the fridge coming thru the main panel (the converter/breaker panel) or still thru the inverter?

Just wondering about the longevity of the inverter if it's being used all the time. Maybe they are more robust than I think....
To be sure it is off you can turn the battery switch off on the wall in the battery area which feeds the inverter. You can also turn the inverter off with the button on the face of the inverter near the read out
captjac39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:30 PM   #23
Track50
Established Member

M.O.C. #23970
When we bought our Montana they said that it's not recommended to have the inverter on when plugged in. That was directly from the keystone rep. I feel safer taking his advice.
Track50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:59 PM   #24
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Well, I did a little looking into this today while we are out on out maiden voyage.

As it turns out, on our model, knowing if the inverter is even ON is not easy to discover. Turning it off, must be done completely blind. You have to feel arou d and find the power button and then hold it for a couple of seconds. The inverter does have a readout, but it's totally worthless because you can't see it at all.

While I don't doubt the previous post about Keystone recommending that the inverter be trained off, they obviously weren't too serious about a statement like that if you have to be a contortionist to turn it on and off in our model.

At this point our plan is to leave it on all the time, and disconnect the batteries to turn it off. They definitely didn't make it easy to do in this model. One thing that would help with this inverter would be to get the remote switch for turning it on and off. May have to look into that...

Here is a picture of where it is located, and it's about two feet from the opening, so not close, and the end with the plug on it is the end with the power button and display panel, and that is 4" from the wall, so close there too:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sketch-1571428561285.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	4880  
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #25
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
That looks like my inverter. It's a CSW1012 made by Sensata. Our inverter quit working on our trip out last Saturday. I have contacted the manufacturer today after getting back and have yet to hear back from them. I don't believe this is a contributing factor but when we hook up to SP I turn the inverter off. I only run it when hooked to the truck.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #26
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
It is a CSW1012. If they really think your going to turn it off on SP, they really need to make it convenient to shut on and off. I'm still nimble enough that I could if it was a requirement, but my parents couldn't turn it on and off. They just can't get back there to do it.

Not the greatest design if turning it on and off is a requirement.

If ours went out, out if warranty, I'd redo that whole arrangement to make it more user friendly. My front compartment is HUGE. I think I could find some room in there to do it "better". Again, I'm a recovering engineer.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:52 PM   #27
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Our inverter is in a pretty accessible location. I think much of it depends on the Montana model you have. The only thing I would do different is change the orientation to have the on/off switch and display face the compartment door.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #28
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
Our inverter is in a pretty accessible location. I think much of it depends on the Montana model you have. The only thing I would do different is change the orientation to have the on/off switch and display face the compartment door.
It must be model specific, because ours is in a terrible location...
Old 10-19-2019, 05:41 AM   #29
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Mine is in a similar location. I occasionally have issues with the GFI on the inverter tripping so I plugged one of these in the other side of the duplex so I can readily see if the circuit is on or off just by glancing in. I also put a remote thermometer in the fridge so I can monitor it while on the road.
https://www.amazon.com/Southwire-Equ...483972&sr=8-10

hope this helps.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #30
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Too new to tell for us if we're going to have issues with the GFCI, but that would be a pain if it was tripping that. Even a remote switch wouldn't help you in that situation because it would show that the inverter is on, and it is, but there's no output because the GF I breaker is tripped.

The remote fridge temp thing is a good idea if you're traveling a long distance. We typically only go about 60 miles to our favorite spot, so not the end of the world. But the plan is to go on some longer trips as well, so knowing what's going on back there would handy. Have to look into that...
Old 10-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #31
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Inverters need to be as close as possible, but not in the same area as flooded cell batteries. If yours are not in the passthrough and less than six feet cable length from the batteries...keystone installed wrong. If you had agm batteries, then it could be in the front and on the back wall. Inverters are still only 90-93% efficient these days, so multiply whatever is drawn on the 120vac side max current including start and icemaker by about 12 and you get the max current draw out of the batteries. And the inverter manufacturers specify orientation for mounting the inverter, so you should look at the manual and make sure it was done correctly.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #32
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
Inverters need to be as close as possible, but not in the same area as flooded cell batteries. If yours are not in the passthrough and less than six feet cable length from the batteries...keystone installed wrong. If you had agm batteries, then it could be in the front and on the back wall. Inverters are still only 90-93% efficient these days, so multiply whatever is drawn on the 120vac side max current including start and icemaker by about 12 and you get the max current draw out of the batteries. And the inverter manufacturers specify orientation for mounting the inverter, so you should look at the manual and make sure it was done correctly.
Maybe this is a bold assumption on my part, but I'm assuming that Keystone is meeting all of the manufacturers recommendations. It is within 6'. The issue is that they could meet all of the manufacturers recommendations, but you still can't turn the unit on and off easily, nor can you see at all what it's doing if you wanted /needed to know. That's the part I don't like...
Old 10-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #33
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
My inverter is mounted on the Front Basement Bulkhead, directly behind the Battery Bank so my cables are only several feet long. But I also have a Remote Control mounted inside which displays the inverter status/battery status and also can turn the inverter on or off.