Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2004, 03:02 PM   #1
Montana_1882
Established Member

M.O.C. #1882
A few questions???

I have a new 05 Mountaineer 335rlbs and need to know a few things. First, is the fresh water pump noisy in everyone's units? It sounds like it needs a rubber bushing between it and the floor where it is mounted. I haven't looked at it yet to find out. In our old TT, the pump would come on when you turned a faucet on and it would run continuous until you turned the faucet off. This one seems to run differently and keeps the pressure built up in the lines.

Second, I have a drain line below the fresh water tank by the back bumper, and there are two more drain lines under the trailer below the bedroom door. What are these 2 lines for?

We've had our new unit for almost 2 months and we absolutely love it. We've had a tiny leak under the frame that holds the glass around the shower. A little silicone fixed it right up. Other than that, it is a dream home. I just wish we could quit working and see this great country we have. If we didn't need money, we would leave tomorrow.

Thanks for your responses and it's great to be a member of this forum.

Montana_1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:10 PM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Jeff, sounds like the two other drains are the "low point" drains: one for the cold water pipes and the other for the hot water pipes. Used mostly when draining for freezing weather when the trailer is not in use. The one at the fresh water tank is for draining that tank. I often drain the fresh water tank, and start with clean water when leaving on a trip. I usually carry that fresh water about 1/3 full to keep weight down, and find that sufficient "on the road."

dw
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:56 PM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Yes all the water pumps are loud! The pump in Your new trailer probably puts out more volume so it runs intermittantly instead of constantly. You can add more rubber under the pump but a majority of the noise resonates from the water line rubbing against the side of the cabinet. Try and insulate it some to quiet things down. I often think about doing something to quiet things down but we rarely dry camp and usuaully have a water hookup so the pump doesn't get used much.

The tubes are low point drains. I drain the entire system after each trip so there is no chance of water stagnating, I also drain the hot water heater.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes, as others said, those are low point drains. As John said, the lines tend to vibrate against the walls and each other. If you can put some pipe insulation on them, that helps. Rubber bushing between pump and floor also helps. I'm also planning one of these days to insulate the walls inside the compartment to contain some of the noise. We don't use the pump often but when we do it sure is annoying. Ours is next to the wall to the upstairs area so we really hear it in the bedroom as well as the living room.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 05:07 PM   #5
jh1802
Established Member

M.O.C. #2162
The loud pump topic came up in another forum afew years back. A couple solutions were: Cut a piece of 1" styrofoam insulation and put it between the pump and the floor.You will need to use longer screws to reattach the pump.
Also, putting a piece of flexible waterline between the holding tank and the pump and between the pump and the line going out to your fixtures. Some people statedthat part of the noise is the water lines vibrating. Everyone that did both was successful.
It was also mentioned that a mounting kit comes with the pumps to keep it up off the floor but the manufacturera don't use it.
jh1802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 06:47 PM   #6
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
As for the noisy pump. Ours had rigid pipe hooked directly to the out put side of the pump. We replaced that section wit the clear plastic pipe that is reinforced from the pump the the first fitting. attached it with small hose clamp's. This cuts down the vibration in the pipes and lessons the noise. I am sure your pump has rubber mounts. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:49 AM   #7
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
In our Mountaineer I was able to reduce the pump noise by centering it in the little area where they put it. They had it right up against the wall which caused the wall to vibrate increasing the noise. By moving it so it did not touch the wall the noise is now bearable. So check and see if it is touching the wall and if so if there is room to move it away from the wall.

As other have said the 2 lines are your hot and cold water low points for draining the system.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 02:03 AM   #8
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
sounds like everyone has already answered your questions. let us know if anything else comes up.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:56 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hey, thanks to all for the info. I have not run into this problem yet, but if I do, I feel armed to deal with it.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 02:58 PM   #10
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Mine is noisy and I have insulated all my water lines and it helped a little but is still noiser than I would like. Guess I will have to live with it or change it to the quiet ones that CW sells.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:58 PM   #11
Montana_1882
Established Member

M.O.C. #1882
Thanks to all!! I'll do some investigating when I get the chance. I've been staying at a park that has terrible water pressure so I filled the tank and turn the pump on for showers so that I don't have to chase the water droplets around to get wet.

Montana_1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:09 PM   #12
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
If none of the fixes meets your needs, try this one:

http://www.camperschoice.com/Product...ctGroupId=2522

This is a variable speed pump that pumps on based on demand. It increases/decreases the water supply as demand changes. It does not exhibit the "thumping" sound of the OEM pump on your unit which is either on or off. I don't have one, but it sure is tempting.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote