Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2004, 05:25 AM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
WiFi, full hookups-Michigan State Parks with both

Just148 and Steve R and all you wifi lovers!!

Here is a web site (I have no idea if they change the URL regularly, hope it works in the future)

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...1452--,00.html

If the URL does not work, go to Michigan DNR site, and start looking around, Recreation and Camping is one place to start. (I had trouble finding all this data, but, it IS out there on the DNR site)

OK, Campgrounds in Michigan State Park system with FULL hookups:

Hartwick Pines (this is a new campground)

Holland

Sterling (this is a new campground - - what I mean by that is that Hartwick and Sterling have been DNR parks for a number of years, but in the last 5 years or so, several of the old campgrounds have been closed down and new ones built in the same park. Sterling was just done in the last couple of years. We have not been there camping since they redid it, and I doubt we will be going, but that is a different post!)

NOW: Wifi is now available at these campgrounds and this one rest area, which I think is VERY interesting!!

Grand Haven

Holland

Mackinaw Island State Harbor

Clarkston Rest Area (southbound I - 75)

coming by next Spring (2005):

New Buffalow Welcome Center

Coldwater Welcome Center

Ludington State Park

Mears State Park

Steriling State Park

East Tawas State Park

Wendell, you were right, you did see that information somewhere on the web!! I found it the other night when considering parks to visit this weekend.

So, go forth and camp and wifi!

Carol

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 06:08 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Upon further investigation it is becoming clear that you better have a laptop with a great battery fully charged at some of these locations. The wifi is available 150 feet from the concession stand at Grand Haven and Holland and you must pay to use it at Mackinaw.

One step forward, one step backward???

Old 10-13-2004, 06:42 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the post. Hopefully the cost will go down in the future. Happyrving...
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:21 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the info. We're at the Elkhart County Fairgrounds in Goshen until Monday morning. Arrived last night. This morning I trekked to the park office and used their central hookup for email. When I got back I popped in my wi-fi card just to see if there was a connection I could cabbage onto. Lo and behold, "Elkhart Country Fairgrounds" came up. It was a subscription or prepaid only so I went back to the office and asked. They sold me two days' worth of wi-fi. Why one earth this info is not handed out at checkin I don't know. So I'm smiling although this particular place is rather pricey for wi-fi. Most are more reasonable from what I've seen.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 05:17 AM   #5
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Steve What do you consider pricey? We were in West Glacier, MT this summer and a gift shop there was offering WiFi for $7.00 for 5 minutes or $15 per hour. Thats pricey!!!!!!
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:37 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Back to the subject of Michigan State Parks,

They are closing many of them a week or two early this year, most likely due to budget cuts.

Several parks we frequent (near Metro Detroit) were closed as of October 17th. More closing the 23rd. Most USED to close on November 1st.

We hear from the staff here at Holly Recreation Area (a member of the Michigan State Park system) that they will ALSO be opening late next spring.

So, in the infinate wisdom of government, they built a very expensive new park at Sterling (which many of the campers did not want, cause they moved it out to the Lake so we can freeze our hineys off, except on 95 degree days) and they are closing other campgrounds early, and not opening till later in the spring of 2005 and some of the campgrounds like we are in right now, are in sad shape (used to love Holly, the sites are still great, but the roads are HORRIBLE) and they are giving us wifi IF we want to sit 150 feet from the concession stands (which in most cases are no where near the campsites).

I am befuddled, and also disgusted at the moment with the officials of the Michigan DNR. SIGH
Old 10-19-2004, 04:37 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dennis and Carol

Steve What do you consider pricey? We were in West Glacier, MT this summer and a gift shop there was offering WiFi for $7.00 for 5 minutes or $15 per hour. Thats pricey!!!!!!
Whoa! I no doubt would have passed on that one! The pricey one I mentioned was $10/day or $50/week. We're now in a park where we'll be until after Christmas and they just got wi-fi. It's $29.95 per month. I don't recall seeing a daily rate but I probably just didn't look since we'll be here awhile.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote