Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2004, 05:30 AM   #1
Montana_2164

M.O.C. #2164
canadian purchases

Is it possible to puchase my rv in canada to take advantage of the exchange rate. I'm from New Jersey. Are there any rules. thank you

Montana_2164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 04:26 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Since most RV's are either built in the U.S. or assembled in Canada from components mostly imported from the US, they are really priced in US$ converted to CDN$. So if you buy one in CDN$, it is going to end up costing you about the same, or a little more than you would pay for the same unit in the US. There may be exceptions, but generally I don't think there is anything to be gained, and you end up with an orphan unit without local dealer support. Also, the CDN$ has been on an upswing recently, so there is less of an exchange advantage than there used to be.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 01:51 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I agree with John and Donna. Another thing to consider is the how far you would have to go for dealer warranty items.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:59 AM   #4
Montana_2164

M.O.C. #2164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

Since most RV's are either built in the U.S. or assembled in Canada from components mostly imported from the US, they are really priced in US$ converted to CDN$. So if you buy one in CDN$, it is going to end up costing you about the same, or a little more than you would pay for the same unit in the US. There may be exceptions, but generally I don't think there is anything to be gained, and you end up with an orphan unit without local dealer support. Also, the CDN$ has been on an upswing recently, so there is less of an exchange advantage than there used to be.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:02 AM   #5
Montana_2164

M.O.C. #2164
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:22 PM   #6
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
Interesting Question - I live in Canada and have purchased my last 2 RV's (The latest being a Montana 2955RL) from the States. I found the prices better and the dealers much easier to deal with. Canadian dealers do not seem to want to give you any kind of figure - you have to make an offer, argue about it then wait for the inevitable "Well I had better go talk to my manager"!!!
My dealings with the US dealers have always been very straight forward and I been able to negotiate a basic price over the phone (As I knew exactly what I wanted) then travelled down and finalized the sale (Adding extra goodies and getting the price moved a bit at that time.)
If any Canadian is contemplating purchasing from the US it is very easy. In fact the first time I brought my new trailer across the border into Canada the customs guys never even came out to look at it!. They only wanted the GST. There is NO Duty except $100 for the air conditioning unit (don't ask me why) There is a fee of approximately $150 to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles) and a minor test to be done by Canadian Tire. More info is available at www.riv.ca
There is no warranty problem as there are Montana dealerships in Canada.
Good Luck.
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote