Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
FIRST SEASON A SUCCESS

As you know, my wife & I are newbees to the 5th wheel club. We picked up our unit in Boise ID, spent a month there enjoying our new freedom. And then came home to Illinois, taking about 1 1/2 weeks to do so.
Went across country with the Monty & parked the unit at a site we own about 1 1/2 hours away from our stick house. The site is all year campground. We spent another month at the site.
Only problem we have experienced, besides required minor adjustments that all new things need, is the furnace malfunction. But after having the sail switch replaced, everything seemed to be okay.
Mileage on the truck (diesel) was between 12-13 driving at 60. I have not experienced backing up the unit, but in time I will.
Monty is now winterized & closed for the season. Made us sad to leave the unit. Felt cozy even through the chilly night.
We can't wait for spring. This is the way to enjoy retirement.
Fun & safety to all.

Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
congradulations on a sucessful first season. yes it is sad when we winterize but the anticipation of spring is worth it.
okierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Seemed like every time we took our unit out there was some little nit or something that needed more than expected attention. Now things have settled down and the good times FAR outweigh any bad things.

You folks did it right. Spent lots of time in it and uncovered and fixed a problem, then put it away for the season. May the future remain just as calm.

You don't mention how far away this storage campsite is located. For long term storage you'll just need to monitor the tire pressure so the tires don't get too flat or you might put sturdy and tall jacks in place. Use at least 2 ton jacks and blocks in front and rear of the tires and not under the axle but under the frame so as the tires naturally lose air, the weight of the rig doesn't put undue pressure on them. You didn't mention what you're doing with the batteries (hopefully you took them home with you to keep them "conditioned").

You sound like you've done things right. You've definitely got me one-upped by the winterizing, but I do have you on the backing (I'm good, but not real good, yet). That can be tricky until you learn how to imagine what's going on and relate the turning with the backing by going slow and making subtle movements and in the correct manner, then practicing a lot. Make sure you learn the correct backup method and then practice that. Early on, I kept practicing the wrong way until I figured it out. As the Spring thaw approaches, remind us you might need help and we'll try and provide you some things to do.

In the meantime, have a wonderful Winter!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Glad to hear things went well for you during your first season...here's to every following season enjoying the same success!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
lmccallister
Established Member

M.O.C. #11529
Glad to hear you had little trouble with your monty...this is my first year with my 3400 and have had a very susessful 6000 mile trip with a few minor warrenty issue with are being fixed as I type and will be putting her to rest for the winter time :-(
lmccallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hecky darn, don't winterize. Go south! Winterize the stick house.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Agree with Stiles! Life is too short to not get out and experience this country!

Congratulations, Larry, on enjoying your travels.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote