Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
B and L Express

M.O.C. #7527
pilot light on Refrigerator

We have a 2004 2980RL and my wife and I are having discusions about rather to run the Ref. on gas while we are traveling on the road. I keep thinking that the pilot light will just blow out and keep trying to lite. I also think that leaving the gas on is not safe. Of course my wife does not agree-------We need some help from our friends??????? THANKS -- B and L Express

B and L Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
First, welcome to the forum B and L Express. Next, nothing like getting acquainted with a contentious topic. Regardless of whether it is right or wrong, I travel with the fridge on gas when we are towing. It takes about 4 hours to get the fridge cold enough for my use, so I usually turn it on the day before we leave, stock it up and hit the road. This is not an endorsement for the practice, just letting you know that I am guilty of the practice.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by B and L Express

We have a 2004 2980RL and my wife and I are having discusions about rather to run the Ref. on gas while we are traveling on the road. I keep thinking that the pilot light will just blow out and keep trying to lite. I also think that leaving the gas on is not safe. Of course my wife does not agree-------We need some help from our friends??????? THANKS -- B and L Express
Welcome to the forum and continue to seek out any advice you think you need. As for your question about running the refrigerator on propane while traveling, it works. The pilot light will not blow out. However, my advice to you is to not run it at all unless you're going to be on the road for more than 5-6 hours straight. We've been traveling full time for seven years and when we travel for only 5-6 hours, we don't run the refer at all. It will stay cold and the temperature inside only rises about 3° as long as you leave it closed while traveling. Other people feel they must run it but that's their choice. I also leave it off because I don't want an open flame (pilot light) on when pulling into refueling stations. My choice because I once observed a travel trailer which had the refer running on propane when it was towed into a service station and some stray fumes from the gas pumps at the station caused an explosion and the TT burned up. Fortunately that was the only damage done. So, you take your choice. No matter what your choice is, don't let anyone tell you that you are wrong.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ahhh, ditto to what Bingo just stated. Confession, we do the same thing and have done so since 1987 but this just means we have been lucky.

Words of caution are many...leaving Gas on is risk in that an accident could leave dangerous LP discharging uncontrolled...

The best answer to your question is to start Fridge up in advance of trip, load it and allow goods to reach storage temperature. Secure Fridge and gas system....travel to a destination that is limited dependant on outside temperature to sustain recomended storage temperatures. If very long distance then sufficient stop-over's is recommended to allow Fridge recovery time.

Safe travels to all.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
B and L Express

M.O.C. #7527
Thanks for all your help. We will take your advice and keep our daily trips on the road down to 4 or 5 hours ---this way we can leave it off and my wife and I will both be happy. We are now on the road from Vancouver, WA to the East coast. We are currently in Cody, Wyoming. We plan on being on the road for at least 7 weeks. Traveling 5 hours a day is about right for us.
Thanks for your help B and L Express
B and L Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I have some blue ice containers. I usually freeze three or four of these put three in the freezer and one in the refer. On a four or five hour run, this seems to solve any heat problems. If I am going to be traveling four or five days in a row, I will put an ice chest with water, pop and snacks in the 5er. In this way, I am not in the refer as often and a longer recovery time is not necessary.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:24 PM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by noneck

-snip-.

Words of caution are many...leaving Gas on is risk in that an accident could leave dangerous LP discharging uncontrolled...
I also use the gas when traveling but do shut it down when fueling. I believe the above statement is less accurate now with the "new" propane tanks internal shutoff valve. Yes in an accident there would be an initial flow of propane but as soon as the tanks recognize an open line they shut off.
Again this is my understanding. Could someone who services Propane clarify?
Also I do not believe there is a "pilot light" like the stove. There is an electric striker that ignites the propane similar to the furnace. I do not know if once ignited it is always on or if it does turn on and off. Another good question for an expert.

Good luck and safe towing.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:21 AM   #8
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Way back when there was someone who actually pumped gas for you at a service station. This guy was severly burned on the face and arms when someone with a camper pulled in and and had the refrig running. He asked if everything was shut off but did not check himself. He was pumping gas into their vehicle when the fumes flashed. It was not a pretty sight. Skin grafts and a couple of years he recovered. Luckily he didnt lose his eyesight. I had forgotton about that until now. These days he would be a millionaire but this was before lawsuits were popular also. I usually run with mine on but now I will turn it off before getting close to the pumps for my safety and the safety of others. Since I run diesel the risk is low but better to be safe than sorry.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:13 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Your trailer is designed to tow with the propane ON. The refrigerator is designed to operate down the road fueled by propane. You are required to shut off all open flames when refueling the tow vehicle.

The propane tanks themselves have excessive flow shut off valves inside the tanks at the base of the valve. Your propone hose connections have excessive shutoff orifices. If the plumbing is ruptured in an accident the fuel shuts off. If the tank is ejected, the fuel shuts off. Its all explained in the LP manual that came with your Montana.

Now.. leave the propane on, enjoy refrigerated perishables, and quit being paranoid!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:23 AM   #10
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Your trailer is designed to tow with the propane ON. The refrigerator is designed to operate down the road fueled by propane. You are required to shut off all open flames when refueling the tow vehicle.

The propane tanks themselves have excessive flow shut off valves inside the tanks at the base of the valve. Your propone hose connections have excessive shutoff orifices. If the plumbing is ruptured in an accident the fuel shuts off. If the tank is ejected, the fuel shuts off. Its all explained in the LP manual that came with your Montana.

Now.. leave the propane on, enjoy refrigerated perishables, and quit being paranoid!
This is a well worded reply, and exactly as we do it. Turn off the refrigerator before you enter the gas station.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #11
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
As noted, it is designed to be on when travelling, that's what is is for.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
For years when I travel in the cold months I also have on the furnace and hot water heater to keep things from freezing.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote