Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2007, 03:08 AM   #1
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
5th wheel motion while camping

I have only used my new Mounteneer 5th wheel a few times since purchasing it last October. I have noticed the motion of the camper when someone moves around in it. I have been reading all the posts on this subject and relating them to my experience.

I have the rear stablizers, regular wheel chocks and a king pin stablizer. I agree the rear stablizers work best when not extended too far. Not sure of the value of the pin stablizer but hear pros and cons on it from people I know who have them.

I am ready to purchase the Ultr-Fab Products Chock & Lock unit advertized in Camping World RB View and give them a try. I saw the post about this subject and most were using a different brand that appears to use a strap/band that is cranked to pull the two wedges together.

I guess my question concerns where would my money be best spent in stopping the motion. If it is the chock & lock type units will solve most of my motion problems is the brand/type important?

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:30 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cyrus

I guess my question concerns where would my money be best spent in stopping the motion. If it is the chock & lock type units will solve most of my motion problems is the brand/type important?
The chocks you use between the wheels is probably the best way to stop the forward and aft motion. For my money, notice I said my money, Roto-Choks are the best. And they serve a dual purpose of locking the wheels of the rig before you unhitch, thereby preventing any possible rolling off the hitch of the truck.

We've used these chocks (as well as tried 4 or 5 other different kinds) for 6+ years now and if they ever wear out, I'll get the same kind again.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:12 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Going with Orv on the Roto-chocks, I love them, easy to put on, take off and really help with the stability.
I've noticed that I have to re-tighten the rear stabilizer legs after a few days, the trailer settles, I guess. But I can always get a little adjustment out of them.
I like the tripod, like many I just set it up If I'm going to be parked for a week or so.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:24 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are never going to get rid of all the motion..after all it is a camper and not on a foundation not to mention slides that extend out over from the frame of the camper. The above will remove about as much of the motion as possible.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have the BAL between wheel chocks and have been happy with them. They're simple and easy to use. For the up and down motion, we installed a set of scissor jacks on the frame behind the rear wheels. That's probably been the single most effective thing we've done to reduce motion. But, in the end, you have to face it that you will not eliminate it all. We do better when parked on a hard surface than when on grass, gravel, or dirt.

I think those bars put on the stabilizers also help, maybe more than anything else. But I don't have them and I'm not sure if we'll get them. We've gotten used to a little motion afer all this time. Having it not move would probably be a bit upsetting as it would be so different.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Another vote for Roto-Chocks! One of the BEST things I purchased for my unit. I definetly can tell when they aren't on.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
The only way I was able to stop it was bit the bullet and spent the $400.00 for the JT strong arm stabilizers.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Hi- if you are really serious, in my experience the expense for the between the wheel chocks is a waste of money. I have nothing on my rig except the SteadyFast Stabilizers. Check out their website at SteadyFast.com. After installation I sold my tripod kingpin stabilizer because I didn't need it, it was extra weight, and wasn't as effective as what we have now. We are presently at the Buellton Rally in California and several people here have been very favorably impressed. There is virtually no movement in our RV - it's like being on a solid foundation. The developer has been working on perfecting his product for the past two years and is just coming out with production, hopefully this month. I understand his price will be very competitive, and probably some less than the others, and installation is about half what is needed for the "other" unit.
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:46 PM   #9
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

The only way I was able to stop it was bit the bullet and spent the $400.00 for the JT strong arm stabilizers.
We went with these too and have to say I am totally 100% happy that I did! Works just like that say!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Quote:

Mudchief: Did that price include installation too? If not, are they easy to install?

I am very much interested in getting them, as my husband walks with a VERY heavy foot and it drives me nuts!

Thanks,
Sue
RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:34 AM   #11
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Sue, I installed them myself. They are not hard to do. It is about a 6 hour project. You don't have to do it all at once. You can do one leg today hit the road and 2 days later do another leg until you are done.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:14 AM   #12
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Quote:

Sue, I installed them myself. They are not hard to do. It is about a 6 hour project. You don't have to do it all at once. You can do one leg today hit the road and 2 days later do another leg until you are done.
Thanks Mudchief for the reply and info!
RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #13
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
The real trick is to be the one who's doing all the moving. You don't notice it much, if at all, when you're the one moving. LOL
Sorry - couldn't resist.

Roto chocks (or another brand)- king pin tri-pod - and scissor jacks at several points under the frame are about the only way to get most of it out. That may be worthwhile if you're staying put for a while.

Gary
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
With an electric drill it only takes maybe 10 seconds to drop the scissor jacks. Plus time to position some blocks. I use the drill for the rear stabilizers, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:54 PM   #15
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Cyrus, I agree with the others, Roto-Choks and JT Stabilizers are the next best thing to a stabilized TT or 5er.

Sue, mine cost $388 + tax(RV Show price)and I installed them myself(and I'm not a mechanic - just an old cop) Take a look at my photo album to see them.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #16
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I gotta put my 2-cents worth in. I have a king-pin stabilizer, the rear stabilizers, regular chocks (Lynx brand)...and I place a couple of regular jack stands behind the axels at the rear spring shackle. As I level the RV, a lot of weight goes on the jack stands instead of remaining on the axles and springs. This takes about 98% of the movement out of the RV and adds about 2 minutes and $35 to the job of setting up. They are also handy if I need to jack up the RV for any reason (changing tires, lubing the axles, adjusting the brakes).
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #17
neighborman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #323
I had the same problem and tried a number of different things. Having just returned from wintering in AZ and being quite pleased with the lack of movement in our 3670RL, here's what I did: Mounted a scissor jack behind the left rear wheel, and one in front of the right front wheel. I extended them about 2-3 inches past the point where they contact the ground, which took a lot of the weight off the springs. Next, I placed scissor type chocks between the wheels on both sides. Then after re-checking the front to back level, I put the tripod stabilizer under the front pin, and lowered the rear stabilizers in place. I'm a heavy guy, and the wife could only barely feel any movement even when I tried to make the rig move. Hope this
neighborman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:35 AM   #18
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Where can one get roto chocks, did search could not find them on INTERNET.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:31 AM   #19
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I installed my JT Strong Arm Stabilizers this past week-end What a diffrence in the movment of the RV, So far money well spent.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:34 AM   #20
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Broome,

Check out this site: http://www.rotochok.com/index.htm

Lou
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote