Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Day/Night Shade

Well I cannot say anymore that I have not had trouble with my Day/Night shades, We had the one on the side of the large slide die. What I would like to know is if you order one is it ready to just put up or do you have to string it????? I was looking on Camping World and they don't carry them anymore but they charge $38.00 to install them.Hmmm.I would like to order one but we could not fix the other one, so I am wondering if there is a lot more work to it than I think. Thank You for any information I am at a loss on this one..LOL

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Here is a diagram on how to restring them darn things I have another I'll find and post it.

http://i17.tinypic.com/34ryx4j.jpg

Found it.

http://www.fixmyblinds.com/instructions-09.html

TT2
Old 01-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Look on the bottom of the shade. The company's name is there. It may be the wrong phone number because Goshen/Elkhart area code was changed a while back. The company, Specialty Window Coverings in Elkhart, IN, telephone 574-262-5190, will send you the proper string along with a restringing guide that will allow you to restring the shade yourself. I've restrung three of mine and found that the new string is much better. They walk you through step by step. Just call them and tell them of your problem, that you have a Keystone product that used their shades in the rig and that they (the shades) have to be restrung. That's a lot cheaper than buying a new shade and having it installed. Doesn't cost anything!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:17 AM   #4
glenwynn
Established Member

M.O.C. #4324
This is a site that someone posted on this forum, it has pics of restring a blind on a montana

http://www.cocking.anikast.ca/Daynite/

Hope it helps
Glen
glenwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
If you choose to buy new ones, I would think it should only take a few minutes. Adjusting the tension is probably the most time consuming part. As I have said here several times before, I am convinced that most of the probems that people have with the shades are caused by too much tension.

The blinds in our trailer were made by Irvine Shade and Blind in Elkhart. There is a picture of the label on my website quoted in the message above.

Good luck, whatever route you go.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Lett us know how this turns out. I can never get these things to close where they are even. One side looks like it is half open and the other closed. But I ain't too domesticated either.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:11 AM   #7
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Had to replace the one over our kitchen window. The only thing we had to do was to adjust the tension. Installation tooka about fifteen minutes and that includes taking off the valance.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:41 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Can you lube those strings at all??? I know you can loosen the tension, but I was wondering if there is someting that you can apply like a wax (bowhunters, you know what I'm talking about) that would increase the life and resiliency of these strings? Maybe some bow string wax... Anyone ever try that???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
My DW used soap on the strings in our Condo. Being very careful and keeping the bind even when you put it up and down works the best. After a while it loosenes up fron the soap (no drag) and works great. The "SECRET" is, Keep the blind level when moving up or down.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you buy a new one, you'll need to remove the valance before you can acces the screws to remove the shade. There will be two screws, sometimes three, in the valance. Or were when I was removing the valances to film the windows for winter. You have to feel around with a finger to find them but they are there. Then you can remove the screws for the shade. The hardest part of the install will be adjusting the tension on the strings. Feel a good one first so you know how tight it should feel. Loosen the bobbin thing to turn it and adjust the tension.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Thanks to all of you for the great information, I will be ordering a new one soon and can only hope I can figure out the tension on it. LOL
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote