Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2004, 03:31 AM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Live from Hurricane Jeanne!

I have been busy again, doing you know what. Making decisions and getting ready again.

Right now I'm sitting in Disney's All Star Music with Miss Montana and Lady Ram sitting in the parking lot. The wind is coming on pretty strong and the rain is horizontal. The sustained winds are about 75 and the gusts up to 90 or so. We are by no means taking it as hard as the coast but it's ugly.

I feel very safe in this resort. We have power which is more than I can say for many parts of the state...again. Disney moved us from Ft Wilderness yesterday and told us to have enough food and supplies for 24 hours. Disney does a good job of taking care of you. I had thought about heading over to the West coast, but from the looks of this storms current direction, I'm glad I am where I am. Besides I'm running out of "running funding".

I started leaking again in the bedroom last week and I'm a bit worried about that because the rain is coming from the right direction to make that happen. I took pictures and I'm going to email them to Keystone this morning so they know this is not hurricane related. This actually is the first time I have had time to even think about it.

My father stayed in Sebring with a friend and called me this morning and told me a Condo Carport roof has relocated itself to the top of his and his friends cars. He has no idea how his house is yet. They are without power. He was on his way up here yesterday when he changed his mind.

I went out this morning and walked the corridor to check on the "rig". She looked Ok but a Motor Home close by has it's awning flapping in the wind.

I accepted a great position last week. Guess where? Melbourne. I was supposed to start Oct 4. Had reservations for the Space Coast RV park beginning Sept 30. If you have been watching you know Melbourne has taken another serious hit.

Well that's my update. I hope we hear from Tom soon (Lightning Jack) as it looks as if Jeanne is heading his way.

Looking outside my window I can see the trees whipping around in circles and every now and then they all go straight over in one direction. This is supposed to go on all day. Disney is taking the hit this time. But I do feel safe in this building.

It's getting worse out. I'm going to sign off and check back later. I hope all those Rally folks are having a great time. Goshen is looking pretty good right now. Might have gotten my leak fixed too. Yeah right!

Sign me...Hurricane weary in Florida!

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 04:26 AM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
fla native I am so glad that you are in a safe place, I have been wondering how you were doing. Thanks for posting and keeping us up to date. Hope that your fathers home did not receive any damage. Please keep us posted on how things are going.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 04:58 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Keep the courage up. Things will get better.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 05:44 AM   #4
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
fla native, you must be so weary of fleeing storms. I can't imagine going thru that one time, not to mention time-after-time. All our thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone else who is being battered by these storms.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 02:55 PM   #5
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Hi Fla Native,

Great to see you post in and give an update. The eye of Jeane went overhead about an hour ago so it looks like we are in the clear except for the followup bands.

Between the last two storms I will have to replace some screen but it was getting old anyway. Have a tree down and so does my neighbor accross the street so tomorrow is chainsaw day. My son is on his way back home to Deltona so I will find out tomorrow if I have to help him.

Did not lose power!!! That helps. 3 days the last time.

Congratulations on the new job.

Another leak? What a big bummer.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 04:46 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We are glad to hear from our Florida MOC members, have not heard from Rob Cooley in a long time, several people asked about him here at the rally. Let me tell you, we have been watching the tv reports and talking about our concern for you Florida members. Keep your chins up gang!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 07:53 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the posing fla native. Glad to hear you are ok. Hang in there. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:52 AM   #8
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Well it's the morning after. The sun is shining and Disney is up and running again. This place is amazing. There is a little tree debris on the walks and in the pools but all no structural damage of any kind that I can see.

Miss Montana did not receive any damage but the kitchen carpet is very wet this morning. I'm not sure where it came in. It looks like from the bottom of the slide. Things were a little tense yesterday evening as I stood on the balcony watching a Minnie Winnie that had parked directly behind Miss Montana, with their sides to the wind. This little Winnie did a lot of rocking back and forth. I kept saying, "Oh, please don't be top heavy". He lost his awning and parts of his AC tore off. There were two other Motor Homes that lost their awnings. They too were park side to the wind.

I did my best calculations on which direction to point the rig based on what I know about hurricane winds and their direction. Using my compass I found parking the nose of LadyRam straight north with the rear of the Miss Montana taking the brunt of the wind payed off. I did not want the wind beating the front cap and pushing away from the hitch. And definitely did not want a side wind.

My father did not fare so well. His carport is gone. His front porch inclosure is gone. Including the door. He has very wet carpet from leaks after the shingles went. It's not the worst it could be put it his going to be a challenge for him. There is not power. I have to continue seeking employment and well it's going to be difficult but we'll work through it.

There are so many people in such horrid situations today. People think I'm kidding but I keep saying before people start rebuilding again they might want to consult Team Disney. Disney's light poles don't move. All the icons all over the place don't move. Signs don't move. It can be done. Disney took a beating with unrelenting sustained winds at 65 to 80 for 24 hours and gusts up to 100 mph. I met many people yesterday who use Disney as their evacuation destination. For good reason. Of course you have to be able to afford it. I was lucky with the FL resident camping rate.

Looks like I will be moving back to Ft Wilderness tomorrow and then try to sort out where I go from here. I'm still hope for the job in Melbourne but I'm not sure the Space Coast RV Resort is up and running or if the job is still there. We'll see. I'll just keep putting one foot in front of the other and moving forward.

Nothing out their off the coast of Africa.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 09:54 AM   #9
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Oh no! I'm sorry about your Dad and I'm hoping he is able to get it fixed quickly and it isn't too expensive. Good luck to you with the job hunt, my husband still doesn't have a job either and it's getting down to the wire. I'm not sure how much longer we can go w/out his income. Good luck to you.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:53 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Fla Native
Glad to hear Miss Montana made it okay. Sorry about your Dad. I know how hard it is on older people to have troubles and have to make changes. They worry a lot. My daughter that just moved to Florida in July (Gulf Port) came to Calif. on Thursday for her sister's wedding and can't get back home. She is stuck in Las Vegas (poor baby) but had very little money with her so it hasn't been much fun. (Yes Mom and Dad sent them some money). Hopefully she will fly tomorrow morning and be home tomorrow night. They are thinking they might not have had much damage. They have lucked out so far. Keep your chin up. We are all pulling for you.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote