Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Montana Convince Station

One of the things I really liked about the Montanas when I was looking for a 5th wheel was the convince station. I thought the idea of having the water inlets and cable plug all neatly together and inside a locked door was a great idea. I was showing my Montana to someone at the last RV Park we stayed at and he said he thought that the water hose and the TV cable would make a highway for ants, mice and even snakes to get into the basement of the 5th wheel.

Anyone had problems with this? Anyone have and safeguards they use to prevent this?

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Grant,

I think Bingo did with a critter going up the hose. Not sure what the fix is yet.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Not a problem in 13 months..and we parked on a giant ant hill in Alabama..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I would not worry about that. They could just as easy crawl up your front landing gear or tires and get into your unit.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
JimB

M.O.C. #7250
If you are really concerned about this, you can sprinkle some Comet cleanser around anything where it leaves the ground (around the tires/jacks). We have done this when we've put our RV or boat into storage for any length of time. For what it's worth, our previous motorcoaches had the same situation with the utilities in one location, and we never had a problem with critters coming in that way.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Use a good long lasting insect spray. Spray on and around everything on the Monty that touches the ground. This includes front jacks, rear stabilizers, tires (both inside and out), sewer line, cable TV and freshwater hose. It is only necessary to spray the first 6 to 8 inches.
Florida is famous for ants espeicially the fire ants and in 4 years we have never had any insect invasions.
BUT be careful parking under trees as this could also become a direct access. Birds can also carry ants on their bodies.
As far as snakes? You're on you own but we have not encountered any snakes as yet.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
If the trailer will be sitting for any length of time, I spray like Glenn does...and never let tree limbs touch the coach...that's how the local ants get in. Usually it's easier to climb on the roof and cut the offending limb than move the trailer.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Same as Rich when we were in Alabama. Had some massive ant hills around the parking spot, but never had any problems with them coming up the hoses. Been on the road for 8 out of 10 months with this Tana, and absolutely love the hose and cable setup. No problem with critters.

bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #9
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
well the 1st thing if you are afraid is there are 2 covers over the opening ... the lower cover i drilled a 3/8 hole foe the tv wire then a 7'8 hole for the water hose end to go in to a dif spot in that cover now the lower vover in in all the time and no snakes or rats but ants and mice ,, we can't keep them out of a all concrete house so how can you keep them out of a rv

john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
FYI, the meeces did come into the convenience station by coming up the hose this spring. I completely stuffed the bottom hole full with metal screening and it eliminated the varmint problem. Haven't experienced any ant problems or the eight legged crawlies (boy would it ever be on if DW had knowledge of visiting spiders!!!!!!). I am hoping to come up with some kind of a large funnel to invert in the opening and allow the cable and hose to enter. The funnel opening would face downward, the holes would be sealed, and the funnel would be pulled tight against the lower hole opening. Should work but mice are persistent when they know there are edible goodies to be had.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:00 AM   #11
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

I would not worry about that. They could just as easy crawl up your front landing gear or tires and get into your unit.
Thanks Mudchief, I hadn't even thought about the landing gear or tires. I guess I will wait until I actually have a problem before I start worrying.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:10 AM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Wal-Mart sells a spray product called "BugOut" for ~$7 per gallon. It comes with an attached sprayer.

During setup, we spray everything that touches the ground. We haven't had a crawly thingy inside in 8 months.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:45 AM   #13
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Comet Cleanser? You can bet I am going to get some and try it. Ma. has more ants than at home in Fl. These big carpenter ants (some up to over an inch long) get in every where. So far this year the spray has kept them out. A little expensive, but at least no ant. We will try the comet and see how the carpenters like that. Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote