Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2009, 04:23 AM   #41
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
IMHO I have, as a relatively new member, sensed that any time discussion gets into good constructive criticism of quality, there is a tendancy to shun away. I tend to get better feed back on other forums for the technical problems that I need with a new unit that I have concerns on Safety and quality of the Unit for us as a family. Construction, mechanical, and electrical continue to bother me each time I come across little problems and this is prevalent in the RV industry and must noted by the user as the Sounding Board. I am sorry but I have a straong mechical/electrical background and some of these quality issues really bother me. There are some great forums out there with a wealth of expertise and that is what is important in being a member in having the capability to tap that resource. Overall MOC does an excellent job and as long as there is a process to ensure the Forum doesn't "go off the tracks", it will continue to excell!!! Ellis

8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #42
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There have been many discussions about Montana and RV industry quality here. I have commented many times on quality and my views are well known.We also recognize that the quality issue is industry wide and do not single out Keystone/Montana as the only brand that has quality issues.
I comment on Montana quality issues because I have a Montana.It is more in how one addresses the issue in discussion. We should address a quality issue, if it is a quality issue,in a constructive way that will help others to avoid problems.. It has helped me many times. We have no problems with the administrators and moderators and the manner they administrate the forum. We are now at Burnside RV with a Montana issue. Something broke. I will report what broke and what the fix was so it may help others without any negativity toward Keystone/Montana.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #43
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Good post Rich, I agree!!!!! With all points....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:53 PM   #44
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Rich, I suppose you are a better man than I am. There is no way I could keep a positive attitude if something in the suspension on the Mountaineer broke and had us going down the road cattywhompus. I believe in laying blame where it belongs. Sure Lippert builds the frame, but how long has Keystone used the Lippert frame? How many frame problems have we seen? Yet, we're willing to say, "oh well, it's not Keystone's fault, let's all just figure out how to fix it".

How easily could you have wiped out you and DW, or even another family? This is an issue just like the Mission tires; junk they used that someone else built, probably on a low bid. Perhaps they'll patch yours up, but how many more are out there waiting to fail?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:49 AM   #45
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
As for Brad, he is fine I read his post on the Big Board most every day, he is still out there in Beautiful Colorado, ruff life. As for Keystone and Lippert frames. Things do break, and bend. I have a John Deere Tractor and the 3 point hitch arms have been replaced twice, some of the problem is me. Back to Lippert as I understand it they build the frames to what ever spec's the manufactor wants. Could be Keystone might want to buid a heavier frame. Then you will need a bigger Truck. I sit at the service center and witnessed Keystone repair the Frame Flex issue in some 2001 thru 2003's and I know they weren't charged for the repair. And we all know the warranty in most 5th wheel say you aren't suppose to use them for full timing. I just don't believe that Lippert welders goes to work and on purpose doesn't properly weld frames. And we all have hit very ruff roads and RR tracks. Last point, how many RV frame builders are building frame in the Elkhart/Goshen area??? GBY...

P.S. Rich good Luck on your repair.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:39 AM   #46
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Maybe the admins would reconsider.

At this time there are 44 replies, and 1566 reads!

Obviously, this forum has lost a valuable member!

How did we get from the topic "Brad??" to Rich's suspension?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:00 AM   #47
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Do it for one and you have to do it for all.

And of those 44 replies,
How many were repeats from the same individual.
How many actually pertained to Brad and not someone else who was also locked out.
How many were not off topic? For example; Rich's problem and the replies.

and the 1566 reads only tells me that there are over 1500 readers that either had no opinion or maybe agreed with his being locked but didn't care to get into a discussion.

Cannot disagree on that but if he broke the rules the Admins had a job to do and did it.

Well, unless it's something earth shattering about Brad maybe it's time to move on and let this thread go into the archives.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:22 AM   #48
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Do it for one and you have to do it for all.

And of those 44 replies,
How many were repeats from the same individual.
How many actually pertained to Brad and not someone else who was also locked out.
How many were not off topic? For example; Rich's problem and the replies.

and the 1566 reads only tells me that there are over 1500 readers that either had no opinion or maybe agreed with his being locked but didn't care to get into a discussion.

Cannot disagree on that but if he broke the rules the Admins had a job to do and did it.

Well, unless it's something earth shattering about Brad maybe it's time to move on and let this thread go into the archives.
I agree, number 46.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:19 AM   #49
FlashG
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7971
I would like to see Brad come back as well!
FlashG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #50
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
The last posting I recall Brad made was in response to licensing RV's in states where sales tax on RV's is not charged instead of licensing in your resident state. Brad was very vocal about licensing RV's out of state to avoid paying your own share of the taxes. Brad posted a link from Colorado that backed his stand on the ruling. His comment to that was not well taken by several members and eventually the thread was suspended by the MOC admins. If this was the cause of his locked status then I think the administrators are pushing the envelope on reasons to lock out members. Does anyone recall any other postings from Brad later than this?
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:51 PM   #51
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Okay, I've read all of this for a week and have decided to add my 2 cents. This is just MHO.

Before we nominate this guy for sainthood, I can remember a couple of his posts more than a year ago that were what I would call unkind. New members will not remember this. He did have a lot of knowledge but if he didn't agree with something or someone, he got testy. A long time ago there was another member much like Brad, very knowledgable. However, this member wrote very nasty emails to other members. He eventually was locked out.
Remember not all communication happens here on the forum. We have no idea what was said in emails.
I have never known anyone to be locked out for saying something against Keystone as long as it was done in a civil manner. Goodness knows there have been many posts complaining about quality, tires, etc.
We are guests here in this private forum.
Also just because we are in the 9,000s for numbers does not mean we have 9,000 members. There is usually a little over 4,000. Members leave for various reasons; death, bought an SOB, didn't like us, etc.
We have met many wonderful friends from this group, we hope it doesn't change.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:52 PM   #52
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Brad was intellegent and knowledgeable, he was also outspoken and confontational so I was not shocked to learn he was locked out.The administrators had a job to do and they did it.

8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #53
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I agree with 8.1al, wholeheartedly!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:47 PM   #54
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I guess I'm not surprised either...I witnessed a few of his moments too. I still miss him though - he brought another flavor to the forums. I'm sorry it turned out this way.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:00 AM   #55
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Now this is just what I was talking about.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:34 AM   #56
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
I also received a lot of useful information from some of Brad's post. I noticed also, that on several threads, something hit a nerve with Brad. His next reply would be a little testy. Its too bad his confrontational mood would get in the way of his wealth of knowledge. I also miss MOST of his post.
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:14 AM   #57
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EagleRunner

The last posting I recall Brad made was in response to licensing RV's in states where sales tax on RV's is not charged instead of licensing in your resident state. Brad was very vocal about licensing RV's out of state to avoid paying your own share of the taxes. Brad posted a link from Colorado that backed his stand on the ruling. His comment to that was not well taken by several members and eventually the thread was suspended by the MOC admins. If this was the cause of his locked status then I think the administrators are pushing the envelope on reasons to lock out members. Does anyone recall any other postings from Brad later than this?
It was a different subject that resulted in his being locked out.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #58
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Yall got to understand the admins, I have enough trouble keeping myself in line, let alone 4000 or so other members!
For what is said here, I think they do an exceptional job and thank them for allowing me to post MHO's!
By the way, this is OMHO!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #59
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
I work in a world where there are many rules, regs, guidelines, orders, etc. Brad is a good guy! He helped me many times when I first joined and sometimes I did not agree with him but that is what this is, opinions, but the forum has rules and we are all to go by them, no matter how good you are! Be safe! John Daniels
Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #60
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
The best thing that ever has come from the MOC for me is Brad and Dory Smeaton. I met Brad and Dory at Creede,Co when I went to pick up my new 3485 from Durango,Co. Since then Brad and Dory have become close friends. I have been to Lake Mac, Lake Powell, and twice now to Navajo State Park with Brad. I know him very well. He has shown me alot of different things about the Rv and along with Dory is nothing more than just very fine people. Brad like the rest of us has opinions about alot of things. Emails Letters and posts in websites can be taken alot of different ways by all of us. Sometimes it's not the best way to give an opinion. I won't go into why Brad was locked out. I do know why and I have an opinion on the reason, however I do know that for all the people that miss Brad he is everything you miss. I am glad I have the opportunity to know Brad his wife and family. Just my opinion I think it's a great loss to this site and I have limited my visits because of it. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote