Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Pin-Box adjustments for new deeper truck beds

I just bought a Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariart 4x4 single axle last week. The dealer informed me that the new Ford beds are 2" taller then earlier models. I measured my 2003 F-350 and found it was 20" and the 2017 is 21-1/2" deep. You will need to have the truck hitch at it highest setting, being 18" bed to plate. Next you have to adjust the pin-box by dropping it 2" to the next setting. This will give the 4" clearance you need for the bed to 5'er.
Take your pinbox tri-pod and place it under the pin. Next get a screw on broom handle and stand it against the pin-box next to the 4 square electrical box. Lower the trailer to make contact with the broom handle, do not put to much pressure to it, just contact. Now turn the tri-pod cup to make contact with the pin. Spray liquid wrench to the nuts inside the pin-box. Use a breaker bar with 1" socket to loosen 1st 4 nuts each side. Now use electric impact to loosen bolts, and crecent wrench to help remove nuts and washers but not the bolts yet. Disconnect break away wires at 4 square box. Now remove bolts and raise the trailer. The pin-box should rest in position. Raise the pin-box slowly, you may have to TAP with a hammer and line up the holes, insert bolts and nuts. After all 12 bolts and nuts are placed, hold nuts with cresent wrench and tighten with impact. Reconnect break away wires and your done. This should take about a half hour. Remember, you do not remove the pin-box, only disconnect bolts.
Hope it helps

Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:50 AM   #2
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
So after all those adjustments are you towing anywhere near level?
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Wheelhouse, I would be surprised if you can do with only 4" of clearance. I run 6" and still come close when turning into or leaving angled driveways.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
We hooked up and moved from Canyon Vista to Mesa Regal. I was in such a hurry for checkout time I didn't check the clearance height. I need to practice a little more with the backup cameras for the fifth wheel alignment.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #5
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
I have the rear camera that shows the box and a line to lineup the pinbox. Takes some getting used to as so far it takes me longer to get lined up than before. Will keep practicing.
Regarding the bed and sidewall height we ended up adjusting the hitch to its lowest setting. Had new axles put on the 5er and had them flip the install so they are mounted below the springs which brings the middle and rear of the trailer up. We are now, for the first time, riding almost level. Still have 6" between trailer nose and top of sidewalls. We do have the 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box which is a pretty deep pinbox so keeps the nose up higher than most standard pin boxes.
So far enjoying the ride of the new truck. Pulls well but gas mileage so far a bit worse than the 2011 F350. Perhaps it will break-in and improve.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote